ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 08-03-12, 10:39 PM

Productive is on a distinguished road
Talking New member, recently diagnosed ADD on Dex

Hi, my user name is Productive only because I am trying to be positive instead of naming myself as Procrastinator which is how I always have been for my entire life until I started Dex for the first time! I find myself very productive when I take Dex at the right time in the morning. I can be very productive ONLY if I stay AWAY from addictive activities such as facebook games, emailing people, or watching TV - very dangerous for me while on Dex. because once started, I'll stay at it all day.

I have been taking Dex for about 3 months now.

Noticed tics in the muscles above my stomach, slight tics in my neck and sometimes in my ears. I feel like I am able to "feel" the inside of my throat, the heartbeats, the breathing processes more than when I am not on Dex. Annoying!

Also another thing that bugs me is I started to "feel" my head or face until I find something like a bump or whatever, and I pick at it!

My mouth gets dry sometimes, not everyday.

The worst part are the tics, and the lack of appetite. I go for hours without food but that's not good because I am already skinny enough from years of battling acid reflux and also recently diagnosed with overactive thyroid which is another reason why I am thin.

I have been reading posts in the Dex section for about an hour and it looks like the symptoms may go away if I ask my doc to increase the dose? Should I ? I am now on 10 mg Dextroamphet (spelled differently from what I see in this forum title but I think it's the same medicine, right?)

I don't want to switch meds, I already tried Stratta but it made me light-headed almost passing out and I hated that so Dex is good for me except for the tics and the lack of being hungry.

What do you think?

Thanks, Productive
Old 08-06-12, 07:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New member, recently diagnosed ADD on Dex

sometimes ticks can be controlled with the addition of clonidine.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-07-12, 12:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Vito, ADDer is just really niceVito, ADDer is just really niceVito, ADDer is just really niceVito, ADDer is just really nice
Re: New member, recently diagnosed ADD on Dex

Productive:

You really need to work this out with your doctor. All anyone here can offer you is their own experience and opinions. That might be helpful...or it might not.

You asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Productive View Post
...What do you think?
...so, based on the information you've provided, it doesn't sound like you need to increase your dosage. If anything, you might need less. Are you taking IR (instant release) tablets or ER (extended release) capsules? The difference can be significant, depending on your body chemistry. If you have a very high rate of metabolism, you might need to use less medication, especially if you aren't eating much.

But PLEASE take anything I've said here as opinion. I'm not a doctor. My first statement in this post is the best advice I can give you.