ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 12-25-19, 07:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,153 Times in 15,377 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
When did you start Peri-menopause?

I was told that is what is going on with me. Skipping periods and horrible hot flashes, sweating and insomnia. I saw my gyn when I was 40 and had a mammo and he even did bloodwork and a uterine biopsy. No indication of official menopause so we went with the idea of it being peri. I didnt go back and now I am 44 and he isnt covered under my insurance plus I am sick of men telling me about my vagina and lady parts. I made an appt at the office I took my daughter to. She is a midwife and I see her in January. I am hoping for a low dose birth control pill. My mom started menopause in her 40's and she said the pill helped her immensely.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (Yesterday), Lunacie (12-25-19)
Old 12-25-19, 12:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,212 Times in 12,688 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When did you start Peri-menopause?

Yeah, perimenopause popped me a good one in my early 40's as well.
Not surprising since my menses started at age 9.
My PCP at the time wouldn't even do any bloodwork because I was "too young"
according to him.

I actually used plant-based hormone cream because I knew of cancer risk in
my family. I didn't have hot flashes until I hit actual menopause at age 49.

My daughter is 47 and has been peri-menopausing for at least 2 years, but
wouldn't admit it to herself until about 6 months ago.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 12-31-19, 12:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,196 Times in 2,166 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: When did you start Peri-menopause?

I think a lot of women go into peri at this age.

I'm 45. Tbh, I'm not sure if I'm in peri or not. I have woken up sweaty before on some occassion but I did that even in my 30s and it is actually less common than common.
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
A Few Other (Topical) Options....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
... I am hoping for a low dose birth control pill. My mom started menopause in her 40's and she said the pill helped her immensely....
From what I read, these low-dose birth control pills containing 20 mcg or less of estrogen are very good for relieving bothersome perimenopause symptoms of hot flashes, etc. And it appears they contain the ethanyl estradiol form of estrogen, which is a form least associated with breast cancer, heart disease, blood clots and stroke (especially compared with the "conjugated equine estrogen" "horse pills" used in the infamous Women's Health Initiative study).

It is probably worth doing a little research on this to know your full range of options.

I personally prefer topical meds wherever possible because they are slightly (maybe even significantly) easier on the liver, since they avoid the "first pass" through your digestive system and therefore require lower dosages (in my experience 20-50% lower) to achieve the same blood concentrations.

I don't really remember much of a peri-menopausal lead-up, and because I'm always cold anyway, hot flashes were not much of a bother, either...I could just drink a few sips of cold water and feel fine. My worst menopausal problems were painful intercourse due to vaginal atrophy, and intolerable brain fog and low energy on top of my ADHD. Hormone replacement therapy greatly relieved these issues.

So, FWIW, my post-menopause hormone replacement topical cocktail consists of:
1) 1.25g. Estrogel .06% estradiol 17B topical gel (which I think works out to 7.5mcg of estradiol per pump; this is half the recommended dose so I would take more for bothersome hot flashes)
2) 100 mg progesterone oral pill which I take as a vaginal suppository (this is 50% of the usual oral dose). I take this at night for better sleep, the others in the morning.
3) 2mg 4% compounded testosterone cream (this also is half the recommended dose), gives me more energy and motivation besides ever-so-slight ability to build muscle.
BTW almost anything that comes in a pill can be custom compounded (by a compounding pharmacy) to be applied in some kind of topical format (cream, gel, suppository, patch, etc.). It helps if your doc is open to the idea and available to consult with the pharmacist (who may also consult with the manufacturer to come up with the best concentration and delivery method to achieve the effective dose prescribed by your doc).

Good luck.

Last edited by 20thcenturyfox; Yesterday at 02:28 PM..
Old Today, 08:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,153 Times in 15,377 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Few Other (Topical) Options....

Thanks for this! So I had my annual with the new midwife. TBH it has been about 4 years. Anyway I really like her and she spent a lot of time talking with me. She ordered bloodwork which I had done in the office and I have to schedule a mammogram. She is having me come back in two weeks to meet with one of the doctor's at the practice to discuss my options. Once the doctor and I work something out that works, the midwife is allowed to prescribe and monitor me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
From what I read, these low-dose birth control pills containing 20 mcg or less of estrogen are very good for relieving bothersome perimenopause symptoms of hot flashes, etc. And it appears they contain the ethanyl estradiol form of estrogen, which is a form least associated with breast cancer, heart disease, blood clots and stroke (especially compared with the "conjugated equine estrogen" "horse pills" used in the infamous Women's Health Initiative study).

It is probably worth doing a little research on this to know your full range of options.

I personally prefer topical meds wherever possible because they are slightly (maybe even significantly) easier on the liver, since they avoid the "first pass" through your digestive system and therefore require lower dosages (in my experience 20-50% lower) to achieve the same blood concentrations.

I don't really remember much of a peri-menopausal lead-up, and because I'm always cold anyway, hot flashes were not much of a bother, either...I could just drink a few sips of cold water and feel fine. My worst menopausal problems were painful intercourse due to vaginal atrophy, and intolerable brain fog and low energy on top of my ADHD. Hormone replacement therapy greatly relieved these issues.

So, FWIW, my post-menopause hormone replacement topical cocktail consists of:
1) 1.25g. Estrogel .06% estradiol 17B topical gel (which I think works out to 7.5mcg of estradiol per pump; this is half the recommended dose so I would take more for bothersome hot flashes)
2) 100 mg progesterone oral pill which I take as a vaginal suppository (this is 50% of the usual oral dose). I take this at night for better sleep, the others in the morning.
3) 2mg 4% compounded testosterone cream (this also is half the recommended dose), gives me more energy and motivation besides ever-so-slight ability to build muscle.
BTW almost anything that comes in a pill can be custom compounded (by a compounding pharmacy) to be applied in some kind of topical format (cream, gel, suppository, patch, etc.). It helps if your doc is open to the idea and available to consult with the pharmacist (who may also consult with the manufacturer to come up with the best concentration and delivery method to achieve the effective dose prescribed by your doc).

Good luck.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (Today), Lunacie (Today)