ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-11, 03:35 PM
PixiePlumber's Avatar
PixiePlumber PixiePlumber is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 521
Blog Entries: 34
Thanks: 21
Thanked 330 Times in 212 Posts
PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice
I really need some help - Low pitch noises

I am getting so fed up with my flatmate. All the time he is playing games or on the computer and I can hear all the low pitch noises and it drives me insane. Right now (and this isn't the only time I've had to do this) I've had to resort to a combination of in ear headphones (which hurt my ears when pressed in like this), cotton wool, white tack and then more cotton wool and ear defenders that my brother's school use to help with the autistic children when it gets a bit chaotic for them.

And sometimes I don't wanna listen to music up loud with my earphones pressed in.

1. He won't turn it low enough. If he turns it quiet enough it's still at a decent level, but the bass still gets in. We've been through this before. Then the next day it's back up loud again

2. This guy plays the electric guitar, and shooting games. On top of that he has a very audible annoying laugh that makes me wanna strangle him every time I hear it.

3. I don't wanna move out. I have been here ages and don't wanna have to get to know new people again, they've already set up their groups and probably wouldn't let people in, I'm not an instantly likeable person.

4. I can't tell on him for it, he'll know it's me as the guy on the other side doesn't care. It probably doesn't bother him as much as he's NT.

5. Ear defenders on their own do worse. They block out the regular pitch noises but bass pitch noises and lower are just echoed.

6. Music up loud jammed in my ears and white tack and cotton wool and ear defenders works to a degree, but I can't wear my glasses properly and it hurts my ears

7. I can't wear in-ear earplugs as well as normal, as I have a lot of piercings in that area of my ear. (2 or 3 on each that affect the way I wear earphones on both)


The question is...

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY DECENT (affordable to a student!) NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES THAT CAN BLOCK OUT LOW PITCH NOISES??

I cannot take it anymore. I'm a very considerate person and I'm very close to reporting him for the illegal item he has in his room (that way nobody can say it was me, other people know and other people find him a bit of a twunt too). Sinking to his level is low and it wouldn't bother him

I just wanna get along and if that means having to get ear defense mechanisms I'm fine with that, I just wanna get rid of these low pitch noises. Some sounds make me wanna cry.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-11, 04:11 PM
Bezuidenthustra's Avatar
Bezuidenthustra Bezuidenthustra is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 714
Blog Entries: 9
Thanks: 243
Thanked 537 Times in 315 Posts
Bezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to all
Re: I really need some help - Low pitch noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiePlumber View Post
I am getting so fed up with my flatmate. All the time he is playing games or on the computer and I can hear all the low pitch noises and it drives me insane. Right now (and this isn't the only time I've had to do this) I've had to resort to a combination of in ear headphones (which hurt my ears when pressed in like this), cotton wool, white tack and then more cotton wool and ear defenders that my brother's school use to help with the autistic children when it gets a bit chaotic for them.

And sometimes I don't wanna listen to music up loud with my earphones pressed in.

1. He won't turn it low enough. If he turns it quiet enough it's still at a decent level, but the bass still gets in. We've been through this before. Then the next day it's back up loud again

2. This guy plays the electric guitar, and shooting games. On top of that he has a very audible annoying laugh that makes me wanna strangle him every time I hear it.

3. I don't wanna move out. I have been here ages and don't wanna have to get to know new people again, they've already set up their groups and probably wouldn't let people in, I'm not an instantly likeable person.

4. I can't tell on him for it, he'll know it's me as the guy on the other side doesn't care. It probably doesn't bother him as much as he's NT.

5. Ear defenders on their own do worse. They block out the regular pitch noises but bass pitch noises and lower are just echoed.

6. Music up loud jammed in my ears and white tack and cotton wool and ear defenders works to a degree, but I can't wear my glasses properly and it hurts my ears

7. I can't wear in-ear earplugs as well as normal, as I have a lot of piercings in that area of my ear. (2 or 3 on each that affect the way I wear earphones on both)


The question is...

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY DECENT (affordable to a student!) NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES THAT CAN BLOCK OUT LOW PITCH NOISES??

I cannot take it anymore. I'm a very considerate person and I'm very close to reporting him for the illegal item he has in his room (that way nobody can say it was me, other people know and other people find him a bit of a twunt too). Sinking to his level is low and it wouldn't bother him

I just wanna get along and if that means having to get ear defense mechanisms I'm fine with that, I just wanna get rid of these low pitch noises. Some sounds make me wanna cry.
I have bad news for you. Noise canceling headphones generally suck. They're fairly ineffective as a norm - the only ones that seem to work well are fairly expensive (JVC has a decent model, as does Sennheiser, but those are the only two I could actually test hands-on when I went shopping). They're not too bad for shutting out a consistent drone, but anything that fluctuates - such as a guitar bassline - breaks through from time to time.

I'm surprised your in-ears don't work. What make/model do you have? Even "cheap" Shures should easily seal and block out bass at minimal levels. I've worn my Shures next to the speakers at a punk show with my mp3 player at normal volume (as a joke) and I could barely make out any outside sound. And that's at 90-100 dB. And there are better/more affordable alternatives to Shures that form a similar seal.

My ears also hurt at first, but I discovered that I was just using the wrong size earbud. Shures are nice because they sell foam inserts that conform to the shape of your ear. They hurt after 3-4 hours, but until then they're pretty comfortable.

For what it's worth, I understand your frustration. I used to live with a couple of musicians/choir geeks. They were always singing, playing instruments, or bringing friends over to do the same. And it wasn't like they were playing/singing anything I liked, either. And they'd do it at night when I was trying to sleep. I had a hard time explaining to them that, even if they're just talking and it comes through the vents, my brain immediately seizes on the distraction and it's impossible to sleep.

On a related note, I hate when people whisper nearby. I can't force myself to ignore it, and of course I can't make out what's being said, so I get incredibly irritable. I HATE HATE HATE whispering. HATE.
__________________


Writer and general kook with ADHD, OCD, TS, depression, and monkey arms. I regularly blog about those things. I also write other fun stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-11, 04:15 PM
LaVieEnRose LaVieEnRose is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 1,661
Thanks: 3,919
Thanked 2,071 Times in 931 Posts
LaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant future
Re: I really need some help - Low pitch noises

Hey Pixie, this situation *sounds* awful! Hehe ahh, I kill myself. But seriously, I sympathize. I'm very sensitive to noise too.. and a bad laugh? The worst!

Have you tried a white noise generator? I'm not aware of headphones, but that would be something relatively inexpensive to drown out the noise. Also, a fan could help.. but then it is winter time. Could he wear headphones at least while playing on his computer?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 01-28-11, 04:36 PM
PixiePlumber's Avatar
PixiePlumber PixiePlumber is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 521
Blog Entries: 34
Thanks: 21
Thanked 330 Times in 212 Posts
PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice
Re: I really need some help - Low pitch noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVieEnRose View Post
Hey Pixie, this situation *sounds* awful! Hehe ahh, I kill myself. But seriously, I sympathize. I'm very sensitive to noise too.. and a bad laugh? The worst!

Have you tried a white noise generator? I'm not aware of headphones, but that would be something relatively inexpensive to drown out the noise. Also, a fan could help.. but then it is winter time. Could he wear headphones at least while playing on his computer?
I've tried that I believe (well, playing white, pink/red and brown noise in through my earphones while wearing ear defenders)

But I'll try again when he starts being loud again. I've improved it by taking out the foam of them (it doesn't matter, they were cheap and not working so IDC) and filling the gap with cotton wool (As I assume the air was echoing the bass noises...)

If not, it's buy some speakers, take the cotton wool and tape off the hole in the wall that makes in worse, then play the mosquito noise loudly through it at weird times. I can reduce the horror it brings with my ear defenders, if he has normal hearing for his age (I'd be surprised tbh, but it's worth a shot) he'll be driven slowly insane like I have :P

then I grass him up for his illegal items XD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-11, 04:45 PM
PixiePlumber's Avatar
PixiePlumber PixiePlumber is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 521
Blog Entries: 34
Thanks: 21
Thanked 330 Times in 212 Posts
PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice
Re: I really need some help - Low pitch noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezuidenthustra View Post
I have bad news for you. Noise canceling headphones generally suck. They're fairly ineffective as a norm - the only ones that seem to work well are fairly expensive (JVC has a decent model, as does Sennheiser, but those are the only two I could actually test hands-on when I went shopping). They're not too bad for shutting out a consistent drone, but anything that fluctuates - such as a guitar bassline - breaks through from time to time.

I'm surprised your in-ears don't work. What make/model do you have? Even "cheap" Shures should easily seal and block out bass at minimal levels. I've worn my Shures next to the speakers at a punk show with my mp3 player at normal volume (as a joke) and I could barely make out any outside sound. And that's at 90-100 dB. And there are better/more affordable alternatives to Shures that form a similar seal.

My ears also hurt at first, but I discovered that I was just using the wrong size earbud. Shures are nice because they sell foam inserts that conform to the shape of your ear. They hurt after 3-4 hours, but until then they're pretty comfortable.

For what it's worth, I understand your frustration. I used to live with a couple of musicians/choir geeks. They were always singing, playing instruments, or bringing friends over to do the same. And it wasn't like they were playing/singing anything I liked, either. And they'd do it at night when I was trying to sleep. I had a hard time explaining to them that, even if they're just talking and it comes through the vents, my brain immediately seizes on the distraction and it's impossible to sleep.

On a related note, I hate when people whisper nearby. I can't force myself to ignore it, and of course I can't make out what's being said, so I get incredibly irritable. I HATE HATE HATE whispering. HATE.
I didn't say I have in ears. I was just talking about my headphones not earplugs.

I can't wear in ear earplugs due to the piercings I have on both ears. I can wear them if I take them out but I can't leave them out that long, and they still don't block out enough bass to not wanna chew my arms off.

It's not like I'm even an inconsiderate person. I rarely have my laptop on without earbuds and only once have I been loud at night, and then by the time my friend and I got to sleep he was still up anyway.

I have even said that he can play his guitar as loud as he wants so long as he keeps the bass down. He is so inconsiderate.

All my flatmates are to be honest. None of them are clean (especially the loud one) and all of them blame the others (especially the loud one!) and they all take up most of the fridge and freezer space and the kitchen is sticky and covered in food, then loud flatmate thinks he has the right to comment that I only want to eat cheese for dinner or that I don't like touching other people's dishes or even my own if I haven't used them.

The flatmate who stays quiet has all his friends over and hogs the kitchen a lot and they like to scream every now and again and have annoying laughs, but all of my flatmates do.

This is what I get for living with three boys.

And when loud flatmate isn't in, the one with the wall penetrating voice is singing. I can hear him from his room, both doors closed, 20 feet down the corridor, with two rooms between us.

But I can actually learn to live with all that. It's the bass noises that make me wanna get that guy arrested.

though I could take up recorder again and practise every morning, or just on mornings he doesn't have to sleep in :P

Or ocarina?

*lots of ranting*
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-11, 05:34 PM
PixiePlumber's Avatar
PixiePlumber PixiePlumber is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 521
Blog Entries: 34
Thanks: 21
Thanked 330 Times in 212 Posts
PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice
Re: I really need some help - Low pitch noises

And triple post time.

I think I've partially cracked it.

Brown noise (not the thing that apparently makes you lose control of your bowel to say it politely), up loud, with the cotton wool modded ear defenders and earphones underneath.

It's not ideal, but it's close
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-11, 06:02 PM
ronball ronball is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 277
Thanked 595 Times in 250 Posts
ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of
Re: I really need some help - Low pitch noises

Have him sound proof his room, or yours.

Get thick curtains, put it around the perimeter of the room, but they cant be touching the walls. They need to be .30m at least away from the wall (or around 1 foot). Old egg cartons also have sound absorbing abilities. They can be stapled onto the celing, and the walls behind the curtains. Those two things can significantly reduce the sound coming out of his room.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-11, 06:43 PM
ideaman ideaman is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 261
Thanks: 30
Thanked 90 Times in 60 Posts
ideaman has a spectacular aura aboutideaman has a spectacular aura about
Re: I really need some help - Low pitch noises

Horrible situation. I'd leave. It doesn't seem like you're enjoying your current roommates anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fatigue, Motivation still very low. Help Please ralnajjar General Medication Discussion 8 01-05-10 11:35 AM
Low body fat/weight interaction with amp.? gabrielt Adderall 2 10-24-09 04:19 PM
Long term strattera users - low grade fever? CK302 Strattera 0 10-20-09 06:06 PM
Repetitive or annoying noises... Xeon General ADD Talk 11 05-22-09 09:05 AM
question about sleeping through CERTAIN noises johnny s. Sleeping 5 03-30-09 06:57 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums