ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-19, 02:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all
Do you feel like your floating/ or floating back and forth when sitting still?

I have POTS but I was wondering if it was a spacey thing too? I can’t really remember if I used to be like that or not. I’m pretty much always spacey tho.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
Old 01-02-20, 04:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do you feel like your floating/ or floating back and forth when sitting still?

I rarely feel like that and when I do, it's not when I am sitting still. Instead, it's when I laid down face-up on my bed after I was rafting/tubing at a river or exploring the sea.
Old 01-03-20, 11:09 AM

Thanked 6,310 Times in 2,982 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you feel like your floating/ or floating back and forth when sitting still?

This syndrome is called Mal De Debarquement syndrome.
It is not terribly well understood.
It often happens after boat travel, but sometimes comes on without an obvious trigger.
If it is mild it usualluy settles spontaneously.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-04-20), namazu (01-03-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-20, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
It often happens after boat travel, but sometimes comes on without an obvious trigger.
Glad to see that it is something normal.
Old 01-04-20, 01:57 AM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

Call me crazy but I think maybe if we try to force ourselves to focus when we can’t, might see weird things like that. Things get blurry around words for me or
Or the letters do funny things for me. If I was doing homework it wouldn’t happen, but my self motivation is shot
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
Old 01-05-20, 01:47 AM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
Glad to see that it is something normal.
The mild form, which may come on after boat travel and last a couple of days, is effectively a normal variant.
More sever forms can go on for decades and be very disabling
See link:

https://www.dizziness-and-balance.co...ntral/mdd.html

I do think that proneness to travel sickness, vertigo and MdDS imply functional problems in the vestibular system-- which often also generates symptoms of ADHD.

As I have discussed I have seen a very strong association between ADHD and upper neck problems (which go by various names- upper cervical subluxation, craniocervical instability etc)

Ive only just encountered firm information that explains the link:

When the upper neck bones are malrotated (say to the right) that generates issues with excess proprioceptive information on the right, and understimultion to the left.

these signals then go via the cerebellum and into the oculomotor parts on the midbrain and the vestibular nucleus (overlapping the pontomedullary junction in the brain stem).

So we have a distorted information pattern L to R and that pattern does not match in either the vestibular nuclei or the oculomotor areas.

The vestibular nucleus problem can can cause imbalance, or sea sickness, or Mal De Debarquement syndrome, and probably has a part in tinnitus, and Migraine.

The oculomotor part can cause trouble with reading and focus. That is often treated by optometrists as binocular vision disorder, or convergence disorder.
Ive actually spoken to one of the doctors here- who agreed that you would be likely to call the problem BVD if you were an eye doctor or ADHD if you were a psychiatrist. There is no symptomatic difference between the two- just a difference of emphasis.

Often there is not a recalled memory of head injury- as it seemed minor at the time.

So here is some of the symptom list for BVD:

Quote:
  • reading symptoms such as difficulty with concentration (symptoms are similar to those experienced with ADHD), difficulty with reading and comprehension, skipping lines while reading, losing one’s place while reading, words running together while reading (symptoms similar to those seen in someone with a learning disability);
  • vision symptoms such as blurred vision, double or overlapping vision, shadowed vision (symptoms similar to those seen in patients with MS); light sensitivity, difficulty with glare or reflection;

Additional vestibular symptoms such as motion sickness, nausea, poor depth perception, unsteadiness while walking or drifting to one side while walking (“I’ve always been clumsy”), lack of coordination (symptoms are similar to those seen in patients with MS, sequelae of a stroke, an inner ear disorder or Meniere’s Disease);

psychological symptoms such as feeling overwhelmed or anxious when in large contained spaces like malls or big box stores, feeling overwhelmed or anxious in crowds (symptoms similar to those seen in patients with anxiety or agoraphobia).

pain symptoms such as headache, face ache, eye pain or pain with eye movement (symptoms similar to sinus problems, migraines, TMJ problems); neck ache and upper back pain due to a head tilt (similar to spinal misalignment symptoms);

Very interesting.
My take on it is that the visual problems are a downstream effect of the upper neck issues (I will post on that- but that is a lot of work to get all that nailed down and be sure I haven't missed an important detail

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 01-05-20, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
Call me crazy but I think maybe if we try to force ourselves to focus when we can’t, might see weird things like that. Things get blurry around words for me or
Or the letters do funny things for me. If I was doing homework it wouldn’t happen, but my self motivation is shot

See my last post (6).
The visual symptoms described there of great interest.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-05-20)