ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-18, 01:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,956 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Do you guys think virtual reality can help reduce depression?

Here's a study that showed really positive results. Though the sampling size was extremely small so I'd say it is not conclusive.

Do you guys think just playing VR games alone could help someone with depression? Other studies have shown that it helps reduce physical pain experienced in hospital patients - so why not mental pain.

I've got a friend who's dad is in a mental institution (long term) right now cause he was suicidal. I can't set up a game/program that mimics the one used in the below linked study. But the games can make you feel like a hero (you see the crowd cheering after you win) possibly improving self-esteem, give you social contact if you need it cause many games are multi-player and it's like you are talking to them in person almost, and take you away from your current world for a while as it's really like a cartoon world.

Tempted to offer to loan my headset to my friend's dad but I'm afraid it might be a complete failure. Normally, I say try and if it doesn't work, try again but I think that wears down people with depression.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-artic...eat-depression

Patients in the study wore a virtual reality headset to see from the perspective of a life-size ‘avatar’ or virtual body. Seeing this virtual body in a mirror moving in the same way as their own body typically produces the illusion that this is their own body. This is called ‘embodiment’.
While embodied in an adult avatar, participants were trained to express compassion towards a distressed virtual child. As they talked to the child it appeared to gradually stop crying and respond positively to the compassion. After a few minutes the patients were embodied in the virtual child and saw the adult avatar deliver their own compassionate words and gestures to them. This brief 8-minute scenario was repeated three times at weekly intervals, and patients were followed up a month later.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-13-18)
Old 07-16-18, 01:30 AM

ryanolivas is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you guys think virtual reality can help reduce depression?

Yeah, There are a lot of people relying on virtual reality apps or games or even devices. It reduces their stress level.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryanolivas For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (07-16-18)
Old 07-16-18, 01:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,648 Times in 14,609 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know why but VR scares the S*it out of me.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (07-16-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-18, 10:41 PM

Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,956 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I dont know why but VR scares the S*it out of me.
It scares the crap out of me too. I'm afraid of the jobs it might take away, the house values it might plummet. But it's so darn fun.

And zombies, escape rooms, etc. are very scary in virtual reality. Too scary for me so I avoid. Sitting in outer space and staring at Saturns rings, absolutely gorgeous.
Old 07-29-18, 10:14 AM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

Gameing its self can help also vr and high levels of vitamins will to dorm
acdc01 (08-15-18)