ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 09-26-18, 10:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light
Notes from Barkley, true or false?

Some of my notes from Barkley. I noticed some people doubt his credibility or integrity while reading old threads, so I want to post my notes and check if there's disagreements with them.

There are 5 regions in the adhd brain that are smaller and or about 2-3 years behind in maturity.
1. orbital frontal cortex
2. midline anterior cingulate
3. cerebellum
4. basal ganglia
5. corpus callosum

I can't tell from my notes if it's the right side in all or some or one.

The emotional network goes from the frontal lobe, to the anterior cingulate to the amygdala, limbic system
-this is the area that makes the final call, the decision making, evaluates consequences
where emotional dysregulation happens?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
daveddd (10-26-18), mildadhd (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 06:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: Notes from Barkley, true or false?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisariver View Post
Some of my notes from Barkley. I noticed some people doubt his credibility or integrity while reading old threads, so I want to post my notes and check if there's disagreements with them.

There are 5 regions in the adhd brain that are smaller and or about 2-3 years behind in maturity.
3. cerebellum
4. basal ganglia
5. corpus callosum

The emotional networks goes from the frontal lobe, to the anterior cingulate to the amygdala, limbic system
-this is the area that makes the final call, the decision making, evaluates consequences

The emotional brain networks originate below the amygdala (lower limbic systems), example the dopaminergic SEEKING system (one of the instinctual primary emotional networks) first branches from the VTA up to the OFC.

[then form the OFC to the anterior cingulate...etc]

The primary emotional operating/processing systems evolved and always mature before our OFCs'.

In early life, primary emotional networks regulate behavior.

As we mature, tertiary cognitive networks learn to regulate emotional networks.

Lower primary and secondary emotional-affective networks modulate/regulate until about the age of 4-7* when our teriary cognitive networks begin to mature, and begin to take control our emotions associated with maturity.

We have two types of consciousness.

-affective consciousness (feelings without thought)(more observable in early life)
-cognitive consciousness. (thoughts about feelings)(more observable as we nature)

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 10-25-18 at 07:11 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
daveddd (10-26-18), lisariver (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 08:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you, that's the first time I've heard of the VTA. Do you know anything more about "affective consciousness"? Is that manifested in facial expressions?

"We have two types of consciousness.

-affective consciousness (feelings without thought)(more observable in early life)
-cognitive consciousness. (thoughts about feelings)(more observable as we nature)"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
daveddd (10-26-18), mildadhd (10-25-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-18, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you, that's the first time I've heard of the VTA. Do you know anything more about "affective consciousness"? Is that manifested in facial expressions?

"We have two types of consciousness.

-cognitive consciousness. (thoughts about feelings)(more observable as we nature)"
Facial expressions are influenced by both affective functions and cognitive functions.

Although a babies instinctual facial expressions are more influenced by affective functions.

Although certainly linked to emotional networks, facial expressions are not the best way to determine origins of emotional networks, because our facial expressions are influenced by both affective consciousness and cognitive consciousness.

That being said, Darwin has a great book called "the expression of emotions in man and animals" , which is well worth while exploring on the topic , if your interested? (I really enjoy the audiobook version)

I will post more about affective and cognitive consciousness, and in regards to Dr Barkley's theory later.

M
lisariver (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 11:02 AM

Thanked 26,090 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

3. cerebellum
4. basal ganglia
5. corpus callosum

The emotional network goes from the frontal lobe, to the anterior cingulate to the amygdala, limbic system
I don't actually remember which parts of the brain are smaller in us.

We do have a developmental delay of about 30%, so it depends on your age
how many years that may look like.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (10-26-18), lisariver (10-25-18)
Old 10-26-18, 10:24 PM

Thanked 11,312 Times in 5,522 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I don't actually remember which parts of the brain are smaller in us.

We do have a developmental delay of about 30%, so it depends on your age
how many years that may look like.
this always confused me, maybe you can help me get it

so if our disability is a 30 % delay....

I'd see a 15 YO acting ten emotionally as an 1ssue, 20yo like a 14 yo...same thing

but im 38, so does that mean my disability makes me like a 27 yo

whats wrong with 27 year olds?
Old 10-27-18, 11:08 AM

Thanked 26,090 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
this always confused me, maybe you can help me get it

so if our disability is a 30 % delay....

I'd see a 15 YO acting ten emotionally as an 1ssue, 20yo like a 14 yo...same thing

but im 38, so does that mean my disability makes me like a 27 yo

whats wrong with 27 year olds?
Barkley was talking about kids when he discussed the 30% rule.

I think the gap becomes less noticeable as we get older, but there's still a gap.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-30-18)
Old 10-29-18, 07:43 PM

It is true, that maturation of top down regulations are slightly delayed.

M
lisariver (10-30-18)
Old 10-30-18, 08:15 PM

I do not think dopaminergic pathways are the only pathways involved, but I do know that the dopaminergic pathways branch from the VTA to the orbito frontal cortex and our VTA matures before our OFC.

Quote:
Most DA-producing neurons in the brain are located in brainstem nuclei: the retro-rubro field (A8), substantia nigra pars compacta (A9), and the ventral tegmental area (VTA) (A10). Projection pathways of the axons arising from these cell bodies follow 1 of 3 specific paths (with some overlap) via the medial forebrain bundle to inner- vate specific cortical and subcortical structures, unlike the more diffuse innervation patterns of serotonergic and noradrenergic cells (Figure 1).
http://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu...thophysiol.pdf

-------------------------------------------------

medial forebrain bundle

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 10-30-18 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-31-18)
Old 10-25-18, 08:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

Often I prefer audio but I'm not subscribed anywhere...I will look for the book when I go to the library next week. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-31-18)
Old 10-26-18, 10:20 PM

Thanked 11,312 Times in 5,522 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

are you asking if those are things barkley said?

if someone disagrees that those areas of the brain are smaller?

did you take this directly from say one part of a book? if so maybe link it to see context

or did you accumulate it through all hid work?

or did you infer this from something and seeing if we agrre
Old 10-27-18, 10:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

I don't know if this is the talk I took it from, I think he says it or something like it in different talks. I just wanted to verify and learn more if I could. The whole thing is interesting but I think the part I was referring to is around 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
are you asking if those are things barkley said?

if someone disagrees that those areas of the brain are smaller?

did you take this directly from say one part of a book? if so maybe link it to see context

or did you accumulate it through all hid work?

or did you infer this from something and seeing if we agrre
The Following User Says Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-31-18)