ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-18, 10:11 PM

Thanked 34,062 Times in 15,423 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
vivid, but not real memories

Query: is this an ADHD thing or related to my other issues? I can imagine in a visceral, thechnicolour, consistently precise/detailed Way "memories" of stuff I know I didn't do. I'll give you an example: I have those kinds of near tangible experiences about observing my mum as a child (she's the child) from an "observer" perspective. Clearly this is false insofar as i never casually/analytically/near tangibly lived that given its impossibility.

They are indistinguishable from the real, objectively (*confirmable* even) way I have of remembering things I *did* live.

Anyone?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-07-18), mildadhd (11-08-18), namazu (11-07-18), tudorose (11-08-18)
Old 11-07-18, 10:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,474 Times in 11,513 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: vivid, but not real memories

I believe they are real. Even if only in my mind.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 11-07-18, 11:58 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,679 Times in 10,402 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how much has to do with ADHD, vs. other diagnoses, vs. the human mind just doing its weird thing.

There are circumstances/events that I did not personally observe, but which my mind can sew into a "living movie" of sorts, because I have seen pictures of the people involved, and heard stories, and fill in the blanks.

But I do not doubt that these vividly animated scenes of a past that I was not privy to are the product of my imagination. (Leaving out some quibbles about whether I was there as a germ cell, e.g....)

Sometimes I dream very vividly, and upon waking, it can sometimes be harder to distinguish memory from fantasy (or memory of fantasy?).

But I do not become easily convinced while awake that -- for example -- my deceased relatives are still alive and with us in a corporeal sense; nor (more weirdly) that my significant other has shrunk to the size of a crumb and has become mixed in with the crumbs from some baked goods and I must be careful in my panic not to squish him, if I haven't already. That doesn't mean I don't still feel a sense of (e.g.) unease after I wake.

So, my experience is that while I can visualize and almost feel and hear scenes as though I was there (when they were clearly, for one reason or another, fictitious), I also know and feel that these "recollections" are the products of my imagination mixed with photos and stories I've heard, and/or the bizarre products of REM sleep.

I'm having trouble coming up with an instance of this (either a sleep-dream or a day-dream) where the impossibility of it would be difficult to prove (by incongruity of facts or general implausibility) -- but then, how would I know if I had simply imagined it, if I couldn't verify against something other than my own recall?

I guess it's time to be concerned when one begins to discount the incongruous facts and general implausibility and to believe that something happened (despite evidence to the contrary), because it feels so real....? (I recognize that "implausibility" is a squishy and therefore probably operationally useless criterion, though the existence of contradictory facts is less so.)
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-08-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-18, 12:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,185 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I understand this and can relate. Whether it's adhd related I dunno. I'm a visual person and sometimes even daydreams seem real.
Little Missy (11-08-18)
Old 11-08-18, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

I think you have a particularly strong visual memory system, but I don't think it's directly related to ADHD. I think it's relatively common to have false memories that seem just as real as real memories.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-08-18)