ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 11-02-18, 09:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,080 Times in 12,169 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notes from Barkley, true or false?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
(Missed edit deadline)

Edit...

So a question I have for Dr. Barkley is how does our bottom up affective temperament and early affective experiences infleunce the development/maturation (or not) of the orbito frontal cortex?

M
Are you going to write to Dr. Barkley and ask him that?
If so, will you let us know if he responds?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
lisariver (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18, 04:41 PM

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisariver View Post
My working memory sucks, so if you're going to get very technical, it's probably going to be hard to follow you without a host of memory aids, like diagrams, notes, and repetition, at least some kind of outline, so I know the end goal? examples help me a lot, too, at least for part of it, I'm open for learning things outside of it but as I said, i have limited brain space for holding things.

I'm in the middle of watching the video about the importance of emotion, trying to remember where I was going with this, lol. I think I'm trying to understand emotional dysregulation, now that I finally am getting an idea of what a big role it played in my life, or currently plays.
Thanks

I will work on things, and get back to you.

I have watched the importance of emotion video twice, and I still have the same problems with Dr. Barkley approach.

He simply does not include early bottom up development of top down working memory, (via VTA---medial forebrain bundle---orbito frontal cortex, etc), in his discussions.

In my opinion, it is like only the second half the story has been told (the part after top down working memory becomes delayed, but not how top down working memory became delayed in the first place)

I understand there is lots of information to absorb, that is why I wrote no rush.

I will present small bits of information over time.

I really appreciate the discussion.

M
lisariver (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18, 06:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

I understand there is lots of information to absorb, that is why I wrote no rush.
okay, gotcha

I will present small bits of information over time.
thanks, I will try to work with whatever you present. Most importantly, I request that you space it out so it's not a dense wall of words

I really appreciate the discussion.
thanks, me too, just don't laugh or be mad or too judgemental if I can't keep up please

M[/quote]
The Following User Says Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (11-03-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-18, 10:41 PM

Let's have fun!

In the video, Dr. Barkley mentions 3 types of emotions?

-Primary level processing emotional affect (lower limbic) (bottom up affective executive regulation)
-Secondary level processing emotion (upper limbic) (learning and memories) (bottom up implicit and top down explicit)
-(tertiary level processing) "ADHD emotions" (prefrontal cortex) (top down cognitive executive regulation)

?

M?

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-06-18 at 11:06 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
lisariver (11-13-18)
Old 11-16-18, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
In enunciating his triune brain proposal from an evolutionary perspective, MacLean wrote (1967, p. 375): “There are those who argue that one has no right to apply behavioral observations on animals to human affairs, but they may be reminded that man has inherited the basic structure and organization of 3 brains, 2 of which are quite similar to those of animals. They evolved somewhat like a house to which wings and superstructure are added. Despite their great disparity in structure and chemistry, all 3 must function together. Man’s brain of oldest heritage is basically reptilian. It forms the matrix of the brain stem and comprises much of the so-called reticular system, midbrain, and basal ganglia. Superim* posed on the reptilian is a structure inherited from lower mammals.
It consists of the 2 oldest forms of cerebral cortex together with related nuclei of the brain stem. As it is common to the brains of all mammals, 1 might refer to it as the paleomammalian brain [limbic brain]. Superimposed on the old mammalian brain and appearing late in evolution is a more elaborate form of cortex called neocortex which, together with its associated nuclei of the brain stem, reaches the most advanced stage of development in man and overshadows the rest of the brain. It can be characterized as neomammalian in structure and organization.” Accompanying this text is the now- famous figure (Fig. 2), showing in schematic side view the 3 basic types of brains that MacLean proposed as man’s inheritance.
http://udn.nichd.nih.gov/pdf/Paul_D_...tributions.pdf
Hi lisariver

Are you familiar with these 3 brain processing levels of Paul D Maclean's triune brain model?

Primary processing level of the brain = reptilian (lower limbic)

Secondary processing level of the brain = paleomammalian (upper limbic)

Tertiary processing level of the brain = neomammalian (prefrontal cortex)

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-16-18 at 05:09 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
lisariver (12-05-18)
Old 11-18-18, 05:57 AM

In this slide, Dr. Barkley does include some dopaminergic physiology of some of the bottom up affective executive regulation networks (represented by three dotted lines originating in the brain stem area------>branch up to the prefrontal cortex)

http://slideplayer.com/slide/3947648...n+Networks.jpg

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-18-18 at 06:20 AM..
Old 12-03-18, 08:43 PM

Quote:
In this slide, Dr. Barkley does include some dopaminergic physiology of some of the bottom up affective executive regulation networks (represented by three dotted lines originating in the brain stem area------>branch up to the prefrontal cortex)

http://slideplayer.com/slide/3947648...n+Networks.jpg

M
Labeled "emotion regulation" in Dr. Barkley's slide.

It is not true that "emotion regulation" is only top down process.

M
Old 12-03-18, 09:28 PM

I do not always agree with Dr. Barkley but he has created an enormous amount of work to help me consider possibilities.

I would like to add this video, for discussion.

M
Old 12-04-18, 07:19 PM

General drive is not primarily a top down executive function.

General drive is primarily a bottom up executive function.

M
Old 12-05-18, 06:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

Hi mildadhd,
I'm sorry I haven't been able to hold up my end of this communication, I've fallen into a depression, and struggling a great deal. (I'm just seeing it now)
I am familiar with the model you posted. I will try to listen to the videos but unfortunately, my attn span is minimal now. Thanks for sharing, lisa

Quote:
Hi lisariver

Are you familiar with these 3 brain processing levels of Paul D Maclean's triune brain model?

Primary processing level of the brain = reptilian (lower limbic)

Secondary processing level of the brain = paleomammalian (upper limbic)

Tertiary processing level of the brain = neomammalian (prefrontal cortex)

M