ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-04, 06:04 PM
Jr Member

Duckie is on a distinguished road
Positive qualities in ADD people

I met with my counselor this morning and I asked her how other ADD people are like, because to tell you the truth, there was noone like me around here or I didn't notice them. Anyway she said she had a lot of experience with ADD people, and they are not really bad. She said there was a study that said that ADD has higher intelligence than non ADD on average. I wonder if she said that just to make me happy. Anyway, I wonder if anyone feel that ADD has some positive qualities.

I'll begin with the most common, my counselor said we are more creative and have different way to think of things. Like if the door is closed; instead of trying to push it, we would go around and find some windows or other ways to get in.

Your turn...
Old 11-02-04, 08:21 PM
Contributor

Struggling is on a distinguished road
Creative was the first thing to come to my mind. I think ADDer's definitely have some unique positive qualities, it's just hard for us to see them sometimes because we're crazy (joking lol) ....Which leads me to a positive quality, hehe...our unique sense of humour...I love it

I suffer from Overwhlemization Paralyzation
Old 11-02-04, 10:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
I totally agree with your counslour. We are very creative people. I feel like ADD people have a totally different outlook on things. We tend to think outside the box, so to speak. People at work will often say to me "whatever u are taking I want some of it" cause I have such random and off the wall thoughts that I feel the need to share. Just things like that. Plus hyperfocusing on a particular thing at a certain point in time.
If your important people will wait for u!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-04, 01:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Duckie, the "creative" hit me straight away. We are highly creative, and it wouldn't surprise me if a great many of the world's best creators are ADD/ADHD.

I once read of a controlled test that was done of creative people, all types, writers, musicians, artists/fine art, and they gave them "Prozac". All of them complained that they had lost their creativity. Writers were rewarded with writers block. Artists couldn't paint as they usually did, and musicians lost their "feeling" or Passion for the music in order to create "their" sound.

I WISH I could find that article again! But it was an experiment that is extremely telling.

Sense of humor is another as someone else has said

For me, hyperfocus is a real plus. I love it!
Old 11-03-04, 06:28 AM

Draga has disabled reputation
Creative ..I like that one
Have more empathy for others...even so much so that some can even feel each others pain.
I have known some who even have E.S.P Ability...actually plentyD
Open mindedness.
Some of the things about ADD that seem bad to others I find to be a blessing, like my impulsiveness...Hey, What is lie without risk...and how can you actually LIVE with restrictions. I see ADHD as just one of the many traits that seperates me from the rest of em...Individuality and the right to be Just who I am is something I cherish and refuse to act any different than the way I am now to appease others of society who make no bearings on my survival...FREE WILL aint it great

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Draga For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (09-20-09), RedHairedWitch (09-19-09), Sapphire11 (11-18-12)
Old 11-03-04, 05:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

xav has disabled reputation
Talking Good side & bad side

Searching for adder around ?

Creative, intelligent never stopping doing something, brain never stopping thinking something...

Well if you see someone with this all, he can be an ADD

Wait for some time,

Until this guy start to look bad, like if he//she will cry

then if you see he/she with

An hyper sentitivity to other people feelings,
An incapacity to erect a border between other people feeling an his own feeling
An trend to doubt his skills

If all of this occurs to the same personne in the same day then you have an Adder
The Following User Says Thank You to xav For This Useful Post:
Judia (09-20-09)
Old 11-03-04, 05:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

xav has disabled reputation
ADD intelligence

Are Adder more intelligent than other people ?

Yes of course

Every morning before going to work we have to be very intelligent ,
if we want to find again these (censured ) car's keys that kept moving during the nigth
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xav For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (06-22-10), Judia (09-20-09), Sapphire11 (11-18-12)
Old 11-03-04, 05:48 PM

Garry has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by xav
Are Adder more intelligent than other people ?

Yes of course

Every morning before going to work we have to be very intelligent ,
if we want to find again these (censured ) car's keys that kept moving during the nigth
Grin that is so cute and so true about the car keys..........

I am going to throw this out for peoples reaction.......

Are Adders more intelligent than other people ?

or

Are Adders more (likely to think outside of the box and come up with ideas that seem intelligent ) becuase most people are afraid to let there mind go, and then run with an idea for fear of what others may think ????

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

The Following User Says Thank You to Garry For This Useful Post:
chamaleon (09-19-09)
Old 11-03-04, 05:49 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
Ouch.. hehe
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 11-03-04, 06:14 PM

Garry has disabled reputation
Ok please explain

"Ouch"

Did I say something that I shouldn't have said

or did I say what I wanted to say but not in a very good choice of words

please enlighten me

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 11-03-04, 11:09 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
Garry the "hehe" would be me laughing and the "Ouch" is me feeling the commonality with losing my keys.. < g >
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 11-03-04, 11:42 PM
Jr Member

acnail83 is on a distinguished road
This is good, because I had actually thought about making a post like this. I find that I tend to think about something from all angles, and try not to just jump into things. Also, my mind goes from thing to thing, making connections I might never have thought of if I hadn't drifted off topic. I'm worried since I'm about to go on meds (Start tomorrow) if they will diminish these things that I consider positives?
Old 11-04-04, 06:36 PM

omgwtfbbq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie
I met with my counselor this morning and I asked her how other ADD people are like, because to tell you the truth, there was noone like me around here or I didn't notice them. Anyway she said she had a lot of experience with ADD people, and they are not really bad. She said there was a study that said that ADD has higher intelligence than non ADD on average. I wonder if she said that just to make me happy. Anyway, I wonder if anyone feel that ADD has some positive qualities.

I'll begin with the most common, my counselor said we are more creative and have different way to think of things. Like if the door is closed; instead of trying to push it, we would go around and find some windows or other ways to get in.

Your turn...
Well, I just tried to reply, but lost everything I wrote, somehow...I'll summarize what I had typed out.

I have lots of friends with ADD that would score average or even below average on a mathematical-logical and linguistic IQ test. Only one of them has the potential to score above average. I'm certain of this.

I've read a few abstracts about the comparison of IQ levels between kids with HIV, TBI(traumatic brain injury), and ADHD. Those with TBI and ADHD showed no statistical difference in IQ levels. That is to say, the kids with freakin brain damage were just as smart as the kids with ADHD. I searched my school's database and found no study relating ADHD to a higher level of intelligence, or to any level of intelligence, for that matter. I did find a study that tried to see if Ritalin would increase the IQ of persons with ADHD that had an IQ deficiency. I note this only to point out that there are people with ADHD that are, well, stupid.

I provided this information just to argue that ADHD has no relation to IQ levels. No other mental disorder has been shown to have a connection with a high IQ(please don't bring up schizophrenia or OCD, these have never been proven to be statistically associated with high IQs anymore you would expect when choosing a representative sampling of a population). ADHD is nothing special...So, you can have ADHD and be sharp as a tack or be dull as a spoon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omgwtfbbq For This Useful Post:
CptNemo (09-18-09), Crazygirl79 (09-20-09), Omega-strain (11-20-12)
Old 11-04-04, 07:24 PM
Jr Member

Duckie is on a distinguished road
I think omgwtfbbq was right. I watched a video about ADHD yesterday that said a study showed that ADDers' IQ scores are normally distributed, just like nonADDers. So there's no connection between IQ and ADD. I think the myth that ADDers are more intelligent came about long time ago when only the ones who have high education would know about their problems while left out a lot of ADD people who don't know that there's something wrong with their brain. Anyway, I do feel that ADDers like me think in an unstructured way. This is very weird to me, I'm both good and bad at logics when I was in high school. I came up with an answer, then i work my way back logically to make sure it's right (and take long time). I don't know if this is good or bad but sometimes I do something without knowing why I do it. But then later I figure out the reason, this is totally weird. I guess this is like intution, not IQ. I don't think it's good because if we have a decision we have to expain to others why it is so.
So I would add to ADDers a good quality which is being intuitive. Everyone agree?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duckie For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (09-20-09), RedHairedWitch (09-19-09)
Old 11-04-04, 07:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swamp Donkey is on a distinguished road
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xav
...these (censured ) car's keys that kept moving during the nigth
ROTFLOL!
And I thought that only happened with American cars!
Ever been out in the woods and felt like you were being watched?
** Photo taken March 1999 near The Forks, Maine.**