ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-18, 10:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,292 Times in 13,958 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: We need a 'parents with adhd' board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Can you tell me what GDD stands for?
I think it might be grand daughter or maybe grand daughter dearest...
Old 10-29-18, 10:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,292 Times in 13,958 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
I'm an adult with ADHD, a senior age woman. My only child fortunately does not have ADHD. My Granddaughter does, definitely. It's kind of a situation where I really struggled with being a parent. I wanted to be a good parent, but just getting through life with all its difficulties as an undiagnosed and somewhat clueless ADHD mother of a very bright type A daughter...I felt inadequate. Both my grandchildren were troubled as they grew up. I knew my grandson had emotional problems and had to be sent away as a teen to a facility that treated such teens, but although not diagnosed ADHD, he had other problems. My GDD began to spiral out of control in high school, with substance abuse. I wasn't told about that at first. One day I was visiting and out of the blue my DD started talking about my GDD and comparing her to me. I didn't know why...words like "free spirit" surprised me. Never even thought of myself that way. And when I did find out later, I didn't understand why, even if she was like me, she was abusing drugs and alcohol. I never did really, although there was one point in my life when I drank a bit much...the deaths of my two parents, depression, a divorce, trying to be a single mother to a teen who rebelled against me and the rules I tried to enforce, my self-doubt, etc. So I'm already here as an adult ADHD person. Not sure where the grandmother of a ADHD person fits in. I also have a nephew who is ADHD...I believe my late sister (his mother) was ADHD, although never diagnosed. ADHD usually is a family thing.
I'm sorry Sasha. You haven't had it easy. Do you feel that your daughter blames you in any way for the problems that your grand kids are having? Not that I think you are to be blamed but I was wondering if that was what you were saying.
Old 10-29-18, 10:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

My granddaughter. Stuck a G onto DD (daughter)..don't know if that's correct. She's in college now...finally! Wished I'd been able to do college while I was still young! My DD is helping her financially.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-18, 10:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I'm sorry Sasha. You haven't had it easy. Do you feel that your daughter blames you in any way for the problems that your grand kids are having? Not that I think you are to be blamed but I was wondering if that was what you were saying.
I don't think she does, but I feel bad when I think that maybe my ADHD genes contributed to the granddaughter's problems. But there were other things. Their Mom & Dad divorced and later their father wasn't very supportive. Their Mom was ambitious and went through college and med school as a single mom while they were young, then the kids were with their father a couple of years when she had too much on her plate. Then when she got the kids back, they had to adjust to a stepfather and his two kids. Just a lot of stuff went on.