ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-11-11, 03:04 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,770 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: living off the government ADHD

You are certainly welcome to your own opinion, but Board guidelines include avoiding political controversy.

This is the ADHD board, the Bash Moms on Welfare forum is down the hall.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-11-11), ItsaRose (05-28-17), nevermore (05-11-11)
Old 05-11-11, 03:08 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,699 Times in 12,970 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Gies for not keeping my aggreement with another person private. I did not know that welfare misuse was political.y
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-11-11), nevermore (05-11-11)
Old 05-11-11, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,894 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

It's political because it is opinion about 'misuse' There's plenty who could argue that people hobby in smearing the less fortunate.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-11, 04:22 PM

feelme03 is on a distinguished road

I think if you can't work, how could you get a girlfriend, especially a secretary. I'd say working is easier than trying to have a good relationship. Have you tried to look for a job? Have you ever worked? What about part time at a store stocking shelves, cleaning a offices. There are retarded people at the unemployment office, where I live, that clean the place. Can you walk? I've seen greeters at Walmart in wheel chairs. I bet you can be a greeter, can you say 'hello' and smile? I think you need to give yourself credit.
Old 05-11-11, 04:28 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
It's political because it is opinion about 'misuse' There's plenty who could argue that people hobby in smearing the less fortunate.
I should rephrase myself. I didn't know welfare talk was political because this whole thread is about living off the government and ssi ssdi. So I thought it was ok. Miuse was also inpoor form because its a subjective thing. I don't like to pick on the less fortunate because finacially I am less fortunate. I having issues expressing myself today.
Old 05-11-11, 04:49 PM
Contributor

demfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to all

Well, sorry if this is off-topic, and sorry if I'm totally just missing something here, but I don't see that much disagreement on THIS thread (I haven't read others on this topic, though.) It seems like the majority of posters on this thread agree that disability is a necessary option for some people, and from reading Possum and Fractured Story's stories (haha...story'sstories) I think these sound like very legitimate reasons to not be able to work (not that it's my job to evaluate that kind of thing...thank goodness!) I didn't see anyone disagreeing with that (but maybe I missed something...it's been known to happen )

I understand the need to keep politics out of it, but at the same time, I don't think you can have a conversation about disability without considering its misuse, because it's become a huge part of the system. That to me is not a political comment. It's a fact that some people lie and cheat to get disability they don't truly need. How you want to HANDLE that is where politics comes in (IMO.) I am not frustrated BY ADHD people on disability, I'm frustrated FOR them - the entire institution has an unfair stigma attached to it and operates inefficiently at least in part because of the sheer number of applicants and the amount of background-checking that goes into accepting applications.

As far as your initial question, nevermore, I would not look to disability lightly (not that you are, necessarily.) As others have mentioned, applying for disability is a job by itself. It's a VERY involved process and isn't easy to undertake, plus it takes time to get approved. Applying for most jobs is easier, trust me! Disability comes into play if/when you are truly unable to function at a job. It is and should be a "last resort" and if you don't qualify, you'll just be wasting your time and energy. I don't know you and your abilities/disabilities well enough to know if that would prove to be true in your case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demfabbones For This Useful Post:
dsvlil1 (05-12-11), tudorose (05-11-11)
Old 05-11-11, 04:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,894 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I should rephrase myself. I didn't know welfare talk was political because this whole thread is about living off the government and ssi ssdi. So I thought it was ok. Miuse was also inpoor form because its a subjective thing. I don't like to pick on the less fortunate because finacially I am less fortunate. I having issues expressing myself today.

The members responding to the thread are saying they are experiencing impariment such that they can't work. Going off topic on opinions unrelated and they are political opinions gets us into trouble

Sarah, I know you're trying, I'm giving you props for that, it's difficult figuring out all the ins and outs. I do understand ((((hugs))))
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (05-11-11)
Old 05-11-11, 06:05 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,537 Times in 1,944 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

EVERY system is open to abuse which is why there are always compliance measures in place to try and stop it. This is a fact of life. The ones who suffer are the genuine ones who really need help but have to wait ages and jump through many hoops to get approved because others have abused the system. 5 years seems like an excessive amount of time to wait and sounds very stressful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
demfabbones (05-11-11), dsvlil1 (05-12-11)
Old 05-11-11, 07:30 PM
Mod-A-holic

It was a long process to apply for and receive disability but its also so hit or miss. A woman from school bragged that she got disability for her back so she could stay home with her kids. I bet a lot of single moms would like that help. I wonder if the government looks at applications differently with regard to physical vs mental disabilties
Old 05-15-17, 09:55 PM

Welterfutz is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: living off the government ADHD

To Whom it Applies,

There might be some people that you think are asking stupid, or in some cases, insulting questions but wear the shoes, know what I mean? Yeah, I know you have ADHD shoes but I also know you ain't wearing mine. Or his. Or hers. Everyone on here seems to agree that ADHD comes in all forms and sizes so if someone has the drive to even join this group and ask a question, save the pitchforks. Not everyone can express thoughts thru a keyboard perfectly and unless your're living in a cave in Siberia (lucky jerk!), you should know that wording things correctly is on the endangered species list.

Diagnosed at 40 (about 2 years ago) and a brand-freakin new member (not reader though) I can assure you that when some folks say, or even imply, they're "giving up", they're serious; as serious as it gets. As in, "I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend" type ****. Just because some folks on here can work, push through, volunteer, WHATEVER, doesn't mean everyone can. Or STILL can, I should say.

Maybe some of these people, like myself, have joined and are asking "insulting" questions out of desperation. True, sincere, unstoppable desperation. Written media and its general lack of tone, inflection, personal history, and visual cues (think texting mis-interpretations we've ALL experienced) isn't everyone's strong point.

I'm sure I'll get the currently-hyper-focused-crew on here bawling me out bc, currently unmedicated by choice, there's NO WAY I could get through every entry on this thread. However, I've read enough on here, and on a bunch of other threads, to see that, for the very reasons I joined this site and its comforting anonymity, the judgement I've seen sporadically on here is as comparable as what's out my front door. Sporadic is still dangerous.

I searched this thread because I'm at the end of my rope and while I've pushed through the last 35 years, I'm just about outta gas. Running on fumes these last 10 or so and no gas station in sight.

So just because YOU can push forward and YOU somehow have the grit to get thru doesn't mean some one else can. It doesn't matter what YOU can do because some of us are typing from the ledge and while I'm happy I don't see you up here, that sure as hell doesn't fix my problems because they're MINE, not yours, and you have no idea the layers of snow that this snowball has picked up on its way down the mountain.

Instead of assuming you know ANYTHING about someone else's personal Avalanche -maybe they're not great at (or even willing to) explaining them, their inner-turmoil, and perhaps their decades of mind-twists to complete strangers on a forum- give them the benefit of the doubt. If not for them, maybe the guys like me that have been watching from the back row for the last few months and could really benefit from some well-thought-out answers to questions without the accompanying judgement because, while the person that asked the question may very well be a giant cornhole (I'm not saying they are), there's a dozen other folks out there you may be be dissuading from joining and finding help on here. Fortunately, it didn't stop me but I KNOW I'm not everyone else.

Just because you can get by doesn't mean everyone can. Believe it.

Last edited by namazu; 05-15-17 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: Added breaks for easier reading.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Welterfutz For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-16-17), ItsaRose (05-28-17), Little Missy (05-19-17), psychopathetic (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 12:38 AM

Thanked 30,730 Times in 13,782 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

so...your to whom it may concern didn't really apply to me because i think this might be the first time i saw this thread...2011 was a particularly bad year for me and i was unwell. in fact, the day this thread was started...my best friend completed. so...yeah, there are people here who've been on the ledge. some of us remain and some don't. sorry to be morbid, but...i'm morbid of late myself.

nevertheless...these bits caught my eye on skim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welterfutz View Post
I can assure you that when some folks say, or even imply, they're "giving up", they're serious; as serious as it gets. As in, "I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend" type ****.

Maybe some of these people, like myself, have joined and are asking "insulting" questions out of desperation.

I searched this thread because I'm at the end of my rope and while I've pushed through the last 35 years, I'm just about outta gas. Running on fumes these last 10 or so and no gas station in sight.
so... i hope you come back. you're not alone in being at the end of your rope. come back and talk about it.

i hope you're safe and feeling better tomorrow than you did today.

xx -peri
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-28-17), Little Missy (05-19-17), midnightstar (05-16-17), psychopathetic (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 03:02 AM
Mod-A-holic

Most people arent jerks here.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-19-17), psychopathetic (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 07:42 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 12,637 Times in 6,233 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welterfutz View Post
TSo just because YOU can push forward and YOU somehow have the grit to get thru doesn't mean some one else can. It doesn't matter what YOU can do because some of us are typing from the ledge and while I'm happy I don't see you up here, that sure as hell doesn't fix my problems because they're MINE, not yours, and you have no idea the layers of snow that this snowball has picked up on its way down the mountain.
I agree with this. We may all have ADHD of one type or another...but we're still completely individual just like any other human beings would be. We've all got our own paths, experiences, and baggages. We all have something in common, but we're all still completely different.

Welcome to posting

(((((((Welterz)))))))

((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-16-17), ItsaRose (05-28-17), Little Missy (05-19-17), midnightstar (05-16-17)
Old 05-19-17, 12:21 PM

stelth is on a distinguished road

From both sides of the isle,I have always worked, worked hard, my opinion always HAD been aligned with a stanch conservative attitude on work and bennifits. After working for 35 years, at various jobs, many of which didn't end so well, I had found myself in one that really fit.I worked there for 17 years. A change was made that I wasn't able to deal with, and a lifetime of failure,frustration, disappointment, and rejection,all came to a head.I was done. My wife had me hospitalized, or I wouldn't be here. It's like an earthquake happened in my mind and in my sole,and shook loose every bit of confidence, self worth,and faith in self I ever had,just like that, everything I was disappeared. The meer thought of going through the process of applying for a new job has my anxiety so high that I can't speak.Its the fear of failure, I know shake it off buttercup, that's what being a man is all about, but I am not that far away from those suicidal thoughts, and it wouldn't take much to put me over the edge. So now disability is the only thing that may help. I don't have the patience, frustration tolerance, or the ability to go through this process. My wife and attorney are handling that. My opinion of people on disability has had to change, I am not capable of working anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stelth For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-28-17), Little Missy (05-19-17)
Old 05-20-17, 09:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not acquainted with a lot of the people who were around here in 2011, but suspect the argument largely started because of the OP's choice of words. The idea behind disability benefits and other government welfare is that you get it because you need it. The "downside" of getting it is that you aren't supposed to get it if you don't need it. (Needing it usually entails no other options, but not necessarily. Like, I don't think you should avoid disability payments just because you could get a family member to support you.) The OP makes it sound like it's free money and the downside of taking it is that it ruins your reputation and career, so if you don't care about those downsides, you might as well go for it.

I'm guessing the OP did have legitimate need and talked abut it that way because anti-welfare people in the past have made him feel ashamed of the idea. (It's a common conflict-mitigation tactic to criticize yourself so as to preempt criticism from others. Backfired in this case.) However, that means I'm guessing he meant something different than what he said, so I can't really fault someone who interprets the post to be about getting welfare just so you don't have to get a job. On rare occasions, these kinds of forums do get questions about how to commit disability fraud.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-28-17)