ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-19, 11:08 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,960 Times in 7,926 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

How compulsive are you guys?

I think part of it is my add, part of it is bipolar and a LOT of it is just being immature on my part! lol

I've jumped back into a hobby, and like with most things...I jump in head first. I've been completely obsessed with it and loving it.
I've absolutely been manic. For over a month. I really like my manic episodes as they're usually the times in my life where I'm at my most confident and I excel at things.

It's not all good though...I typically have sleep issues during these times where I don't get nearly as much as I need.

And I can be VERY impulsive at spending money during these periods.
I blew through all the money I had this month quickly acquiring more for the hobby...I've been flat broke for the last 10 or so days. Finally broke down and sold a couple of things on ebay yesterday.
Immediatly made another purchase.
It's like I'm obsessed and it gives me a huge rush to do tons of research and find just the thing I want. Then it's exciting to wait for it in the mail, and it's always a huge joy to open it up and play with it.
Then very soon after I'm looking for the next high. So I start obsessing again, and start hunting for my next purchase.

Meanwhile my cupboards and fridge are damn near empty, my car is without insurance, and I've yet to pay my internet bill this month (not due till the 28th luckily).

I think things will work out...I'm going to put more stuff up on ebay tomorrow (haha...hoping to come up with enough for internet...then I'm SO planning on using the rest to buy the next thing for my hobby! xP ).

All this being said...I very rarely truly regret my purchases. Even after I move on from whatever hobby it is and am no longer interested in it. I love getting new things and the things I do get are usually very nice things, and I freaking love them.
I don't regret any of the purchases I've made in the last month. I'm having a ton of fun with everything. It sucks to be so broke...but at least I don't feel bad about my obsession fueled purchases lol.

Any of you guys relate?

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Last edited by psychopathetic; 05-18-19 at 11:32 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (05-19-19), namazu (05-19-19)
Old 05-18-19, 11:20 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,960 Times in 7,926 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Do you guys become obsessed with your hobbies? This is very typical for me.
I got back into yo-yoing (lol stop laughing at me!)...and it's become the only thing I ever think about pretty much. I'm constantly on a facebook group and a couple of forums...as well as youtube and a big online yoyo store chatting with people and trying to figure out what I NEED next lol. I've got a damn nice collection of yo-yos now.
I'm really getting down a lot of the old tricks I was able to do too!

It's a rush. Whatever the hobby is at the time. It's like I get high off of it.

Is this more to do with add, or bipolar? I know it's a mixture of both. I may e-mail my pill lady and ask if I can increase some meds I'm on that are suppose to help with my 'highs' (she has me on it to help my brain from racing so much at night which makes it super hard to fall asleep).

I don't really think it's super unhealthy for the most part. Though when I start overspending like I am, and when I start having a really hard time failing asleep cause I'm so buzzed up about the hobby...then it starts getting unhealthy.

Do you guys do the same? Completely obsess on your hobbies?
Is this hyperfocusing? Or is this something else?

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (05-19-19), midnightstar (05-19-19), namazu (05-19-19)
Old 05-19-19, 09:51 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,540 Times in 13,924 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Do you guys become obsessed with your hobbies? This is very typical for me.
I got back into yo-yoing (lol stop laughing at me!)...and it's become the only thing I ever think about pretty much. I'm constantly on a facebook group and a couple of forums...as well as youtube and a big online yoyo store chatting with people and trying to figure out what I NEED next lol. I've got a damn nice collection of yo-yos now.
I'm really getting down a lot of the old tricks I was able to do too!

It's a rush. Whatever the hobby is at the time. It's like I get high off of it.

Is this more to do with add, or bipolar? I know it's a mixture of both. I may e-mail my pill lady and ask if I can increase some meds I'm on that are suppose to help with my 'highs' (she has me on it to help my brain from racing so much at night which makes it super hard to fall asleep).

I don't really think it's super unhealthy for the most part. Though when I start overspending like I am, and when I start having a really hard time failing asleep cause I'm so buzzed up about the hobby...then it starts getting unhealthy.

Do you guys do the same? Completely obsess on your hobbies?
Is this hyperfocusing? Or is this something else?
I went through a stage of collecting stones and hyperfocussed on them
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (05-19-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-19, 06:05 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,355 Times in 5,415 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Bullying prevention required course is reminding me of my school career. Both being passively inactive in the face of bullying (but it was a pure survival tactic) and also being the target.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-19-19), Little Missy (05-19-19), Lunacie (05-20-19), midnightstar (Yesterday), namazu (05-19-19), tudorose (05-19-19)