ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-14-13, 07:13 PM

Unlaced is on a distinguished road
Using career as stimulation?

So here's where I'm at. To my understanding, AD(H)Ders find ways (healthy or otherwise) to stimulate their minds....examples being addictions, risky, or excessive behaviors, etc. Well, it seems that I seek stimulation through researching and daydreaming about different jobs/careers, lol.

I'm 31, have had a dozen varied jobs but now have little ones and function as a SAHM. Was able to get a college degree after....gosh....10 years off and on? Have an Associate's in Business, 4.0 GPA, worked my BUTT off! Anyway, officially changed my major about 4 times, but unofficially I think I've changed my career choice at least 100 times.

It goes like this: Something, somewhere, will make me think of a new career.....let's say I'm watching tv and I see a nurse. Well...that's interesting....maybe I could do that! Let's go research it! YES! That would be GREAT! Let's look at schools/programs! I'm so perfect for this job! LOL......then shift to (anywhere from a few hours to a few months) oh gosh....well, that part of the job wouldn't be fun....and this other part doesn't sound like fun....wow, it'd take a lot of work to do that and I'm not sure I care enough about it to do that.....this just isn't interesting anymore.....

Even I'M tired of the circles....about to resign with the career search and submit to being a grade A housewife/mom. I know I'm lucky for that to be a viable option and pray that it continues to be after my husband leaves the service in a few years. But....I do feel destined to do SOMETHING. I just wish I was one of the lucky few who just KNEW what they want to do with their life and go do it. :/ Advice on how to stop this???
The Following User Says Thank You to Unlaced For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (09-17-13)
Old 09-16-13, 05:32 PM

Unlaced is on a distinguished road
Re: Using career as stimulation?

Also, I've taken a gazillion (yes, technical term...) career/personality tests. I'm fairly certain I'm sticking with something science-ish....but that's as far as I can really go. I'm so incredibly frustrated. The ability to go into nearly any profession is present; Really, the only obstacle is this damned indecisiveness. It's almost like....I could go into a great many of the science fields/professions, but I simply choose to focus on one long enough to get the neurotransmitters going and then drop it later when it'd not doing anything for me. I suppose it's also prudent to suggest a possible fear of failure is complicating the matter....though I'm unsure of how strongly of a factor it is contributing. I'm just......tired. Anyone else doing this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Unlaced For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (09-17-13)
Old 09-17-13, 05:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Using career as stimulation?

I got you ALL covered!

OK, I have like Three huge posts for you that are all on one thread. They will help you choose a career. If you are doing so well, then you wouldn't need medication in my own personal insignificant opinion And just fyi, meditation is the number 2 treatment after medicine for ADHD. Ain't that cool? Ok, so here is exactly how you want to find the job. Take it from an state admnistration HR girl who just did a statewide classification with a world renound consulting agency.
9internship

I'm sorry about the messiness of this thread. Just fyi, adhd people get I think 15 percent less work done and have more sick days. The only thing is you obvioiusly work very, very, hard. Let me know if that helps!

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150747
Sponsored Links