ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-10, 07:16 AM
Jr Member

Johnny Drama is on a distinguished road
Medication life long?

Do those with ADHD that are not diagnosed with it until adulthood have to take medication for the rest of their life to feel normal. I have read that children are able to overcome the symptoms if started on medication early enough and was wondering if it was possible for adults to achieve the same results.

Is medication that works for someone with ADHD designed to make them feel normal?
Old 12-05-10, 08:53 AM

Sweet_pea has a spectacular aura aboutSweet_pea has a spectacular aura about
Re: Medication life long?

I haven't heard of children overcoming their symptoms if started on medication early enough. That sounds like a misconception. Medication doesn't cure ADHD - as soon as you stop, you're back to your normal unmedicated self, regardless of your age or how young you were when you started taking it.

So yes, medication is life-long.

Re: your last sentence - ouch. Are you calling us abnormal? :P
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sweet_pea For This Useful Post:
Johnny Drama (12-05-10), peripatetic (12-06-10), Spikey 723 (12-05-10)
Old 12-05-10, 09:17 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Medication is supposed to assist ADHDers with functioning. "Feeling normal" makes no sense.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Abi (12-05-10), Dizfriz (12-05-10), Sweet_pea (12-11-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-10, 09:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice

Yeah my doctor said I'd be on it for the rest of my life. Although at least it's optional. If I don't I will be a complete failure at most aspects of life, but I at least get that choice, unlike people with conditions and illnesses that need life long medication or they could die.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PixiePlumber For This Useful Post:
Abi (12-05-10), Dizfriz (12-05-10), ginniebean (12-16-10), Johnny Drama (12-05-10), LaVieEnRose (12-06-10)
Old 12-05-10, 09:27 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_pea View Post
I haven't heard of children overcoming their symptoms if started on medication early enough. That sounds like a misconception. Medication doesn't cure ADHD - as soon as you stop, you're back to your normal unmedicated self, regardless of your age or how young you were when you started taking it.

So yes, medication is life-long.

I didn't mean cured, but I assume those diagnosed with it earlier in life tend to be able to cope with it better when not on medication?

I'm recently diagnosed and just can't imagine taking a pill everyday the rest of my life.

Haha, sorry I didn't word that very well.
Old 12-05-10, 09:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice

To be honest I can't imagine my life much further than the next 3 or 4 years. I can see myself finishing uni then off to get job interviews for office jobs. Finding inventive ways of making my hair look tidy and working out how to hide my piercings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PixiePlumber For This Useful Post:
Abi (12-05-10), lynette19775 (12-07-10)
Old 12-05-10, 09:31 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
Medication is supposed to assist ADHDers with functioning. "Feeling normal" makes no sense.
You're right. Been up all night since I couldn't sleep after taking my medication yesterday afternoon. So now I'm getting tired and not making sense
Old 12-05-10, 09:33 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tired + ADHD = Super ADHD!!!

It's true. If I'm really tired then even on meds I am still a bit inattentive!
The Following User Says Thank You to PixiePlumber For This Useful Post:
lynette19775 (12-11-10)
Old 12-05-10, 09:44 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiePlumber View Post

hmm I bet that's a riot!
Old 12-05-10, 09:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiePlumber View Post

Pixie-you're just preaching to the choir.

My general perception of the whole "med" thing is that it is optional. I sense that paring meds down may be an option for me after I have corrected some of my natural thinking.

Adderall is a tool I only intend to use temporarily. When I first started it, I was totally committed to taking it for the rest of my life. I am seeing so many improvements, and that I am able to maintain them when meds have worn off. It's like the meds gave me a point of reference for what might feel "normal." Now I can identify when I am pushing too hard or becoming overwrought. I hope that makes some sense.... I was up early baking, so I'm a little tired as well.

I don't need the same level of focus at home as what I need to work full time. Around the house I can compensate pretty well. I think Strattera would be a better choice for me if I could stay closer to my home or go to college full time. I need the additional focus from the Adderall for now. It's kind of like I need the adderall to dig myself out of the messes I have made for myself.... then the strattera (or something similar) could help me to maintain and use the things I am learning.

Capiche??
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
Old 12-05-10, 11:28 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
Pixie-you're just preaching to the choir.

My general perception of the whole "med" thing is that it is optional. I sense that paring meds down may be an option for me after I have corrected some of my natural thinking.

Adderall is a tool I only intend to use temporarily. When I first started it, I was totally committed to taking it for the rest of my life. I am seeing so many improvements, and that I am able to maintain them when meds have worn off. It's like the meds gave me a point of reference for what might feel "normal." Now I can identify when I am pushing too hard or becoming overwrought. I hope that makes some sense.... I was up early baking, so I'm a little tired as well.

I don't need the same level of focus at home as what I need to work full time. Around the house I can compensate pretty well. I think Strattera would be a better choice for me if I could stay closer to my home or go to college full time. I need the additional focus from the Adderall for now. It's kind of like I need the adderall to dig myself out of the messes I have made for myself.... then the strattera (or something similar) could help me to maintain and use the things I am learning.

Capiche??
Great I appreciate your perspective! I want to eventually get to that "point of reference" and I am guessing it will take me several years of life and adjusting however. I'm in for the ride though.
Old 12-05-10, 12:23 PM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I didn't mean cured, but I assume those diagnosed with it earlier in life tend to be able to cope with it better when not on medication?

I'm recently diagnosed and just can't imagine taking a pill everyday the rest of my life.
I haven't seen anything indicating that those who are diagnosed earlier do any better than those diagnosed later. The medications really do not change anything but act as a set of reading glasses, so to speak, to help you do what you need to do.

What does count are the skills involved in dealing with ADHD. If the child picks these up early then they may have had more time to hone them but if not learned, I suspect both are on equal footing.

As to having to take the medications for life, that depends on the severity of their ADHD and the personality of the individual. Some will and some can lower or dispense with medications all together. It just depends, each has to discover their own path.

Dizfriz

Just some thoughts,

Dizfriz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Abi (12-05-10), Illiterati (12-06-10), peripatetic (12-06-10)
Old 12-05-10, 01:59 PM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
I haven't seen anything indicating that those who are diagnosed earlier do any better than those diagnosed later. The medications really do not change anything but act as a set of reading glasses, so to speak, to help you do what you need to do.

What does count are the skills involved in dealing with ADHD. If the child picks these up early then they may have had more time to hone them but if not learned, I suspect both are on equal footing.

As to having to take the medications for life, that depends on the severity of their ADHD and the personality of the individual. Some will and some can lower or dispense with medications all together. It just depends, each has to discover their own path.

Dizfriz

Just some thoughts,

Dizfriz
I think I have a vague memory of seeing some comments in some of Russell Barkley's recent writing. There was a comment that there was a statistical increase of white matter in children that were treated early for ADHD as opposed to adults who have not been treated.

Then my counselor has made comments to me in the past that she believes that some of the pathways in our brain can be healed to a certain extent. (I really don't know what she is basing this comment on.)

My walk away message from those two bits of information, I want to be hopeful that I can learn solutions for my executive function difficulties; then at some point they will become second nature to me. The ADHD will always be there, but I hope I can minimze it's affect. KWIM??
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (12-05-10), ginniebean (12-16-10)
Old 12-05-10, 02:32 PM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
I think I have a vague memory of seeing some comments in some of Russell Barkley's recent writing. There was a comment that there was a statistical increase of white matter in children that were treated early for ADHD as opposed to adults who have not been treated.

Then my counselor has made comments to me in the past that she believes that some of the pathways in our brain can be healed to a certain extent. (I really don't know what she is basing this comment on.)

My walk away message from those two bits of information, I want to be hopeful that I can learn solutions for my executive function difficulties; then at some point they will become second nature to me. The ADHD will always be there, but I hope I can minimze it's affect. KWIM??
I am reasonably up to date on ADHD but that is all. What you reported could be true but I haven't seen or forgot I saw anything on it.

The research does indicate that all the interventions we have studied have one thing in common; that as soon as you take them away the benefits go away, there is no carry over. An additional view (and it is mine)is that when you learn tools for dealing with ADHD, the learning carries over.

What this means is that you have to keep using the tools, including medication, to maintain any benefits from them but as you learn non medical techniques, these can stay with you and be used often and hopefully become an integral part of who you are.

Actually I have a good bit of hope that we may have some tools in the future that do have carry over.

I have a lot of hope for Cognitive Therapy specifically designed for ADHD but we are not there yet but there is some good work being done currently on this.

Good questions,

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Impetus (12-05-10)
Old 12-06-10, 03:48 AM
Jr Member

playcrackthesky will become famous soon enough

Johnny Drama, may I ask why you are disturbed by the idea of taking medication for the rest of your life? I'm in no way attempting to counter your views, just curious.