ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-16, 07:24 PM

Stev'o will become famous soon enough
ADHD and hobbies

So, when I was in grade school, I don't recall that kids were being diagnosed as having this. I remember continually drumming on my desk. Loudly. And I had no idea why the teacher would stop, in the middle of her lesson, glare at me, as I continued my jamming to the endless stream of music. This led to my first hobby of drumming. I say hobby because I just never took it to the next level. Even though now, I am pretty good.
My other hobby, wood working. Lots of power tools. Yes, one evening, I damn near took two fingers off using my table saw. At that time, I attributed it to being tired. Now, as I learn more about this ADHD thing (I'm 54). I now realize that I was focused on doing something, which involved putting my hand very close to a moving blade. So focused, I was quite surety by the outcome.
Back to drumming. Playing means counting. It can get pretty involved. Think about this: 1-2-3-4:1-2-3-4...I am just now, learning about dyscalculia. It may sound easy enough, but my attention deficit, focus, well, I think you know.
But I hyper focus on both of these (but not only these). But probably would be much more of a Madrid my crafts, if not for the ADHD.
Old 07-27-16, 02:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,590 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD and hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev'o View Post
So, when I was in grade school, I don't recall that kids were being diagnosed as having this. I remember continually drumming on my desk. Loudly. And I had no idea why the teacher would stop, in the middle of her lesson, glare at me, as I continued my jamming to the endless stream of music. This led to my first hobby of drumming. I say hobby because I just never took it to the next level. Even though now, I am pretty good.
My other hobby, wood working. Lots of power tools. Yes, one evening, I damn near took two fingers off using my table saw. At that time, I attributed it to being tired. Now, as I learn more about this ADHD thing (I'm 54). I now realize that I was focused on doing something, which involved putting my hand very close to a moving blade. So focused, I was quite surety by the outcome.
Back to drumming. Playing means counting. It can get pretty involved. Think about this: 1-2-3-4:1-2-3-4...I am just now, learning about dyscalculia. It may sound easy enough, but my attention deficit, focus, well, I think you know.
But I hyper focus on both of these (but not only these). But probably would be much more of a Madrid my crafts, if not for the ADHD.
It sounds like you found a way to sort of 'channel' your creativeness into hobbies that are fulfilling.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-27-16, 02:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,354 Times in 13,987 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that adhd stops.me from doing the things I love is one of the most annoying things about it. I play the piano but it's so frustrating because I even though I absolutely love it I keep losing focus and then I make mistakes or forget where I am in the piece I'm playing and that's just not fun.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-16, 01:29 PM

With woodworking, I'm not creative. Sometimes I'm in my shop for hours, trying to think of what to make. Sometimes I spend hours on the Internet looking for inspiration. Or, when I start something, I rush into it, before taking the time to plan it out, and start making mistakes. Or, in hyper focus mode, spend hours planning every little detail, and then I'm off in another direction. Usually back to my drumming. With drumming, I need to go over a song a million times to put to memory. And usuall get bored first.
Whatever hobby I'm doing, my mind races to all the other things I should be doing.
Old 07-28-16, 02:01 AM

larrytate is on a distinguished road

i play lead guitar , drums and bass, used to play in rock bands, got on meth went to prison got saved now I play at church. still rockin
The Following User Says Thank You to larrytate For This Useful Post:
ugly_truck (08-04-16)
Old 07-28-16, 05:48 AM

Thanked 34,109 Times in 15,440 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i have trouble keeping hobbies. i tend to flit from one to another and, to date, only one 'hobby of sorts" has stuck: running. i love gardening and other sport and art...but i just am not one to "practice" for ****e.
Old 07-29-16, 10:38 AM
Jr Member

ADDBill is on a distinguished road

If I am in too a hobby I am in to it...need, must know everything about, completely obsessed but when the passion for it ebbs I completely ignore it. This zoning out actually cost me a finger in the last hobby lol. That incident is really what drove me over the edge, that I had had enough and motivated me to try to figure out what was going on with me instead of just coping with it as I have done the last 50 years.
Old 07-29-16, 05:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda2 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda2 has a spectacular aura about

this is where I will passionately disagree with almost everyone, if ADHD has any kind of gift quality, it's getting in the zone.

people literally train their entire life to just try to get "in the zone". musicians and artists and actors and athletes usually feel it more, but it goes across the entire spectrum of fields (flipping french fries zone.... not so much I don't)

it's getting out of the zone that we have to train our entire life's to do . also figuring out how to stick with a task, finding meaning, purpose that is bigger than our own, get rid of comorbids that exasterbate the situation, use alarms/people to help get you out etc... most comes externally (getting out) I think.

but when we get our chainsaw brain on something and ONLY that one thing, I can work around people. sometimes though, they have to stop me before I overheat
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda2 For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (07-30-16)
Old 07-31-16, 02:33 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,590 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogheda2 View Post
this is where I will passionately disagree with almost everyone, if ADHD has any kind of gift quality, it's getting in the zone.

people literally train their entire life to just try to get "in the zone". musicians and artists and actors and athletes usually feel it more, but it goes across the entire spectrum of fields (flipping french fries zone.... not so much I don't)

it's getting out of the zone that we have to train our entire life's to do . also figuring out how to stick with a task, finding meaning, purpose that is bigger than our own, get rid of comorbids that exasterbate the situation, use alarms/people to help get you out etc... most comes externally (getting out) I think.

but when we get our chainsaw brain on something and ONLY that one thing, I can work around people. sometimes though, they have to stop me before I overheat
If you view 'getting in the zone' like hyperfocus, then I dont see it as a benefit because it happens at the expense of everything else- even important things.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-31-16, 01:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda2 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
If you view 'getting in the zone' like hyperfocus, then I dont see it as a benefit because it happens at the expense of everything else- even important things.
oh I know.

I think a little analysis of it helps.

however the zone and hyperfocus are synonymous as far as functionality goes. it's described as, by musicians, scientists, artists etc as a state of being away from oneself. musicians(and the list goes on) will go for 10 hours (without ADHD), saying how they forget how hungry they are, even forget that they have fingers and flow into their work.

I think getting into purpose, mission and limitation control really helps. such as, in ten minutes (or after this thread I'm going to wright up) I'm going to put on the internet blocker for 6 hours, set my alarm for 30 minutes to clean (because I work better in clean environments (cause my eyes don't wander and my head won't be thinking about the mess) and make the phonecall I need to make

then I can get into my math-work without interuption. but, for myself, I can only do this if I'm comfortable with the fact that the internet can be a big distraction, for me, that turns that hyperfocus quality into a functional state.
Old 07-31-16, 08:46 PM

scigrrl100 is on a distinguished road

My hobby is pole dancing. Not stripper dancing, but athletic, competitive artistic, pole dancing. My favorite place is in the zone. In the zone I am fully absorbed, instead of being trapped in that part of my head that I have a tendency to be trapped in, I find that I am simply being. I express emotion freely, become one with the music and pole, and become pretty unaware of my surroundings and time. It is a wonderful place to be. It is almost like a meditative state.

BUT, I can also be very temperamental about it (without meaning to be). Getting started training can be tough, there is a mental leap I have to take to get rolling. If anything is stressing me out in the rest of my life (which is waaaay too often), it becomes almost impossible for me to focus. If I don't have the right music to train to (which completely depends on my mood) I might as well forget it. Interruptions...let's not go there! I need my surroundings to be tidy, so cleaning happens first.

I took part in my first competition last spring. Planning, training, and preparing for my performance took the better part of 3 months and it seemed to be at the expense of everything else. The way I go about things you would think my life depended on it being perfect. After that experience I recognized that if I am ever going to compete again, I have to do it in a more balanced way. ...I did win, but the process took it's toll.
Old 07-31-16, 09:55 PM

So to circle back to my original post, and sort of respond to some of the responses.
As a musician, which is one of my hobbies, addressing "being in the zone", and hyper focus. They are two different things, for me. Many times we (the group of musicians) have been in the zone. This comes from everyone knowing their parts, and an exceptional session that just seems to flow well. The hyper focus part is where I am tuning my drums, cleaning, shining my drums, hardware. Or listening to a song, and transcribing notes. This is very tedious to me, and I have to be in hyper focus mode. Practicing is also tedious, and I have to break it into small segments, easier for me to focus. If I was to have thought, when I was younger, to achieve the skills to go professional, I don't know that I could have blocked out all the distractions to go 100%.
My other hobby, woodworking, I have made some very nice things. Jewelry boxes, cabinets. I have spent hours drawing detailed scale drawings. I would love to do an entire kitchen cabinet build. To do this, I would need to be left alone for days, with no external distractions. With my "day job" and my 6 grand kids, I have plenty of external distractions.
Then there is the always present internal conflict of, I need to practice my music, I want to get out to the shop, I need to cut the grass (5 acres), I need to do home repairs, and all the internal mental detractors.
All in all, I am happy with my hobbies. I wish I could filter the distractions, and manage my time better. But it is what it is. I heard that saying in Latin one time, and thought it was cool. And yeah, I don't remember what how it went.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stev'o For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-31-16)
Old 08-01-16, 12:16 PM

scigrrl100 is on a distinguished road

Stev'o, I can relate to managing the distractions. It is hard, and if there are too many distractions then the quality of my time spent on my hobby is not very good. I feel like I need the perfect window of time, which can make actually doing anything really hard because how often is there a perfect window of time? On the bright side, it is good incentive for me to really work on my time management (which clearly, I have a big problem with). If I have the bills, the laundry, the lawn, grocery shopping, meals, kid stuff, hell, just having a shower, etc all hanging over my head, then I have trouble having a clear head for my dancing and to be creative. Its like all of the stuff of life corrupts my mind. This is why I don't have many friends...I'm too busy keeping my head above water!

The only practical solution as far as I'm concerned is to schedule the time, like a dr appointment. Even an hour to start and get a routine for it built into life.