ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-11-09, 11:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

Chelsea17 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and Amitriptyline (Elavil)

I take Elavil for my ADHD, it really has calmed me A LOT. I am on 60 mg, 25 mg in the morning and 35 mg at night. It did make me very sleepy in the beginning but now not as much. Since I take it during the day as well, it does NOT make me sleep. It helps to take the edge of my anxiety too.
Hyperman87 (04-27-14)
Old 09-25-09, 09:11 PM

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Now I'm curious to see if others were given special "warning" by their pharmacist when getting Adderall and amitriptyline...I just switched from Adderall IR (total of 70mg/day) to a combo of Adderall XR (30mg, 1x a day), WellbutrinXR (150mg, 1x a day) and Amitriptyline (25mg, bedtime) and the pharmacist made sure to talk to me as well as to write on each bottle not to take the Amitriptyline within 10 hours of the Adderall....did anyone else get this?
Old 04-11-13, 04:59 PM

Bmilan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm tying it to the amitriptyline - and I may be wrong - because the first day that I take Adderall everything's grand. When I take amitriptyline at night, Adderall the next day doesn't function as well. I take all of my morning med's with Adderall that first day and it's fine. It's after taking my night meds that I see a problem.
I have been taking Adderall for over a year now, and I started taking Elavil, (amitriptyline hcl) myself, and I have to say I have also noticed a reduction in the effectiveness of not only my Adderall, but my Hydrocodone as well. (when I do take it)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-14, 04:14 AM

M4Pharm is on a distinguished road

In a lack of effort to read every single post about amitriptyline and Adderall, here's the deal. For starters, amitriptyline acts as a substrate for CYP2D6 within the liver reducing it's ability to convert one of the two compounds of adderall into it's active form (4-hydroxy-norephedrine). What this means is you get one very active metabolite of adderall and another that must wait for the amitriptyline to dissociate to become active. The reason some may or may not experience a difference with amitriptyline including headaches likely depends on the dose or binding affinity of ami or addi (which idk) but may be do to other drugs acting as inhibitors or in synergy with this combo. Both drugs increase serotonin levels and can lead to serotonin syndrome, potentially deadly.

To the other post, a decreased hydrocodone effect could be due to fact that it is partly metabolized by the liver enzyme 2D6 to be converted to the stronger analgesic, hydromorphone. Amitriptyline taken at the same time will compete for this reaction and prevent it from happening to your usual degree with hydrocodone.

And anxiety, amitriptyline has large anticholinergic abilities, making you very sleeping. Since it does not need to bind to CYP enzymes in the liver to become active like the parts of adderall, it may remain free in the plasma longer, unable to convert to its inactive metabolite since adderall is chillen on its receptor. This is 95% fact based and some educated speculation.

Any questions?

Last edited by someothertime; 03-17-14 at 07:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to M4Pharm For This Useful Post:
fredonian (03-06-20)
Old 03-17-14, 02:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nibs91 has a spectacular aura aboutNibs91 has a spectacular aura about

I'm no expert but your amitriptyline seems like a large dose. I started on 25mg for about 2 months, my psych just increased it to 50mg (I am still having issues with anxiety). Only on the first couple of days of the amitriptyline have I experienced a "hangover". The first day it lasted all day but the following days it quickly dissipated.

The amitriptyline is amazing at bringing me to a nice and comfortable sleepy mode; however I still take ambien because it actually leads me to fall asleep (versus just being sleepy).
The Following User Says Thank You to Nibs91 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-27-14)
Old 04-27-14, 02:44 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,316 Times in 642 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

Well, fellow ADHD ladies & gents!

I don't take Adderall & Amitriptyline(Elavil)!

I take Vyvanse(Lisdexamphetamine),Amitriptyline(Elavil), & Nadolol(Corgard) all three for Adult ADHD & additional conditions

I've been on this particular Anti-Hyperkinetic pharmacologic triple-threat for over a year & a half(due to Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder combined-type, Neuropathy,Migraine headaches, & Parkinson disease!)

In terms of the efficacy of this form of ADHD polypharmacy! It works fairly well, much of the time(for me,anyway!)

The Amitriptyline & Nadolol both work to strengthen the Vyvanse & reduce Vyvanse related side-effects(like elevated heart-rate,etc) Additionally, the amitriptyline & Nadolol also act as off-label & second or even third-line ADHD medications in & of themselves.
Old 01-14-20, 11:02 AM

Hennessy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperman87 View Post
Well, fellow ADHD ladies & gents!

I don't take Adderall & Amitriptyline(Elavil)!

I take Vyvanse(Lisdexamphetamine),Amitriptyline(Elavil), & Nadolol(Corgard) all three for Adult ADHD & additional conditions

I've been on this particular Anti-Hyperkinetic pharmacologic triple-threat for over a year & a half(due to Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder combined-type, Neuropathy,Migraine headaches, & Parkinson disease!)

In terms of the efficacy of this form of ADHD polypharmacy! It works fairly well, much of the time(for me,anyway!)

The Amitriptyline & Nadolol both work to strengthen the Vyvanse & reduce Vyvanse related side-effects(like elevated heart-rate,etc) Additionally, the amitriptyline & Nadolol also act as off-label & second or even third-line ADHD medications in & of themselves.
what's your dosage like? i had to come off due to what i suspected was serotonin syndrome but i was on a bit of a cocktail. I've literally not slept for over a year