ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-18, 03:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,278 Times in 13,952 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
How to de-stress / relax in the moment?

I get super stressed and frustrated a million times in a day mostly about stupid little things that go wrong, like being late or too much traffic. I can actually feel my blood pressure rising and adrenaline soaking my system. Well, I don't know what exactly it is I'm feeling but my point is that it's a very physical reaction and it's very strong. This can't be good for me.

A lot of these stressors I can't avoid so I need a way to relax in that very moment when I can feel that my blood is starting to boil. Trying to reason with myself or telling myself it's no big deal doesn't work. I've tried breathing exercises but they don't really seem to help for some reason. Is there anything else I could try?

The only constraint is that it has to be something that I am able to do alongside something else (eg while.im driving) so things like "taking a bath" won't work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-23-18), mildadhd (10-24-18), namazu (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 03:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?

I know what you mean about feeling it physically. I find CALM magnesium drink helps, but that isn't too easy for you to do if you're driving, it works best with hot water. It helps me with headaches, that I suspect are blood pressure related.

This other thing I do, I would love if you tried, because so far no one has tried it and gotten back to me. I would do it for anxiety. I discovered it once when I was driving to a party that I was dreading because of social anxiety. I was also really depressed at the time.

What I did was, kept practicing to fake a smile, with all my heart trying to act convincing, (in the car, on my way to the party)...really my goal was to practice a winning smile that could show no trace of any downer emotion and I'd imagine arriving with it. I'd be laughing before I got to my destination because the attempts varied from absurd to ludicrous.
You have to imagine holding the smile as you arrive and go through the party or about your business and you have to really try to be convincing. Of course, dont creep out your family, lol, recommend doing it alone. It lightened my spirit a lot.
It's kind of like with that kind of blatant intention, your body can't hold up the contrast, it has to follow the facial expression, I think anyway.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (10-25-18), Fuzzy12 (10-23-18), Greyhound1 (10-23-18), mildadhd (10-24-18), namazu (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 05:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I get super stressed and frustrated a million times in a day mostly about stupid little things that go wrong, like being late or too much traffic. I can actually feel my blood pressure rising and adrenaline soaking my system. Well, I don't know what exactly it is I'm feeling but my point is that it's a very physical reaction and it's very strong. This can't be good for me.

A lot of these stressors I can't avoid so I need a way to relax in that very moment when I can feel that my blood is starting to boil. Trying to reason with myself or telling myself it's no big deal doesn't work. I've tried breathing exercises but they don't really seem to help for some reason. Is there anything else I could try?

The only constraint is that it has to be something that I am able to do alongside something else (eg while.im driving) so things like "taking a bath" won't work.
I get stressed while driving sometimes, and sometimes it helps to pop in the 10% happier app I use and use one of the on-the-go meditations; there's a good one for driving, one for commuting, and one for on the way to work.

They chill me out pretty good.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.

Last edited by DanielGM1970; 10-23-18 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DanielGM1970 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-23-18), Greyhound1 (10-23-18), mildadhd (10-24-18), namazu (10-23-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-18, 07:05 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,193 Times in 7,311 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisariver View Post
I know what you mean about feeling it physically. I find CALM magnesium drink helps, but that isn't too easy for you to do if you're driving, it works best with hot water. It helps me with headaches, that I suspect are blood pressure related.

This other thing I do, I would love if you tried, because so far no one has tried it and gotten back to me. I would do it for anxiety. I discovered it once when I was driving to a party that I was dreading because of social anxiety. I was also really depressed at the time.

What I did was, kept practicing to fake a smile, with all my heart trying to act convincing, (in the car, on my way to the party)...really my goal was to practice a winning smile that could show no trace of any downer emotion and I'd imagine arriving with it. I'd be laughing before I got to my destination because the attempts varied from absurd to ludicrous.
You have to imagine holding the smile as you arrive and go through the party or about your business and you have to really try to be convincing. Of course, dont creep out your family, lol, recommend doing it alone. It lightened my spirit a lot.
It's kind of like with that kind of blatant intention, your body can't hold up the contrast, it has to follow the facial expression, I think anyway.
That’s a great suggestion about smiling. There is plenty of evidence that the act of smiling really does help. I just need to remember to practice a lot more often. I’m forcing one now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychology Today

How Smiling Affects Your Brain

Each time you smile, you throw a little feel-good party in your brain. The act of smiling activates neural messaging that benefits your health and happiness.

For starters, smiling activates the release of neuropeptides that work toward fighting off stress (3). Neuropeptides are tiny molecules that allow neurons to communicate. They facilitate messaging to the whole body when we are happy, sad, angry, depressed, or excited. The feel-good neurotransmitters — dopamine, endorphins and serotonin — are all released when a smile flashes across your face as well (4). This not only relaxes your body, but it can also lower your heart rate and blood pressure.

The endorphins also act as a natural pain reliever — 100-percent organic and without the potential negative side effects of synthetic concoctions (4).

Finally, the serotonin release brought on by your smile serves as an anti-depressant/mood lifter (5). Many of today’s pharmaceutical anti-depressants also influence the levels of serotonin in your brain, but with a smile, you again don’t have to worry about negative side effects — and you don’t need a prescription from your doctor.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (10-24-18), Fuzzy12 (10-23-18), lisariver (10-23-18), mildadhd (10-24-18), namazu (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 08:14 PM

Thanked 3,971 Times in 2,043 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Play music and/or sing.

Anti-anxiety meds worked wonders for my mom as I mentioned before though she eventually gave them up cause she herself had side effects.

I expected my blood pressure to go down after I retired due to the incredible drop in stress. It did go down but not as much as I thought it would. I just switched to a new doctor and she's running a ton of tests on me cause she doesn't understand why my blood pressure is so severe that I need tons of medication still. I suspect it's cause I endured too much stress for too long and it's caused permanent damage.

Anxiety shouldn't be taken lightly imo. It can destroy your body long term. I think anti-anxiety meds are worth the risk if without them, you're going to destroy yourself and take years off your life. Sorry, I imagine I sound like a salesman but I feel strongly about this.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-23-18), lisariver (10-24-18), Little Missy (10-23-18), mildadhd (10-24-18), namazu (10-23-18)
Old 10-24-18, 01:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I think anti-anxiety meds are worth the risk if without them, you're going to destroy yourself and take years off your life.
By anti-anxiety meds, do you mean long-term daily use of benzos? Or are you talking more about SSRIs?
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 02:13 AM

Thanked 3,971 Times in 2,043 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
By anti-anxiety meds, do you mean long-term daily use of benzos? Or are you talking more about SSRIs?
I mean whatever her doctor prescribes her. And I don't necessarily mean long-term either. I realize benzos are mainly for short term.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 02:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,408 Times in 15,013 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think deep breathing helps. I know that it seems to be the go-to when people talk about stress but its not so much about focusing on your breathing as it is flooding your body with oxygen which does help you calm down.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-24-18), mildadhd (10-24-18), namazu (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 03:38 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisariver View Post

That's a brilliant idea and definitely something I can do while driving!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-24-18), namazu (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 03:39 AM

Thanked 1,239 Times in 935 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Transit?

M
Fuzzy12 (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGM1970 View Post
I get stressed while driving sometimes, and sometimes it helps to pop in the 10% happier app I use and use one of the on-the-go meditations; there's a good one for driving, one for commuting, and one for on the way to work.

They chill me out pretty good.

D.
I did actually think of you and the 10% app when I realised I needed something to help me relax. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.
DanielGM1970 (10-24-18), mildadhd (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Play music and/or sing.

Anti-anxiety meds worked wonders for my mom as I mentioned before though she eventually gave them up cause she herself had side effects.

I expected my blood pressure to go down after I retired due to the incredible drop in stress. It did go down but not as much as I thought it would. I just switched to a new doctor and she's running a ton of tests on me cause she doesn't understand why my blood pressure is so severe that I need tons of medication still. I suspect it's cause I endured too much stress for too long and it's caused permanent damage.

Anxiety shouldn't be taken lightly imo. It can destroy your body long term. I think anti-anxiety meds are worth the risk if without them, you're going to destroy yourself and take years off your life. Sorry, I imagine I sound like a salesman but I feel strongly about this.
I don't think it's anxiety as such. I mean I do have anxiety (though not so much right now that I'm off work..long story..I'll update soon sorry ) I still have a bit of low level underlying anxiety at specific points in the day but right now my main problem (or rather the focus of This thread) are these relatively short lived highly intense bursts of annoyance and frustration.

I guess though maybe if I took an SSRI it might help with the short bursts as well. I did wonders for anxiety when I used to take them.

The last time round when I used to take stimulants that too helped massively with these short stress bursts. I'm not sure it does now because sometimes too irregular in taking the meds.
acdc01 (10-24-18), namazu (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Transit?

M

Huh? Where? How? Dubai?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 03:59 AM

Thanked 1,239 Times in 935 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Huh? Where? How? Dubai?
I take transit because driving distresses me out.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 10-24-18 at 04:14 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-24-18), namazu (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I take transit because driving distresses me out.

M

I'm sorry. I don't understand how you mean transit. I'm assuming you don't mean transit with respect to air travel?