ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-04, 03:57 AM

DB1975 is on a distinguished road
Anyone else have emotional changes with Strattera?

Hello,

I am new to this group and actually have never been on a group before. I am 28 years old and teach vocal music. After months of research last year, I finally saw a dr. and was diagnosed with Adult ADHD.

I started on Concerta and noticed a night and day difference immediately. Since I always take on too many work-related projects, I asked if I could try a higher dosage. So, for about a month I was on the max. Concerta dose of two 54 mg. tablets a day. Focus level was great but seemed so elevated that I felt overly anxious. Also, I had a significant increase in blood pressure.

So, I asked to try Strattera. The Doctor put me back on the slightly lower dose (two 36 mg. tablets per day) and combined it with Strattera (two 40 mg. tablets, which I take in the morning with the concerta). That was about four months ago. Since that time I have notices changes for the worse in my emotional responses to things. I have also noticed more severe mood swings.

For example, I am extremely passionate about directing vocal music, but since the strattera, a great rehearsal with my kids just did not produce that "woo hoo" feeling I used to get. I mean, I was calm as calm could be, so things that frustrated me before Concerta or Strattera did not frustrate me easily anymore. But, I have felt a lot of emotional "blankness" and I really started to notice it after a few weeks of taking both drugs together. I also noticed myself being short and grumpy with my wife when it was completely uncalled for on my part.

Can anyone else relate to this? What course of action did you take? My thought is to either a) Go back to just the slightly lower dose of concerta. b) Lower the strattera dose or cut it in half, or c) I know nothing about this--but what about taking the strattera at night and the Concerta in the morning?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you SO much!

DB1975