ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-12, 10:52 PM

Yes, I'm Trying is on a distinguished road
Envy of mundane things...

I've been trying to fight this feeling, but it keeps going on. I tend to fall into a trap of envying the "mundane" things people seem to be able to do that I can't (yet/easily). I'm referring to things like being able to hold a job, balance work/play, make friends, find things, etc.

I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself - that would be dumb - but when people (especially certain family members) ask, "Why can't you ______ like ______?" "Why aren't you trying?" "They can - why can't you?" "They're not as smart as you, so why not?", it makes me frustrated, to say the least. The irony is that those family members technically provide for me well, so I end up feeling spoiled. Doesn't help that I "flew under the radar" for many, many years and was expected to be "normal" even though there were obvious problems.

I'm really not a "keep up with the Joneses" type of person, either. I hate that way of thinking, and I'm not materialistic at all. It's just the simplest things that others take for granted and expect me to do.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yes, I'm Trying For This Useful Post:
BR549 (04-12-12), Joker_Girl (04-15-12), purpleToes (04-13-12), salleh (04-13-12), Steven_Tyler77 (04-13-12)
Old 04-13-12, 12:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,259 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Envy of mundane things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes, I'm Trying View Post
I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself - that would be dumb - but when people (especially certain family members) ask, "Why can't you ______ like ______?" "Why aren't you trying?" "They can - why can't you?" "They're not as smart as you, so why not?", it makes me frustrated, to say the least.
The part that is really hard for family, friends, significant-others to comprehend is that despite being smart (often significantly smarter than average), we have a very difficult time putting that smartness to use.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
purpleToes (04-13-12), salleh (04-13-12), Steven_Tyler77 (04-13-12)
Old 04-13-12, 05:22 AM

Steven_Tyler77 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
The part that is really hard for family, friends, significant-others to comprehend is that despite being smart (often significantly smarter than average), we have a very difficult time putting that smartness to use.
That's exactly what happens to me. I always get told: "You're so smart, how could you have forgotten to do so and so?" No matter how hard I try, I cannot explain to them that intelligence and working memory are not connected to each other, as far as brain functioning goes...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-12, 06:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,278 Times in 13,266 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes, I'm Trying View Post
I've been trying to fight this feeling, but it keeps going on. I tend to fall into a trap of envying the "mundane" things people seem to be able to do that I can't (yet/easily). I'm referring to things like being able to hold a job, balance work/play, make friends, find things, etc.

I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself - that would be dumb - but when people (especially certain family members) ask, "Why can't you ______ like ______?" "Why aren't you trying?" "They can - why can't you?" "They're not as smart as you, so why not?", it makes me frustrated, to say the least. The irony is that those family members technically provide for me well, so I end up feeling spoiled. Doesn't help that I "flew under the radar" for many, many years and was expected to be "normal" even though there were obvious problems.

I'm really not a "keep up with the Joneses" type of person, either. I hate that way of thinking, and I'm not materialistic at all. It's just the simplest things that others take for granted and expect me to do.
so sorry you are being made to feel this way and you desserve to fell good about yoursxelf for getting the help you need. Tell them to f**k off..maybe not necessarily in those words but you get the pitcture

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 04-13-12, 08:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah ...you crack me up ......I think we should clone you in miniature, and then you could sit on our shoulders and whisper into our ears ....."don't take that s***, tell 'em to f*** off" ......hee hee hee .....

....and Trying .....you have hit upon what may be the number 1 problem that we all share ......those mundane things are what we all wrestle with on a 24/7 basis....you are not alone .....it is the very definition of what an ADDer suffers from ......

....Stick around and see what I mean ......lots of threads on this very subject ......

and right now, I should be starting to work on my weeks goal, to get this place cleaned up and it is literally chaos here.....and what am I doing ...????? why, I am wnadering around this site offering my great wisdom to anyone I feel like answering .....sigh ......it really bis a curse......( the procrastination, not the "wisdom")

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (04-13-12)
Old 04-13-12, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

FogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to all

Heh, another thread about me.

My Mom told me this as a kid:
'WHY CAN'T YOU BE MORE LIKE _____ and ______ ACROSS THE STREET?!?!'

Thanks Mom, another star for confidence building.

Most jobs get excruciatingly mind numbingly boring, which is why I stay average 3 years, my last job 5 years, laid off probably because I was going noticeably insane.

Yes, I'm trying sayeth thusly:
Quote:
-How do 'reglar folks get up to do the SAME thing everyday and not go nuts and get fired?
-How can a guy kick around a soccer ball all day in a park every day and still find it fun?
-How can an adult play with model trains and love it every day?
-How do people eat, breathe and sleep hockey, and interest remains high?

Where do they get all that dopamine from? Is someone handing out dopamine, but I did not know because I was not paying attention?

"Here, take this, it will make the everyday mundane feel fun, and hobbies infinitely rewarding!!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FogNoggin For This Useful Post:
Steven_Tyler77 (04-15-12), TheOceanIsTea (04-15-12)
Old 04-15-12, 02:03 AM

TheOceanIsTea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogNoggin View Post
Heh, another thread about me.
-How do 'reglar folks get up to do the SAME thing everyday and not go nuts and get fired?
-How can a guy kick around a soccer ball all day in a park every day and still find it fun?
-How can an adult play with model trains and love it every day?
-How do people eat, breathe and sleep hockey, and interest remains high?
Last semester in grad school, I tried to set a regular schedule. I woke up and went to bed as close as I could to the same times, I ate the same breakfast and studied for my qualifying exams, I saw a few key friends, I went for runs and bike rides, I rehearsed with the same band, I kept a journal. That, combined with an autumn-induced seasonal affective disorder, made me as miserable as I have ever been in my life.

This semester, I go to in to my office sometimes, stay up late some nights, skip class to run errands when the moment seems right, and keep a heap of side projects on the back burner, many of which I know will fail. I journal if I feel like it and invent new breakfasts (coconut macaroons in plain yogurt!). This is obviously much better. I don't know if I could do this during the fall, but right now I am living an incredibly charmed life for an ADDer. I think I need to choose my battles -- if I can keep myself from losing my backpack and racking up $50 of parking tickets in a day, they can keep the other mundane stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOceanIsTea For This Useful Post:
Steven_Tyler77 (04-15-12)