ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 07-09-18, 05:02 PM

zadeh58 is on a distinguished road
Post Taking XR and IR for an 8 hour exam.

Hi all!

I have had ADHD ever since i was a young child. I was on concerta for a long time but switched over to adderall a few years ago to limit side effects i was having. The adderall has been working wonders and has stopped the onset of such side effects.

Currently prescribed both 15 and 20 mg of XR as well as 10mg of IR that i was prescribed in order to use on days where i want more control of being on/off my medications.

I mainly need my medications for school but try to not take them on the weekends to give my self a break and refresh my system.

Im currently studying and hoping to take an intense standardized test for graduate school, which spans around 12 hours over two consecutive days and was curious what this forum thought on combining IR and XR during the test in order to maintain the effects of the medication without risking the onset of withdrawal symptoms after a few hours.

I find that i always get sluggish after 5 hours of being on the XR and want to find a way to perhaps supplement with the IR half way through the exam in order to maintain my ability to "feel focussed" and medicated without worry of the meds wearing off.

So far during practice exams i have been using my XR in the morning as usual and after around 3-4 hours i will cut a 10mg IR in half to effectively supplement with 5mg of IR. It has been working somewhat but i was curious if it would be better and more effective to maybe take the IR in the morning and after 2-3 hours take the XR. Open to hearing suggestions. I mainly do not want the sluggish withdrawal symptoms to hit me during the exam and want to maintain a level of arousal that can keep me consistently around the same level throughout the test without my brain feeling like mush during the last half of the test.
Old 07-09-18, 05:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,417 Times in 11,485 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking XR and IR for an 8 hour exam.

Ask your doctor. They know everything.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969