ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-18, 09:56 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,213 Times in 7,325 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Experience with EMDR therapy?

Has anyone tried EMDR therapy? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_...d_reprocessing

I have heard and read about some pretty good results in regards to trauma. My friend claims his wife greatly benefited from it. Iím considering trying it.

I also see it being marketed through therapists for everything from anxiety, depression, addiction, eating disorders and so on. Seems like a gimmick or being over marketed for other disorders.

I know there must be a line between actuality, factuality and B.S.ality. Where do you draw the line in regards to the effectiveness of EMDR therapy? I believe it helps with trauma. Curious about its ability to help with anxiety.
Old 11-03-18, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,002 Times in 12,134 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Experience with EMDR therapy?

Kunga Dorji posted a thread about eye movements not too long ago ...

Impaired eye movement as a "drain on working memory"

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-03-18), lisariver (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 01:13 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Kunga Dorji posted a thread about eye movements not too long ago ...

Impaired eye movement as a "drain on working memory"
Thanks Luna,
It really doesn’t go into EMDR therapy or it’s realm of effectiveness though. I messaged Kunga about this several days ago but unfortunately, I don’t think he’s been online since.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-18, 01:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

I did emdr a handful of times, it was interesting, for me it was kind of like meditating. This is when I first starting working my inner child, being shown some events that were traumatizing and my therapist having me construct a different ending for them, bringing my child to safety.

I lost trust in my therapist when during the last session, I opened my eyes and my therapist was texting madly away on her phone and didn't notice me for several, what seemed like, minutes.

Now I've moved on to brainspotting. Not sure about it yet.

Give it a try, apparently it's being used successfully with war veterans. I might try it again someday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-03-18), Little Missy (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 02:14 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Lisa, please keep us posted about your experiences with BSP. I find that fascinating too and hope you really benefit from it.

How many sessions have you had with brainspotting?
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
lisariver (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 03:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,002 Times in 12,134 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard of this being done with tapping while remembering painful events,
but had not heard about doing rapid eye movements while remembering.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
lisariver (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 04:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

I've had some interesting emotional release with it, on my 3rd or 4th visit. But i'm distracted by the fact that he holds a pointer for so long (I find myself worrying that his arm/hand is getting tired and I feel guilty) and my (undiagnosed) oppositional qualities resist being told what to do (keep my eyes on the pointer), i sort of feel like a trained seal.
So I asked to take a break for a while, to build up more rapport/trust.

I don't yet understand how he finds the spot upon which to train my eyes. In rereading the thread/link that Luna posted of K.D., he mentions something about being able to see something in the eyes once you're trained how, I wonder if it's the same thing and I'd like to know more about that. If you don't know what I'm talking about (and want to know, ask, I will find it)

Will keep you posted if anything noteworthy happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Lisa, please keep us posted about your experiences with BSP. I find that fascinating too and hope you really benefit from it.

How many sessions have you had with brainspotting?
The Following User Says Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 05:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

I keep forgetting all about this method and I really like it a lot. I have often instinctively tapped my chest when in distress. I like Jessica Ortner's video and then there's another one that's longer with her brother, that's good too, explaining how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I have heard of this being done with tapping while remembering painful events,
but had not heard about doing rapid eye movements while remembering.