ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-23-18, 10:50 PM
Jr Member

jonbon21 is on a distinguished road
Strange Dizziness and Balance Issues the Last Few Months

Hey all. This is a long one I have been on adderall a long time and recently I started having some balance / dizzy / lightheaded issues. Back in January I was feeling off (weird head sensations, super dizzy, disconnected feeling) and then a few days later I started feeling quite ill (run down, general sick feeling, really bad head pressure, nausea). I thought I had the flu so I saw a Dr. (not the Dr. prescribing me adderall, he was out of office that week) they tested for the flu virus and nothing. They ordered a blood test for the dizziness and all tested fine. The Dr. said it was most likely a virus and it would pass so I stayed home from work for a few days and started feeling better.

About a week later the dizziness, head pressure, and nausea came back so I went and saw my normal Dr. and he referred me to a neurologist since he couldn't pin point what the issue was. The neurologist had me take an MRI and all tested fine. So I decided to see an ENT before going back to my normal Dr. and I had to take a VNG to test for vertigo and all tested fine once again. The ENT Dr. is having me start physical therapy, take a hearing test, and told me to cut out the booze since I drink a couple light beers each night. Also my blood pressure is normal every Doctors visit so I am all good there.

This dizziness and off balance issue has been going on for 4 months and it sucks. It's about 80% better from January but it just won't go away. There's been times I thought it was gone but it comes back. The head pressure and nausea is less frequent so that's a good thing. I can still go to work and do my job - thank god. I will note that before I took the VNG I had to stop taking adderall for 2 days (been a really long time since I had a break) and I noticed these symptoms didn't bother me much. My head felt clearer and I wasn't dizzy, balance was still a little off though. There also has been times when I have been on adderall and the symptoms didn't bother me as much too.

I don't think the adderall caused this but I do think it might be making the process of feeling normal again take forever! The ENT surprisingly didn't tell me to stop taking adderall but in the paper work it said vasoconstriction can cause dizziness so I am slightly worried I have some circulation issues since I have been on the medication for so long. I started taking it in middle school but only in the morning when I went to school. After I graduated I realized how much the medication improved my life and helped me focus so I started taking it every day. I have been on the medication consistently for 12 years now. I recently just landed my dream job and am very active at work and outside work. I definitely want to keep up my work standards at my job.

On average I take about 30mg a day. 10mg right when I wake up, 10 at lunch, and 10 around 3pm. Sleeping has become more difficult over the last 5 years and I normally take some l-tryptophan and the couple beers I have make falling a sleep easier. I am working on cutting out the booze, which is tough because I do like my beer, and have been taking my afternoon dose no later than 1:30. Within a week or so I should be off the booze, at least during the week. I am stepping down from the alcohol. I have been thinking about talking to my doctor about trying a different medication for my ADD to see what happens. It's strange I would develop a side effect like this if that's what it is. If anyone has had strange head dizzy balance issues with the medication please reply. It seems like I have labyrinthitis but no tests have confirmed that yet.
Old 12-25-19, 07:35 AM

Hennessy is on a distinguished road
Re: Strange Dizziness and Balance Issues the Last Few Months

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbon21 View Post
Hey all. This is a long one I have been on adderall a long time and recently I started having some balance / dizzy / lightheaded issues. Back in January I was feeling off (weird head sensations, super dizzy, disconnected feeling) and then a few days later I started feeling quite ill (run down, general sick feeling, really bad head pressure, nausea). I thought I had the flu so I saw a Dr. (not the Dr. prescribing me adderall, he was out of office that week) they tested for the flu virus and nothing. They ordered a blood test for the dizziness and all tested fine. The Dr. said it was most likely a virus and it would pass so I stayed home from work for a few days and started feeling better.

About a week later the dizziness, head pressure, and nausea came back so I went and saw my normal Dr. and he referred me to a neurologist since he couldn't pin point what the issue was. The neurologist had me take an MRI and all tested fine. So I decided to see an ENT before going back to my normal Dr. and I had to take a VNG to test for vertigo and all tested fine once again. The ENT Dr. is having me start physical therapy, take a hearing test, and told me to cut out the booze since I drink a couple light beers each night. Also my blood pressure is normal every Doctors visit so I am all good there.

This dizziness and off balance issue has been going on for 4 months and it sucks. It's about 80% better from January but it just won't go away. There's been times I thought it was gone but it comes back. The head pressure and nausea is less frequent so that's a good thing. I can still go to work and do my job - thank god. I will note that before I took the VNG I had to stop taking adderall for 2 days (been a really long time since I had a break) and I noticed these symptoms didn't bother me much. My head felt clearer and I wasn't dizzy, balance was still a little off though. There also has been times when I have been on adderall and the symptoms didn't bother me as much too.

I don't think the adderall caused this but I do think it might be making the process of feeling normal again take forever! The ENT surprisingly didn't tell me to stop taking adderall but in the paper work it said vasoconstriction can cause dizziness so I am slightly worried I have some circulation issues since I have been on the medication for so long. I started taking it in middle school but only in the morning when I went to school. After I graduated I realized how much the medication improved my life and helped me focus so I started taking it every day. I have been on the medication consistently for 12 years now. I recently just landed my dream job and am very active at work and outside work. I definitely want to keep up my work standards at my job.

On average I take about 30mg a day. 10mg right when I wake up, 10 at lunch, and 10 around 3pm. Sleeping has become more difficult over the last 5 years and I normally take some l-tryptophan and the couple beers I have make falling a sleep easier. I am working on cutting out the booze, which is tough because I do like my beer, and have been taking my afternoon dose no later than 1:30. Within a week or so I should be off the booze, at least during the week. I am stepping down from the alcohol. I have been thinking about talking to my doctor about trying a different medication for my ADD to see what happens. It's strange I would develop a side effect like this if that's what it is. If anyone has had strange head dizzy balance issues with the medication please reply. It seems like I have labyrinthitis but no tests have confirmed that yet.
Hi there

Did you ever find the answer to this? I have the same situation and am on both Vyvanse and Dex. I was on a bunch of other meds, and when i accidently double dosed a long acting Dex (diff med) I started experiencing what i think were side effects of all the meds so got off all of them.

I have days where the stimulants help the vertigo issues but days they don't, and i know my neck is extremely tight and as i have fibro, it could just be the condition with a new found vestibular migraine? I am really worried. How did you go?
Old 12-29-19, 04:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,015 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Hi there

Did you ever find the answer to this? I have the same situation and am on both Vyvanse and Dex. I was on a bunch of other meds, and when i accidently double dosed a long acting Dex (diff med) I started experiencing what i think were side effects of all the meds so got off all of them.

I have days where the stimulants help the vertigo issues but days they don't, and i know my neck is extremely tight and as i have fibro, it could just be the condition with a new found vestibular migraine? I am really worried. How did you go?
One thing to bear in mind is that stimulants increase muscle tension through their noradrenergic action.
I used to work as a doctor and one thing I often saw was that the muscle tension would often affect the jaw or the upper neck, especially when there was a preexisting problem in the area. This was often accompanied by worsening of ADHD symptoms.

In my experience ADHD individuals often have asymmetric neck problems and downstream issues affecting balance, and fear of heights (vestibular), as well as coordination (cerebellar) and eye coordination issues. As a rule though we focus entirely on the behavioural symptoms and do not investigate these.

Ive experienced significant improvement in my own symptoms through chiropractic and neuro-rehabilitation approaches, but it has not been an easy course as many of my symptoms stem from a 30 year old whiplash injury, and a good deal of damage (arthritis) was done before we got on to the main cause of the ongoing instability.

Im happy to discuss this further if you wish, but don't want to make this post too long.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-14-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-20, 08:16 PM
Jr Member

jonbon21 is on a distinguished road

I was beginning to wonder if anyone would reply to this post. Well it's been two years since I started having issues and I've pin pointed it to the adderall causing these problems. I've tried a few other stimulants, vyvanse, ritalin, focalin, daytrana, and they all have given me similar issues. I've tried getting by on Strattera and although it helped I found it be not near as effective as adderall.

Since writing this post my blood pressure has gone up and my doctor prescribed me a beta blocker called propranolol, which has somehow decreased the vertigo, nausea, and head aches. I would say it's improved my issues 50% which is nice. Maybe mention this to your doctor and see if it helps you. I believe propranolol is prescribed for migraines as well as high blood pressure.
Old 01-07-20, 06:32 AM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was beginning to wonder if anyone would reply to this post. Well it's been two years since I started having issues and I've pin pointed it to the adderall causing these problems. I've tried a few other stimulants, vyvanse, ritalin, focalin, daytrana, and they all have given me similar issues. I've tried getting by on Strattera and although it helped I found it be not near as effective as adderall.

Since writing this post my blood pressure has gone up and my doctor prescribed me a beta blocker called propranolol, which has somehow decreased the vertigo, nausea, and head aches. I would say it's improved my issues 50% which is nice. Maybe mention this to your doctor and see if it helps you. I believe propranolol is prescribed for migraines as well as high blood pressure.

As a rule stimulants have short half lives and it should be possible to get a good match for when they are in your system and when the symptoms occur.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 01-13-20, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
One thing to bear in mind is that stimulants increase muscle tension through their noradrenergic action.
I used to work as a doctor and one thing I often saw was that the muscle tension would often affect the jaw or the upper neck, especially when there was a preexisting problem in the area. This was often accompanied by worsening of ADHD symptoms.

In my experience, ADHD individuals often have asymmetric neck problems and downstream issues affecting balance, and fear of heights (vestibular), as well as coordination (cerebellar) and eye coordination issues. As a rule, though we focus entirely on the behavioral symptoms and do not investigate these.

Ive experienced significant improvement in my own symptoms through chiropractic and neuro-rehabilitation approaches, but it has not been an easy course as many of my symptoms stem from a 30 year old whiplash injury, and a good deal of damage (arthritis) was done before we got on to the main cause of the ongoing instability.

Im happy to discuss this further if you wish, but don't want to make this post too long.
I found a few things about this quite fascinating. First off, I seem to to have a paradoxical reaction on stimulants that actually calms my chronic pain, and muscle tension. mY fibro saw reductions in pains like no other when I got diagnosed and treated properly for aDHD the second time.

THat said, I take both Vyvanse and dex, and Vyvanse has an awful reaction to me by itself and def increases muscle tension if not kill me in the process. But I was also going through an extremely difficult time, and spending 12 hours a day at my standing desk on the computer, which was def me taking liberties with my health, and not pacing etcetc.

judging by a brief skim of your other posts, standing for long hours itself may not be unusual for such symptoms, is that right?

MY neck and jaw were particularly tight, and my ADHD got worse and i almost failed my course. Some days the stimulants were making it worse, or so I thought, other days they made the tinnitus, headache even nausea so much more tolerable. I tried to see if Dexamphetamine was used to treat vestibular migraines but may have been somewhat biased in my research.

I want to also state that when the initial episode happened and I ended up at the Eye and Ear Emergency in Melbourne, I was told by their second rate tests with no equipment working that it was either med interactions or vestibular migraines.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, thoracic outlet syndrome, hypermobility, but neck issues are not new. They just got a whole lot better for a little while.

I have since come off Endep, Lyrica, Baclofen, Clonidine and am only taking the occasional sleeping pill Imovane and valium which lasts about 2 hours for me as my metabolism is so awesome (not). I don't sleep.

I was put on CBD oil, but felt I was still getting symptoms from the THC.

however, it has been getting better, I mean certainly more than the initial episodes and I am annihilating my neck and upper traps with needles at the moment.

I am hoping all this is just symptoms of my fibro, and that it is nothing more serious, with it just being masked by all the previous meds.

Sidenote - my body did collapse per se, my sodium chloride/electrolytes dropped dramatically, i lost a $hitload of weight suddenly. I think there was medication toxicity amongst it all.

Sidenote 2 - I see you used to be a doctor but are having some legal issues. It is nice to see that you actually do believe in aDHD and i look forward to reading more of your blog as already it seems extremely relevant.

I also suspect I may have seen you as a patient if you are the same person who worked at Dr Sharon Lamb's Town Centre office a few years ago...

Thanks!
Old 01-13-20, 04:55 PM

Quote:

That's interesting that your blood pressure has gone up after stopping the stimulants. I hear that propranolol is for high blood pressure though huh? I have relatively low blood pressure, and that itself could be contributing.

that sucks though, im sorry to hear that things didn't improve to your satisfaction.

I assume you've had your neck/posture etc looked at? Tightness in the SCM muscles and occipitals have also been associated with such symptoms.
Old 01-14-20, 01:01 AM

Thanked 1,026 Times in 573 Posts
kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

I have this thing called POTS that’s causes dizziness. Sometimes I think I’m just crazy and have anxiety (cuz I do). If I go a really long time without salt pills I see a bunch of white and fall to the floor ( it’s been awhile tho). My main symptom constantly is that I feel like I’m rocking back and forth, mostly if I sit still and watch as I’m reading. I don’t remember if it was just always this way for me and maybe it’s a symptom of being spacey. a beta blocker helped my heart rate go down and prob helped dizziness.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
Hennessy (01-14-20)
Old 01-14-20, 03:35 AM

Yeeah i feel there could be some overlap for sure, but my blood pressue is generally low so i probably shouldn't take something that slows it down. the salt and electrolyte thing is on the money though.

i have that rocking on a boat feeling constantly too, and the tinnitus that is in my left ear can drive me a little mental.

at the same time, if i could only sleep i would feel like i could reset myself..

perhaps if i hadn't stopped going to the gym...,sigh
The Following User Says Thank You to Hennessy For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-14-20)
Old 01-14-20, 03:36 AM

jeezuz christ i really post the same stuff again and again
The Following User Says Thank You to Hennessy For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-14-20)
Old 01-14-20, 04:27 AM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

You can always get tested. I always think I can reset myself, but that doesn’t work.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
Old 01-15-20, 10:08 PM

how did you get tested?
Old 01-15-20, 11:09 PM

Tilt table test
Old 01-16-20, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I found a few things about this quite fascinating. First off, I seem to to have a paradoxical reaction on stimulants that actually calms my chronic pain, and muscle tension. mY fibro saw reductions in pains like no other when I got diagnosed and treated properly for aDHD the second time.
The paradoxical reactions are very interesting. My heart rate usually drops after taking dex, and similarly neck and back pain usually decreases.
I dont know why- but I am betting that there is some sort of asymmetrical brain activity in many of us- and that the stimulants maybe have a greater effect on the underactive side. This would have to be through an effect that was the same on both sides, but on the whole balanced the parameters. ie- if you looked at a local parameter the local firing rate in that pathway might be 10/s on one side, and 5 /s on the other. If you gave stimulants that boosted these up to 30, and 25 on the other - the ratio of difference would be much less and the system would work better.
At this side that is only speculation on my part and Im looking round for someone who can tell me more.

Quote:

That said, I take both Vyvanse and dex, and Vyvanse has an awful reaction to me by itself and def increases muscle tension if not kill me in the process. But I was also going through an extremely difficult time, and spending 12 hours a day at my standing desk on the computer, which was def me taking liberties with my health, and not pacing etcetc.

judging by a brief skim of your other posts, standing for long hours itself may not be unusual for such symptoms, is that right?
I think that doing any one thing for long hours is going to be problematic, especially in front of a screen. Forward head posture is a killer, literally.

The first muscles to tighten up and cause symptoms are usually muscles that already were over tight, in my experience. However tightening of the musces at the base of the skull, and particularly SCM can also worsen the cognitive and altertness issues of ADHD.

[/quote]

MY neck and jaw were particularly tight, and my ADHD got worse and i almost failed my course. Some days the stimulants were making it worse, or so I thought, other days they made the tinnitus, headache even nausea so much more tolerable. I tried to see if Dexamphetamine was used to treat vestibular migraines but may have been somewhat biased in my research.

I want to also state that when the initial episode happened and I ended up at the Eye and Ear Emergency in Melbourne, I was told by their second rate tests with no equipment working that it was either med interactions or vestibular migraines.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, thoracic outlet syndrome, hypermobility, but neck issues are not new. They just got a whole lot better for a little while.

[quote]
All of these can be symptoms of the neck problem I have been talking about. It is especially an issue if you have had it some time and got the classic posture deformity: for a right sided subluxation the right shoulder gets puled down and forwards and the right leg is somewhat extended. It seems that C2 is the major issue. Once I found that, and worked out a strategy to deal with it (about a month ago) my functioning has improved a lot and most of my myofascial pain is resolved.
The thoracic outlet issues would be an expected outcome of a mix of forward head posture and the postural deformity that I have just described.

Quote:

I have since come off Endep, Lyrica, Baclofen, Clonidine and am only taking the occasional sleeping pill Imovane and valium which lasts about 2 hours for me as my metabolism is so awesome (not). I don't sleep.

I was put on CBD oil, but felt I was still getting symptoms from the THC.

however, it has been getting better, I mean certainly more than the initial episodes and I am annihilating my neck and upper traps with needles at the moment.

I am hoping all this is just symptoms of my fibro, and that it is nothing more serious, with it just being masked by all the previous meds.
The issue here is that fibro is not something tht can give you symptoms. Fibro syndrome it is is a cluster of symptoms- each of which can cause problems--- but it has no causal efficacy. It is a subtle point but important.

Now there is good evidence that neck problems are the primary cause of fibromyalgia ( Leon Chaitow osteopath, covers this in detail in a very detailed book called "Fibromyalgia Syndrome)" and I am suggesting that they are the major cause of ADHD, and the other issues you are talking about.

Fibro and ADHD are just syndromes. I would estimate that most cases of fibro have a neck problem behind them as would most ADHD. (at least 80% in my experience.
I prefer the term "affective spectrum disorder" - which emphasises that we are dealing with a cluster of problems that may alter the way that the patient presents on any one day.

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama...article/207153

The trouble is that these high neck malalignments --aka- subluxations cause profound disturbance to the input of sensory information from our bodies- and that has downstream effects that are particularly prominent in balance and coordination, effective eye movements when reading, and autonomic nervous system-excess sweating, hyperactivity symptoms, difficulty getting in tune with other people.

Quote:

Sidenote 2 - I see you used to be a doctor but are having some legal issues. It is nice to see that you actually do believe in ADHD and I look forward to reading more of your blog as already it seems extremely relevant.

I also suspect I may have seen you as a patient if you are the same person who worked at Dr Sharon Lamb's Town Centre office a few years ago...

Thanks!
What happened was that my health problems got he better of me and I had a series of flare ups of my bipolar.
While all that happened I was getting more weighed down by pain and sleep problems- so despite the clearance I got to go back to work I realised that my physical health would not permit that.
So really I am finding it hard to sit and do desk work for more than a few hours, and I'm still having some misfiring in my stress system which can lead to further sleep disturbances. Ive never found a tablet that can reliably help my sleep.

Yes the medical board are a pain and they make things much worse because of the long delays in processing things, but the final decision that I was physically unfit was mine.

It turns out that the decisive factor was that there was a C2 subluxation (as opposed to atlas that we had all been thinking about) that had been hidden by the atlas problem- and it caused all kinds of issues.

The blog is about to get a major makeover. I have learned a good deal more about the pathogenic mechanisms by which it causes symptoms.
Much of what I have written was on an ad hoc basis as I came across new info so now I need to sit down and structure it making it as concise as possible. It could well turn into a book, but I would want some qualified collaborators.

The challenge is turning a complex understanding of the neurology into something that can be widely understood.
Maybe a paragraph synopsis to each section?

Yes you are correct about Sharon Lamb's practice

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-16-20)