ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-12-19, 12:18 AM

Sparkout is on a distinguished road
Why does Adderall seem best ADHD med and why likely doc won't prescribe?

Let me get this straight.. Adderall is 75% dex and 25% levoamphetamine. I'm on 40mg Vyvanse. I'm wondering if my doctor should just switch me to Ritalin because Concerta (The med I was on before - at 72mg) isn't covered. Ritalin is 50% d-methylphenidate and 50% l-methylphenidate. It seems to work better than Vyvanse. So no point of switching to dexedrine. Or increase the dosage of Vyvanse? Or ask to switch to Adderall?

Is there something about the levoamphetamine that you people seem to like? I liked the l-methylphenidate because it was like Vyvanse and coffee. But it seems like my doctor or psychiatrist has a bias to Adderall because of the stigma.

Any thoughts??
Old 01-12-19, 05:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,756 Times in 15,182 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why does Adderall seem best ADHD med and why likely doc won't prescribe?

I have my own bias with vyvanse- I do not like it but I wont junk up your thread with why. IME adderall's levo provide more get up and go. The only other one I have liked is dexedrine which is straight amphetamine. It really depends on whether amphetamine works better for you or methylphenidate which is what is in ritalin. Vyvanses' mechanism of action is very different than adderall.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-12-19, 10:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I've developed tolerance to ritalin and asked to my doctor about switching to amphetamine preparation. He said don't try amph at all because it's very high potential of addiction. I've gone to another psychiatrist and he also avoided amphs and prescribed ritalin again.

There are very strict rules about stims in Turkey. It's very very difficult to obtain ritalin even if it's prescribed by psychiatrist especially if you're adult. Pharmacist don't want to sell stims even if they have. Still many of pharmacists and even doctors don't belive in adult adhd.
I don't know if vyvanse or adderal could be prescribed or not legally in Turkey. Even if it's legal i'm sure it would be extremly difficult to obtain them even with doctor's presciption.
I don't think amphetamines are more dangerous than ADHD itself.
In brief, imo doctors don't want to assume responsibility. They don't want to deal with laws.
Started with ritalin 10 mg (worked only for two weeks)
Then:strattera 80 mg+54 mg concerta +20 mg ritalin (didn't work because of tolerance)
Then:Strattera 80 mg+modiwake(modafinil) 200 mg+brintellix (vortioxetine) 10 mg
Now:wellbutrin 300 mg
For about two years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
The Following User Says Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
SashaBV (01-12-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-19, 09:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

The rules and such are getting pretty strict here also. I just hate it when the gov tries to be all up in your face about meds. I really wish all the ADHD meds weren't so controlled. I understand that they need to know you really do have ADHD, and not just seeking stimulants for kicks, but when there's pressure...on the patient and the doctor both...to avoid certain meds, that's crazy. What do the bureaucratic types know, anyway? I want to see their medical licenses, you know?
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
scubaboy6834 (01-16-19)
Old 01-17-19, 09:52 PM

I asked my doctor for dexedrine to take when I'm studying. He said "There's no point in taking both".

If I ask my psychiatrist for Adderall, she'll say no because I have schizophrenia. But I'm sure that it won't make me psychotic. I'm already medicated heavily for psychosis and psychiatrists in the psych ward have always been on board with me taking stimulants with my antipsychotics.

I should ask my psychiatrist for dexedrine to take in the evening with the 40mg Vyvnase. She will probably be concerned with addiction which is BS. Sure, I'm dependent on them but that makes addiction less likely. I'm just really struggling to focus when I'm studying at the end of the day so I made a pot of coffee lol..

It just really sucks.
Old 01-19-19, 06:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,756 Times in 15,182 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Your doctor really needs to read up on the benefits of taking stimulants and actual facts.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-19-19, 10:52 PM

Omg I'm studying and I find it so hard to focus!

I'm stressed out now. It's like the Vyvanse 40mg isn't working. I don't know what to do. I could study for 2 hours but I'm burned out now.

Maybe that's all I can do..

I need a break from exhaustion of getting up every day and doing things. I wouldn't be able to get out of bed without Vyvanse though and I'd be a zombie.. probably because of the withdrawal idk..

I see my doctor on Monday and I'll just talk to him about my stress of not being able to focus.

The worst part is that I told him that it's helping. But as soon as I got piled up with a lot of work and stress, I can't focus anymore..
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Doctor prescribed Concerta 36mg but I have to pay for it. 30 pills was 117 dollars. Oh well. Hopefully it works better..