ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 05-26-05, 03:24 PM

Titanica is on a distinguished road
Question If you take meds, how do you explain/defend this decision to others?

I will be seeing a psych in about 2 weeks to discuss the possibility of me having ADD. The more I read, the more convinced I am this is me!

Anyway, I am not opposed to meds, understanding the basics of brain chemistry and all (I have a psych degree and my husband has depression and generalized anxiety disorder). I know some don't take them and that is totally cool if it works for them.

But every person I have discussed this with is like "meds are not the way to go" and "there are other ways of controlling ADD without meds." and they don't know a thing about ADD! Or they tell me only part of what a doc said on TV and I research it and find out they left out the statments by the doctor about how taking meds in conjuction with exercise/nutrition is a beneficial approach.

I am not thinking the meds will be the end all/be all of my ADD but I am anticipating that they may possibly help in a significant way.

but with everyone jumping on me (my husband supports meds as part of my approach)..how do you explain to people that medication is a valid and legitimate approach to treating ADD?

Does anyone else feel like they have to defend themselves when they say they take meds?
Old 05-26-05, 04:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
You simply don't tell them. I have only told my wife and 2 closest friends that I believe I have adhd. ADHD is a very complex disorder to understand. There are better things in life to do then educate people who have their own "opinions" and are not open to new information.
Old 05-26-05, 04:08 PM

Tangerine is on a distinguished road
One evening, I was at the bar with some friends. Low and behold, my roommate from five years ago walks that I haven't seen in ages.

We get to talking and I tell her about my new diagnosis, believing that she will be understanding.

She completely freaks out on me. I won't post what she said, but in a nutshell, she said that ADD is a made up disorder and people only "claim" to have it so they can get their hands on stimulants.

Floored, I ended the conversation and left her alone.

I was shocked and hurt that someone I considered to be a such a good friend could make me feel like I was doing something wrong even though she was speaking out of ignorance.

I could see how she could be concerned, as one of our mutual friends does do exactly that which gives us true ADDer's a bad name. And I can see why she would be so adamant on the subject, but I should not have to defend myself to anyone. Especially not a best friend.

It's ignorance that creates these negative viewpoints that we must put up with. America is simply not well enough educated on mental disorders to understand what we're going through.

I believe medication IS a valid and legitimate approach to treating ADD. I know this because I have ADD and I've done my homework (to an extent). Medication helps me function in a world where non-functioning human beings fall by the wayside.

There are other ways of treating ADD, if you have the insurance/time/money to go through that whole process. I encourage people to try holistic remedies in combination with behavioral therapy and couseling before jumping into medication. The medication used to treat ADD has been proven effective time after time.

We're talking about improving the quality of life here. Let's take a vote. How many people are currently taking medication to treat their ADD that have not seen an improvement in their quality of life as a result of the eliimination/lessening of ADD symptoms?

Well, I'm going off on a tangent here. In answer to your original question, yes, I defend myself on a regular basis when it comes to treating my disorder with medication.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tangerine For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (03-06-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 05:25 PM
Contributor

Fly Away is on a distinguished road
..how do you explain to people that medication is a valid and legitimate approach to treating ADD?

Does anyone else feel like they have to defend themselves when they say they take meds?[/quote]
I don't feel the need to defend what medicine i do or don't take. I don't think its anyone's business. I tell very few people- not because I am ashamed or embarassed but because I don't talk to them about ANY medicine I take. Its really between my h, my doc and me what I take and why. If I do tell them I have a pretty good idea beforehand that they would be supportive of whatever I do.
Old 05-26-05, 05:37 PM

Location: In a cynical state of mind where mankind fails to impress
FightingBoredom will become famous soon enough
I have 2 points to make:

1. Meds AREN'T the end all solution just an aid to making life work more consistently for you.

2. If you had AIDS or Lukemia or any of the thousand other possible ilnesses that require medical treatment would you EVER consider the opinions of your friends or any other unsupporting person? Announcing you have ADD isn't necessary unless you want to use it as an excuse to be a failure. Just like you wouldn't walk around telling everyone you know if you had AIDS. Your husband should support whatever rational choice you make to better your life. Everyone else can just STEP OFF!

I don't ever feel the need to defend myself bc most people give their opinion with little or no actual REAL information about the issue.
our "higher" selves.
I just hope I can remember that I came to this realization!

And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!

Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
Old 05-26-05, 08:39 PM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Nope I consider all forms of medicine a personal choice and you do not need to justify why have or have not chosen meds. Its your body, your choice no one else's and they can mind their own bodies. This topic makes me cranky, sorry.

Do what is right for you not for everyone else.

Great big hugs,
Cherity
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 05-27-05, 12:18 AM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
There are a lot of people who manage ADD Without taking medication. This might or night not be right for you. You need to work with your doctor to find the approach that is best for you.

I am on medication, but I'd sure like to be off of meds if I could. There are some health reasons for not being on meds in the long run. But if your ADD is very hard for you to manage you may elect to stay on medication.

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanica
I will be seeing a psych in about 2 weeks to discuss the possibility of me having ADD. The more I read, the more convinced I am this is me!

Anyway, I am not opposed to meds, understanding the basics of brain chemistry and all (I have a psych degree and my husband has depression and generalized anxiety disorder). I know some don't take them and that is totally cool if it works for them.

But every person I have discussed this with is like "meds are not the way to go" and "there are other ways of controlling ADD without meds." and they don't know a thing about ADD! Or they tell me only part of what a doc said on TV and I research it and find out they left out the statments by the doctor about how taking meds in conjuction with exercise/nutrition is a beneficial approach.

I am not thinking the meds will be the end all/be all of my ADD but I am anticipating that they may possibly help in a significant way.

but with everyone jumping on me (my husband supports meds as part of my approach)..how do you explain to people that medication is a valid and legitimate approach to treating ADD?

Does anyone else feel like they have to defend themselves when they say they take meds?
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
The Following User Says Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (11-07-12)
Old 05-27-05, 12:43 AM

ProcrastN8R is on a distinguished road
You might draw the analogy to wearing glasses. When someone suggests you try to get by without meds, ask them if you needed glasses, should you try to get by without them?

Or when someone asks you when are you going to give up meds, ask if you should give up your glasses also.

Why this is such an issue for people is beyond me. I am sure there are some people who have physiological/biological/psychological reasons why they cannot take a drug, but lots of people seem to think it is some kind of moral decision.
Old 05-27-05, 12:52 AM

ProcrastN8R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingBoredom
IAnnouncing you have ADD isn't necessary unless you want to use it as an excuse to be a failure.
I think that it may be very necessary to let at least some people know about your ADD. I haven't told anyone beyond my husband and few family members. But, I need some support and some feedback on what is happening to me. I won't get that without talking to people about it.

Also, what if your talking about ADD helps someone who didn't know what ADD was and discovers through your experience that they have it too? This will be particularly likely among family members. I am 39 years old and have just been diagnosed. I wish I had known someone else with it a long time ago.

Finally, ADD shouldn't be some deep, dark secret. What message would that send to your (possibly) ADD kids? What does that do to your own psyche?

I don't think announcing your ADD is making an excuse for failure. If anything, it is an admission of strength. It takes some courage to get help and stop hiding your problems.

Wow, I sound like an expert, and haven't even been diagnosed a month yet!

I have been doing a lot of reading though, and thinking. I may get the courage to be more public about my disorder in the future. I hope so.
Old 05-27-05, 02:21 AM
Contributor

herekittykitty is on a distinguished road
When I told good friends here I take meds, they freaked. So now I tell them I take medicine for headaches or sinuses or something vague like that. And everyone's happy.

I don't feel comfortable 'outing' myself because of all of the ignorance/ill-will etc. surrounding ADD. It's lousy to be sure, but it isn't life-threatening, so making a big pronouncement, to people who don't understand and won't know how to respond or help, seems ineffective to me.

So I make it easy on folks. I say to my boss, for example, "I don't know how to use Microsoft Outlook. I don't know how to organize and create folders. I'm not good at filing."

I tell my friends, "just tell me to be there 30 minutes before you want me to be there. Yes, I've been to that bar 10 times, but give me a map again anyway."

After they pick their jaws up off the floor, amazed that someone doesn't have these basic skills, they tell me how to do something, or give me the map, or whatever.

I think my presence alone is going a long way towards educating (subtly!) folks about ADD. I just dish it out in small, easy-to-swallow dosages...
Old 05-27-05, 09:44 AM

bricktop is on a distinguished road
Wow, if I had "friends" like yours then I would ask myself if they really were my friends. When I found out I had ADD, everyone knew. Everyone knew because when I was diagnosed bipolar and had to come home from college somehow everyone in my highschool community knew about it. So all my friends away at college came back for the summer and they said stuff like, "I thought you had died!", and "I heard you had a brain anyurism." I had to explain it to them and they were totally cool with it, I have not talked to anyone yet that got freaked out. My girlfriend didn't even bat an eyelash, she always knew I was ADD. I have even told my Calc. 2 professor (a summer class) about it and she is helping me out big time with where and how I take the test. Other people arn't you so how would they know what is best for you?
Old 05-27-05, 11:59 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gourmet is on a distinguished road
My friends have been very supportive and even glad that I am getting some treatment. They are as happy as I am that I have an awareness of my ADD. Some of them I tell that I take meds as a treatment option and I have never had anyone see this as a negative thing.

I think that if I did have that reaction to my diagnosis, I would have to tell them how insensitive they are being. That medicine is a viable form of treatment and that they would understand if they were better educated about ADD.

I am sorry your friend had that reaction. She is misiinfomed and insensitive to something that is affecting your life. You should not have to explain or defend anything.
Old 05-27-05, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProcrastN8R
I think that it may be very necessary to let at least some people know about your ADD. I haven't told anyone beyond my husband and few family members. But, I need some support and some feedback on what is happening to me. I won't get that without talking to people about it.

Also, what if your talking about ADD helps someone who didn't know what ADD was and discovers through your experience that they have it too? This will be particularly likely among family members. I am 39 years old and have just been diagnosed. I wish I had known someone else with it a long time ago.

Finally, ADD shouldn't be some deep, dark secret. What message would that send to your (possibly) ADD kids? What does that do to your own psyche?

I don't think announcing your ADD is making an excuse for failure. If anything, it is an admission of strength. It takes some courage to get help and stop hiding your problems.

Wow, I sound like an expert, and haven't even been diagnosed a month yet!

I have been doing a lot of reading though, and thinking. I may get the courage to be more public about my disorder in the future. I hope so.
I didn't mean to NOT tell anyone. Just don't make it a public domain topic. The people in your support system (immediate family, GOOD friends, etc.) should know.
But telling the whole world and listening to their opinions is just like you said: asking someone (IMO, who doesn't really know you) whether or not you should wear glasses.

I have experience with telling the mildly UNINFORMED about having ADD. It didn't help me, my situation, or my psyche.

Even my wife, who suggested that I get diagnosed, doesn't get it. She won't try to further her knowledge of ADD unless Dr. Phil_head does a show on it.
So, even telling your closest friends may or may not do you any good.
Get professional help? Yes, lots of it. Asking other people without ADD to TRULY understand and support you in making your life work better? That's like expecting someone with 20/20 vision to understand what it's like to wake up every morning and be blind.

I guess you can sort of understand what it's like to be blind: just walk around a strangers house in the middle of the night.

Being non-ADD and truly understanding what it's like for someone with ADD? Priceles
our "higher" selves.

And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!

Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
Old 05-27-05, 12:28 PM
Contributor

herekittykitty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop
Wow, if I had "friends" like yours then I would ask myself if they really were my friends. When I found out I had ADD, everyone knew...I had to explain it to them and they were totally cool with it, I have not talked to anyone yet that got freaked out. My girlfriend didn't even bat an eyelash, she always knew I was ADD. I have even told my Calc. 2 professor (a summer class) about it and she is helping me out big time with where and how I take the test. Other people arn't you so how would they know what is best for you?
Hey bricktop,

I should have explained that a bit. My friends/family in the US are fine with it. But here in Japan, there's very little knowledge about ADD, and the idea of taking meds for anything still conjures up really scary images for people here. (there are people--loads of people--who take antidepressants, but they tell NO ONE, so the ignorance continues.)

I tried to explain about ADD, and how the meds help, that I'm not suicidal etc., but they just get all teary-eyed and wring their hands and assure me that all I need to do is pull myself up by my bootstraps, etc. etc. etc.

And as much as I'd like to get folks to understand, sometimes I don't have the strength to keep banging my head against the wall, so I opt to stay on meds, but not share the fact.
Old 05-27-05, 12:31 PM

herekittykitty, your meds are obviously working better than mine! I couldn't have said it ANY better....and that's the point I was trying to make about "beating my head against the wall."

Now I'm curious, what meds are you on?
our "higher" selves.