ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 10-07-18, 09:16 AM
Jr Member

Hodgo77 is on a distinguished road
Strattera with Insomnia

Hi all,

I've tried Dex, Vyvanse, Concerta and Ritalin but because they all increased my anxiety my doc now has me on Strattera. I've been taking 30mg Strattera in the morning for 2 weeks (very low dose since I'm very sensitive to any drugs).

I can't seem to sleep well and I'm very tired during the day, most nights I wake up around 3:00am and struggle to get back to sleep. This may be dulling the effect of the drug as I'm not feeling any benefit.

How long does this last? Anybody with personal experience of this drug and it's side effects?

Iíve also just been given a weeks worth of ambien from a doc, not sure about this as it did help me sleep last night but was groggy during the day.

thanks
Dave
Old 10-07-18, 03:45 PM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road
Re: Strattera with Insomnia

So you're tired during the day and awake early at night.

Why don't you try taking Straterra at night. I do, I take all my meds once a day at night.

I don't notice any side effects personally
Old 10-08-18, 12:26 PM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I'm using 80 mg at nights. It had made me too drowsy, sleepy like mirtazepine (remeron) at first days. Now i'm not so sleepy, drowsy but even though I can sleep whenever I want. I can't understand why does it make me sleepy if it increases noradrenaline. But it works good for me for focus.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-18, 12:41 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphawave View Post
So you're tired during the day and awake early at night.

Why don't you try taking Straterra at night. I do, I take all my meds once a day at night.

I don't notice any side effects personally
I'm tired all day, from the minute I wake up to the minute I go to sleep at about 9:00pm (sometimes I've falling asleep at 9:00pm on the couch). Then from about 3:00am I wake up and can no longer sleep. I wasn't before I tried the Strattera.

I'll ask the doctor what he thinks about taking the meds at night.

I don't know why but I'm very sensitive to all medications.

Is it Strattera you take and if so what dosage?

thanks
Dave
Old 10-09-18, 12:49 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
I'm using 80 mg at nights. It had made me too drowsy, sleepy like mirtazepine (remeron) at first days. Now i'm not so sleepy, drowsy but even though I can sleep whenever I want. I can't understand why does it make me sleepy if it increases noradrenaline. But it works good for me for focus.
How long have you been taking Strattera? And your syaing your still sleepy, just not as much as before? But it does improve your focus?

Does it work for any of your other symptoms?

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-10-18, 09:25 AM
Jr Member

So was advised today by the pdoc that I should take it at night. What do you think? If so do I just go cold turkey for one day and then take it that night, or gradually change from morning to night?
Old 10-12-18, 08:25 PM
Jr Member

Ok so went cold turkey and increased the dose to 50mg taken at 10:00pm. Fell asleep ok but have been awake since 01:00am. Don’t feel bad, a little hyper. Will go back to mornings as of tomorrow. Did take ambien for a few days which did seem to help but I can’t be on that for too long.
Old 10-13-18, 04:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,408 Times in 15,013 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Stratterra kind of works like an antidepressant in its mechanism of action. I think when it was first being studied it was intended to be an antidepressant until they realize it had some affect on adhd. I wonder if it affects you in that way causing you to have issues at night?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-13-18, 09:40 AM
Jr Member

Yeah I certainly feel like it’s acting like an antidepressant if that makes sense. It’s funny as it’s not quite helping with my ADD symptoms but is with my general mood and anxiety.

I’ll see what happens tonight, only took 20mg today.
Old 10-13-18, 11:48 AM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgo77 View Post
I'm tired all day, from the minute I wake up to the minute I go to sleep at about 9:00pm (sometimes I've falling asleep at 9:00pm on the couch). Then from about 3:00am I wake up and can no longer sleep. I wasn't before I tried the Strattera.

I'll ask the doctor what he thinks about taking the meds at night.

I don't know why but I'm very sensitive to all medications.

Is it Strattera you take and if so what dosage?

thanks
Dave
Yes it is Strattera I take at 60 mg per day. once daily. I wanted to be on the recommended 80 mg but that gave me pain over the liver area.

You only took 20 mg but the doc prescribed 50 mg. Imo you shouldn't be changing the dose like this. Take the same dose daily. It's a subtle medication but you'll know when it does fully kick in (if it works for you).

It took me around 6 weeks to fully work. My advice to you is, I think, you should just live your life as normal and don't be so concerned about every day. Just let the med do it's job at the dose your doc recommended and in about 6 weeks you'll notice an up turn in mood and less anxiety. The benefits build, just be patient.
Old 10-18-18, 08:50 AM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How long have you been taking Strattera? And your syaing your still sleepy, just not as much as before? But it does improve your focus?

Does it work for any of your other symptoms?

Thanks
Dave
I've been using it for about 2 mounths. Yes i mean strattera made me a little sleepy but not as much as remeron(mirtazapine). Strattera has improved my focus markedly. But it doesn't give motivation like ritalin. For example ritalin had given me energy, motivation to start to study. Strattera doesn't give me energy, motivation to start smth to do. But after i started to do something i can focus very good. Before strattera it was diffucult for me to read even a paragraph. Now, after strattera i can read 1-2 pages.
Ritalin had increased my productivity and creativity (i have developed tolerance to ritalin in 2 weeks, so it doesn't work now). I'm not sure but i think strattera increased my productivty some, but it didn't increase my creativity at all.
I'm inattentive but i have some impulsivity symptoms also. Strattera made me a little more calm.
Shortly; strattera works for focus, impulsivity and maybe productivity much better than what i hoped. But it is certainly not enough solely. I need stimulants absolutely.
Old 10-19-18, 07:31 PM
Jr Member

Does this all make sense?

Ok so Iíve been on Strattera now for about 6 weeks after titrating up from 10mg to yesterday when I tried 50mg just to see if it makes any difference. Iíve also stopped taking ambien as Iíve been feeling so tired during the day and I donít know if itís the ambien or Strattera.

Well yesterday was awful, I was angry most of the day, tired and couldnít motivate myself to do anything. Last nights sleep was so wired, crazy vivid dreams.

So today Iím going to lower the dose to 20mg and stay on that for the next 4 weeks. Iím not going to titrate up or down.

PS I was never given a recommendation for a starting dose, I just wanted to start low as Iím very sensitive to medication.
Old 10-20-18, 11:22 AM
Jr Member

So today was way better, going to stick to 20mg for at least the next 4-6 weeks and report back. I’m not sure but it could have also been the ambien which made me feel bad.
Old 10-28-18, 07:40 PM
Jr Member

So now its 9 days later on 20mg and I feel so tired and disconnected with the world. No motivation, slightly depressed and quite emotional. Sleep still isn't great, frequent wakenings and sometimes I can't get back to sleep. For example I go to sleep around 9:00pm and wake up at 12:30am, then struggle until around 4-5 before getting back to sleep again.

I'm wondering what to do next, to be honest I don't even care.
Old 10-29-18, 09:01 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,408 Times in 15,013 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Stratterra has to build up to work. Thats why it takes a good six weeks to see if there is any benefit. Abruptly altering the dose wont do anything other than increase the chances of negative side effects. What do you think your doctor will say about such a dose increase. It can not be dosed as an 'as needed' med. You slowly titrate for a reason.

Quote:
Does this all make sense?

Ok so Iíve been on Strattera now for about 6 weeks after titrating up from 10mg to yesterday when I tried 50mg just to see if it makes any difference. Iíve also stopped taking ambien as Iíve been feeling so tired during the day and I donít know if itís the ambien or Strattera.

Well yesterday was awful, I was angry most of the day, tired and couldnít motivate myself to do anything. Last nights sleep was so wired, crazy vivid dreams.

So today Iím going to lower the dose to 20mg and stay on that for the next 4 weeks. Iím not going to titrate up or down.

PS I was never given a recommendation for a starting dose, I just wanted to start low as Iím very sensitive to medication.

I carried a watermelon?