ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Fibromyalgia
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-16, 10:00 PM

Oddoutlier is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Is this Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Last night I went to bed at 9:00PM and was in complete shock when I woke up at 3:46PM! Well the muscles in my neck, shoulders and legs are sore, I feel a world better. It is not the first time this has happened to me, but when 19 hours seems like 8 hours I felt the need to do some research. I wasn't diagnosed for ADHD until I was 26, and the journey to get there wasn't easy. It has been almost 5 years since I started treatment and began my journey to understanding my brain. As a child I was neglected, and in order to survive I adapted. I have always been very independent and resourceful. Growing up in a very unstable environment, it is hard to separate nature from lack of nurture.

As an adult my environment provides me the luxury of understanding the complexity of self. I had always blamed myself for not trying hard enough, when it was how hard I did try that led me to where I am today.

I often think of the person I would have been today, had I received treatment as a child. My afterthought isn't of anger, nor sadness, but curiosity.

Since treatment I have truly discovered the joys of learning. When it comes to basic human survival, the joys of learning is a foreign concept.

Before I find myself knee deep in the philosophical and theoretical concepts of human behavior and society, I will redirect to why I am reply to your post.

There is very little research on Adult ADHD, which leads me to believe there is a lot that remains unknown.

I am curious if my other medical and behavior issues are correlated with ADHD. I have not be diagnosed with CSF, and I don't think I have it, but I do have some of the symptoms.

Can you relate to any of the following?
- I can't relax! When I need to unwind, I generally resort to a glass of wine.
- My dreams are like movies. I can easily wake up and go right back to bed and pick up where I left off.
- In order to function, I have to have at least 8 hours of sleep and it has to be regular. I know many people who function very well on 5-6 hours of sleep, and it makes me pea green with envy. I have tried and it only makes me less productive. Less sleep literally makes it harder to speak; I can't articulate my thoughts and notice a long pause between words. The words are on the tip of my tongue and I can't make the link.
-My eye hurt. I have been to the optometrist and I am pretty sure they think I am crazy. It is like the muscles in my eyes have been doing aerobics. In order to alleviate the pain, I will do what I call eye stretches and massage the outer range of each eye ball.
- My neck, shoulder, back, hip, forearms, and hands are consistently sore. At times the muscle with lock up or spasm.
- I will eventually take a weekend and pretty much sleep.
- I do not have problems falling asleep, but getting sleep where I actually sleep is few and far in between.
- I do not feel sleepy during the day and hardly ever. I do feel weak, sore and disoriented.

I look forward to your reply.
Old 02-10-17, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Meteodan is a jewel in the roughMeteodan is a jewel in the roughMeteodan is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is this Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Have you had a sleep study done? Some of your symptoms could be consistent with sleep apnea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meteodan For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-24-17)
Old 03-24-17, 03:20 PM

Nelson67 is on a distinguished road

That's more likely she or he could have Hoshimotos or Graves' disease which requires a high good fat diet and thyroid medication too
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-17, 08:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,075 Times in 10,648 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddoutlier View Post

- I can't relax! When I need to unwind, I generally resort to a glass of wine.
Very ADHD, feeling un-able to relax. Possible side order of anxiety.

Quote:
- My dreams are like movies. I can easily wake up and go right back to bed and pick up where I left off.
I don't know. I don't do that.

Quote:
- In order to function, I have to have at least 8 hours of sleep and it has to be regular. I know many people who function very well on 5-6 hours of sleep, and it makes me pea green with envy. I have tried and it only makes me less productive. Less sleep literally makes it harder to speak; I can't articulate my thoughts and notice a long pause between words. The words are on the tip of my tongue and I can't make the link.
Most people need more than 5-6 hours of sleep, especially if they want to be
able to think clearly. I sometimes wish I didn't, but I generally need 8-9.

Quote:
-My eye hurt. I have been to the optometrist and I am pretty sure they think I am crazy. It is like the muscles in my eyes have been doing aerobics. In order to alleviate the pain, I will do what I call eye stretches and massage the outer range of each eye ball.
Do you spend a lot of time at the computer? If so, set a timer for 30 minutes
or so and take a break. Look away from the screen, do something else for a
few minutes. It can make a big difference if this is eye strain.

Quote:
- My neck, shoulder, back, hip, forearms, and hands are consistently sore. At times the muscle with lock up or spasm.
Another possible symptom of anxiety. Or too much time hunched over a
keyboard.

Quote:
- I will eventually take a weekend and pretty much sleep.
This could be a reaction to non-stop anxiety simply wearing you out, or maybe
a symptom of depression. Anxiety and Depression happen alongside ADHD in
about half of adults diagnosed with ADHD.

That's all I've got. Something to think about though.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-24-17)
Old 03-25-17, 02:56 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,083 Times in 12,628 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

The sleep study is ESSENTIAL. There are so many issues and disorders out there other than the basic ones like sleep apnea. Everything you do and whatever you take is impacted by sleep. Youd be surprised at what a study can uncover. My husband is narcoleptic but doesnt have the typical symptoms of falling asleep like people in the movies make it out to be, he has a lot of cataplexy and only the study helped him narrow it down.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 03-26-17, 05:41 PM

Erparus is on a distinguished road

Hey there. I stumbled on to your post and registered just to respond.
Firsly, I definitely agree that you need to get a sleep study. That will rule out sleep apnea.
The amount of sleep you need is consistent with hypersomnia. You actually have an incredible amount of similarities to me....I went years through hell, relationships falling apart because of my sleep issues. I tried getting a sleep study so many times but was always denied by my insurance. It took my being ARRESTED qnd charged with CHILD ABUSE...long story, but I sleep HARD so I didn't hear my 4 year old sneak off with my iPhone at 8am, where she couldn't unlock the code or read that she was pressing the 'emergency' button over and over. I woke up to a police officer in my bedroom doorway, and it took months to unravel it all. But it finally got my sleep study approved, which showed I was NOT neglectful or a drug user, instead, I am narcoleptic and have hypersomnia.

I was told I had chronic fatigue since I was 19 years old. I was 28 when I finally found out what was wrong with me. Don't wait, get a sleep study. You won't get a diagnosis from us, only a study can finally give you the answers you need to be able to start adapting to whatever it is. Good luck!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Erparus For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-27-17)
Old 04-02-17, 09:12 PM

caylyn has a spectacular aura aboutcaylyn has a spectacular aura about

One hallmark symptom of CFS/ME is PEM - post-exertional malaise. PEM occurs when you overdo it and your body crashes for a few days. You can overdo it through activity, stress, emotions, exposure to chemicals (perfumes, cleaning products).

My daughter, who is 21, has been ill with CFS/ME for the last 5 1/2 years. She literally missed the last 1 1/2 years of her high school. When she first became ill she could not get out of bed for 5 weeks.

Yesterday she was having a fairly good day and decided to move some things around in her room. At 5 pm she crashed from PEM. She had spent too much of her energy. (CFS/ME people use spooning to explain how they must allocate their energy.) She has pretty much been sleeping since her crash.

During a PEM episode, her cognitive abilities become impaired. She has a difficult time regulating her body temp. And it pretty much hurts for her to move.

Also, she is ADHD. When she is in PEM, the adderall is like a sugar pill for her.

Someone already mentioned that perhaps your sleeping episode is related to stress or apnea. You should definitely get that checked.

And, unfortunately, 5 to 6 hours is not enough sleep for most people.

I hope you find someone who can help you or advise you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caylyn For This Useful Post:
dormammau2008 (04-07-17), ItsaRose (05-27-17)
Old 04-07-17, 05:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Is this Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

I get pma,,,,if I push to far you might want to it your gut cheack out and perhaps look functional medicine whitch would help you I have a few links if your intrested