ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Other Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-17, 07:26 PM

excelsior has a spectacular aura aboutexcelsior has a spectacular aura about
Re: Paranoia

Sometimes I'm hyper-vigilant. I've been told I may suffer from post-traumatic stress.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to excelsior For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-11-17), midnightstar (04-23-17)
Old 04-13-17, 05:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,948 Times in 10,583 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Midsy, I saw this today and thought of you ... (sorry this is so large)

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
InvitroCanibal (05-28-17), Letching Gray (04-22-17), midnightstar (04-23-17), someothertime (05-28-17)
Old 04-22-17, 08:30 AM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

[quote=Lunacie;1942556]Midsy, I saw this today and thought of you ... (sorry this is so large)

what the sign said.

holy cow. that is fitting
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (04-23-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-17, 04:44 AM

Thanked 1,260 Times in 521 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant future

I see paranoia as the need for instant gratification. Your mind searches for solutions in the fastest way possible and naturally it takes shortcuts. These shortcuts are logical in one sense but impractical in all others. Kind of like how the fastest way out of a hotel is technically through the window, the mind rarely takes into account the wrecklessness of its own solutions.
Lunacie (05-28-17), midnightstar (05-28-17)
Old 05-31-17, 03:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

aur462 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvitroCanibal View Post
I see paranoia as the need for instant gratification. Your mind searches for solutions in the fastest way possible and naturally it takes shortcuts. These shortcuts are logical in one sense but impractical in all others. Kind of like how the fastest way out of a hotel is technically through the window, the mind rarely takes into account the wrecklessness of its own solutions.
Do you mind explaining the logical but impractical part more? The "hotel window" exit is an example of a behavior, rather than delusional thought processes. My questioning this comes from a neophyte in the paranoia department, so definitely not an indictment to your analogy. Just trying to see if I'm missing something.

I think of paranoia as delusion (oftentimes) and incorrect value judgments for incidents that are benign and/or unrelated to what the "paranoid person" may be convinced of. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 06-05-17, 10:44 PM

Thanked 1,260 Times in 521 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aur462 View Post
Do you mind explaining the logical but impractical part more? The "hotel window" exit is an example of a behavior, rather than delusional thought processes. My questioning this comes from a neophyte in the paranoia department, so definitely not an indictment to your analogy. Just trying to see if I'm missing something.

I think of paranoia as delusion (oftentimes) and incorrect value judgments for incidents that are benign and/or unrelated to what the "paranoid person" may be convinced of. Hopefully that makes sense.
I was using an analogy but I can try to clarify it.

Short sided thinking. I've found most of our solutions to feelings that overwhelm us involve some degree of short sided thknking.

A real life example is when a U.S congressmen went outside during a session on global warmimg, grabbed a snowball and brought it back in to present as proof that global warming is not true.

Another example are the apocalypse survival kits they sell at Costco. You'll live 3 days longer but is that really a good thing?

Shortsided thinking usually puts correlation as causation.

The truth is, something can be true but right in one situation and wrong in all others.

A logic illogic example is "If it is raining, than the streets are wet" True
But "If the streets are wet, then it rained" Untrue.

A further example is, "All cats are mammals, but not all mammals are cats."

People under stress and in desperation, look for easy answers. In the pursuit of easy answers we make our lives worse.

Being anxious is okay, but you do have to double check your assumptions. I did mentoring and consulting. Doctors do short sided thinking as much as the rest of us.

A good way to get around short sided thinking is to talk about it. Thus therapy was born. Another way is to look at your previous solutions and ask yourself if it didn't work last time, then why would it work this time?

It's best to challenge your past choices rather than obsess and fear ypur future choices. If you did it before and it didn't work, then look for an alternative solution. Implement it, and if it fails, journal it and try a different approach. And so on.

Anyways, I hope that answered your question, but if not I could send ypu research on it. I just don't like to use research to muscle my points because I feel like that is more about intimidation then discussion.

Thanks
Old 06-06-17, 04:25 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,930 Times in 9,007 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

So, not exactly instant gratification, which is a pleasure thing...

Maybe more like jumping to conclusions, or being extremely impatient - demanding an answer before even understanding the question.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-06-17)
Old 06-07-17, 02:20 AM

Thanked 29,923 Times in 13,394 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

when i was posting above about "paranoia" i was talking about what in clinical terms would be called persecutory delusions, though they can also be delusions of thought.

what's being described in terms of short cuts of the mind or instant gratification do not in any way, and the examples, do not match my experiences AT ALL.

i think there are ways these words have found themselves in the vernacular and we are talking about very different things. having a psychotic break based on delusional thought processes often goes hand in hand with a lack of insight (anosognosia) and in my experience when it's getting "notice", so to speak, there is simply not a way to "logic-illogic" the thoughts and oft accompanying voices. these are things built up over time, not little breaches of cause and effect.

i feel like i could say more to give examples of what i'm talking about but they would not be ...pleasant, i guess. which is the other thing...there is no "gratification" really. because if you're right, you're straight ******, and if you're wrong, you're mentally ill with a highly-stigmatized group of possible labels.

i could find research to support what i'm saying here, too, but i'm speaking from personal experience. "paranoia" isn't the same is what's being described in some of these later posts. at least, my psychiatrist and others on my care team would strongly disagree.

Last edited by peripatetic; 06-07-17 at 02:31 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (06-07-17), someothertime (06-07-17)