ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 09-14-17, 04:12 AM

samilia is on a distinguished road
Question Switching from Strattera to Dexedrine or other stim? How is the transition done?

So, im seeing my psychiatrist next saturday to organise starting dex or ritalin (whichever one he chooses).

Im just wondering what the transition is like?
do you cold turkey strattera and start the stim the next day?

Do you feel withdrawal from Strattera and does that effect the way the stimulant will initially feel?

Can you combine strattera and a stim?
Strattera works for some adhd aspects and not others.

The reason i worry is im starting i may be starting a new job next week ans i dont want to go through hell when i am learning new things.

Thanks for your time, Sam.
Old 09-17-17, 09:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,688 Times in 12,963 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switching from Strattera to Dexedrine or other stim? How is the transition done?

*Disclaimer*I only took stratterra for 3 days so maybe I am not an expert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samilia View Post

Im just wondering what the transition is like?
do you cold turkey strattera and start the stim the next day?
Because Stratterra was originally made to be an antidepressant and take weeks to build up in your system you cant just stop-you have to wean off it but reducing your dose over time. If your doc tells you to just stop then I would question his or her competency.

Quote:
Do you feel withdrawal from Strattera and does that effect the way the stimulant will initially feel?
If you wean off it shouldnt be bad. Not sure if it will affect the stimulant but it depends on which one you take.

Quote:
Can you combine strattera and a stim?
Strattera works for some adhd aspects and not others.
i believe you can but ask your doctor.

Quote:
The reason i worry is im starting i may be starting a new job next week ans i dont want to go through hell when i am learning new things.

Thanks for your time, Sam.
Which stimulant is being considered?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 09-18-17, 07:12 AM

samilia is on a distinguished road
Re: Switching from Strattera to Dexedrine or other stim? How is the transition done?

Taken directly from the Eli Lilly website itself..

STRATTERA*can be discontinued without being*tapered.*STRATTERAcapsules are not intended to be opened, they should be taken whole [see Patient Counseling Information (17.6)]. The safety of single doses over 120 mg and total daily doses above 150 mg have not been systematically evaluated.

It is the SSRI meds you cant stop suddenly.

urggghh im so scared to start a new med.
probably will be dex as thats the drug of chosw for adults with adhd in australia.

we only have 3 types here.

ritalin/concerta

dexaphetamine

vyvance (which is rediculously priced)

Last time i stopped strattera i had panic attacks. I wonder if the dex will amplify that =(
Sponsored Links