ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-04, 04:03 PM

oceanswave is on a distinguished road
Moving forward! - Adult with ADD happy about positive doctor experience

Hey everyone
I had my first psychiatrist appointment today (for an ADHD evaluation/Diagnosis) and it was great! My doctor really knew her stuff! She didn't want to jump the gun and make the diagnosis official yet- but she said basically on everything I told her throughout our appointment, that she really thinks I have it. I also gave her tons of report cards from school, dateing back to kindergarten. She looked through it a little bit, and read some comments that teachers wrote outloud- reading the ones that fit the adhd profile...she said she will go through the rest of the progress reports (in my case, non-progress reports!) before our next appointment. She was awesome, and armed with lots of information- even stuff I didn't even know. I had told her that for some reason, my freshman year of high school I managed to get all A's & B's while I was balanced sports as well- then I started working & quit sports, and my grades declined as well. She said that was interesting because those with adhd seem to manage their symptoms better when playing a sport/exerciseing. She also asked me about caffeine consumption as well, and I told her I drink a 2 liter of cola on a daily basis. She said that for some reason, many who are adhd consume large amounts of caffeine. So she wrote me a prescription for the lowest dose of Concerta, to try for 2 weeks and see if it helps. I then have another appointment with her to go over more evaluationg, and see if the Concerta helped at all. She also strongly recommends I get a psyc. test, to rule out any learning disabilites that I could possibley have in conjunction with adhd. She said many people with adhd have other learning disabilities, and they often go undiagnosed. I'll try to get the test done, but she said it is often not covered by insurance & is rather expensive- so it's really up to my dad, and if he will pay for it. Overall I am very happy with my experience, and was very pleased with her experience & comments.