ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 11-15-20, 05:04 AM

Alexis Em is on a distinguished road
Writing assignments-complete confusion

Dear All,
I hope someone can suggest a way out of this. I'm a mature student-with a master's degree. I've always struggled with writing assignments and this has become so bad, I am paralysed with fear and shame and confusion-been diagnosed with depression-told I am an anxious perfectionist-just want to be better than classmates, and that I am scared of failing etc. Although I plan my work I never follow the plan- my mind starts in the middle of the assignment and my thoughts branch outwards in ever-increasing complexity. Now plagued with doubt and insecurity. I keep trying to attempt the writing only to be met with repeated failure. This has been going on for weeks. Trying to get some screening for ADD from college but fear will be told that I show insufficient symptoms. The rest of my college work is of a high standard but I have been unable to any written assignments because I have received no help with difficulty. My doctor says my anxiety is specific so cannot help. Any suggestions to how I can organise my thoughts and write would be much appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexis Em For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-16-20), TygerSan (11-22-20)
Old 11-15-20, 01:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,894 Times in 12,951 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Writing assignments-complete confusion

Welcome to the forum!

I graduated from high school 50 years ago and didn't go to college, so I really
can't offer much insight or help. Except to say, go ahead and get tested . . .
what have you got to lose? Treatment for adhd sometimes helps with anxiety.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-22-20)
Old 11-22-20, 09:06 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,741 Times in 5,535 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum. I can relate very well to your difficulty. I’ve always been told that I write very well, but I’m often in constant battle with myself over getting started. I procrastinated so long on my thesis that my supervisor despaired, and my first draft of my first chapter was terrible.

Writing on-demand and writing stuff on proscribed topics leaves me cold.

I’ve never in my life completed a traditional outline. When required to turn one in, I write it after the fact.

Most of my “prewriting” happens in my brain. I do often start in the middle, work outward, and the cut and paste to re-order.

I’ve definitely researched and developed multiple source lists for the same project.

ADHD medication helped me somewhat with research, but I found that I still got stuck, and sometimes went down tangiential rabbit holes instead of focusing on the task at hand.

Personally I found I actually wrote better without the meds.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-22-20), namazu (11-22-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-20, 11:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,408 Times in 15,486 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

chadd is an excellent resource for information about adhd.

https://chadd.org/for-adults/diagnos...dhd-in-adults/

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-22-20), TygerSan (11-29-20)