ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-08, 07:51 PM

ginny0619 is on a distinguished road
Help for Adult Daughter

HI all,

Quickly, my daughter was a hyper child with learning disabilities. She required little sleep. As she grew older she did not make completely logical decisions which required that I intervene. Now as an adult she suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. Recently she was diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety disorder and is taking meds for both. She is 29.

I have noticed that she has lost an extreme amount of weight and asked if she was anorexic or bulimic. She emphatically said no and preceded to eat a frozen pizza, explaining that her appetite is sporadic and that some days she feels no hunger; this was a side effect of the meds that she was prescibed for ADHD. I dont know the name of the drug. She has admitted that the meds slow the thoughts down. Any feedback here?

She had been employed for over a year as a legal secretary and was diagnosed during that employment. Her boss had been giving her leave for the dr appointments and medicinal adjustments while they found the right dosage. She had trouble waking in the mornings. She was suddenly fired for attendance.

She is now cleaning rooms at a motel but is having trouble there already. She is over cleaning which affects the time factor per room. My daughter is very clean and everything has its place. From what Ive read this is not a factor with those with ADHD. However my daughter says that keeping things tidy helps keep some of the clutter down in her brain and gives her a sense of some control in her life.

My daughter never finished school and is horrified at the idea of studying for her GED. She cant remember concepts like subraction, division, phonics, even though she has made several attempts to learn it. She was lucky with the legal secretary position but I doubt she will be able to make that kind of money again.

Her income at this point wont allow her to make her car notes and pay utilities, even though she is rent free. She also has a son that she is a wonderful mother to.

She has approached me with the idea of collecting SSDI but I am not sure. I know that she is struggling and thats not helping her but I cant imagine that she would collect enough under SSDI to take any of the financial pressure off.

Please help me with any suggestions. Are there government programs that will pay her to train for a job? What are the laws governing disabilities and employment? I would rather see her find a direction other than collecting SSDI. She is a beautiful young woman and deserves to be able to do the best for herself and her child.

Thanks in advance,
Ginny
Old 01-06-08, 07:54 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
Re: Help for Adult Daughter

Welcome to ADDForums Ginny
Old 01-07-08, 07:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about

Hi and welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear of the troubles your daughter is having. There is a lot of info here in the forums. Try using the search button at the top of the page to see if there is more information about training programs. It may be that it varies from State to State.

Kim
Old 01-07-08, 01:10 PM

Thanked 1,015 Times in 638 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

In the USA, is job training done by the Federal or State gov'ts?
Old 01-07-08, 02:54 PM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller