ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-12, 11:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,334 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation
How can adhd members research articles and data?

I find it impossible to do this yet i read posts where members know names of adhd scientists/doctors and link articles that are giant walls of text. Sometimes i read threads where members are reccomending books that are hundreds of pages of technical talk/lingo using terms that are beyond me.
I see wall of text and i literally immediatly lose interest even more so an article link with 7 pages of technical terms and indepth information. How are you people doing this? Even medicated i cant do this.

I hope the answer isnt simply that you are passionate or want to know your disorder better. That would be too simple of an answer . Im passionate about alot of things and have learned them well, but i never retain them like some of you seem to retain stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
Spacemaster (04-06-12)
Old 04-05-12, 11:08 PM

Thanked 21,941 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can adhd members research articles and data?

I don't know about the others it's just that I'm really passionate :P
Old 04-05-12, 11:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

cyonce has a spectacular aura aboutcyonce has a spectacular aura about

Meds help some for me but I've always been able to absorb massive amounts of info about subjects that really interest me. That's more typical of aspergers/autism spectrum though which I am increasingly suspecting I have a helping of.

Things that don't interest me though, I see:

Words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyonce For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-06-12), kristo (04-06-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-12, 11:22 PM

Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,334 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyonce View Post
Meds help some for me but I've always been able to absorb massive amounts of info about subjects that really interest me. That's more typical of aspergers/autism spectrum though which I am increasingly suspecting I have a helping of.

Things that don't interest me though, I see:

Words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words.
145 times. Gawd i need help lol
Old 04-06-12, 03:58 AM

Thanked 30,822 Times in 14,173 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemicals View Post

I hope the answer isnt simply that you are passionate or want to know your disorder better. That would be too simple of an answer . Im passionate about alot of things and have learned them well, but i never retain them like some of you seem to retain stuff.
I think, for me that is the answer. I can only concentrate when I'm extremely passionate about something. Though passion alone isn't always enough. The whole package needs to be right. I need to be in a good mood, feeling healthy, and the subject has to be extremely, extremely interesting and/or very rewarding. Even the temperature/climate/location has to be right!!

Though sometimes, I'm just so interested I can concentrate anyway even if the world around me comes crashing down.

I still don't retain everything but if I'm interested enough, I'll write down whatever I think I might want to know in the future.
Old 04-06-12, 11:46 AM
Contributor

KCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I think, for me that is the answer. I can only concentrate when I'm extremely passionate about something. Though passion alone isn't always enough. The whole package needs to be right. I need to be in a good mood, feeling healthy, and the subject has to be extremely, extremely interesting and/or very rewarding. Even the temperature/climate/location has to be right!!

Though sometimes, I'm just so interested I can concentrate anyway even if the world around me comes crashing down.

I still don't retain everything but if I'm interested enough, I'll write down whatever I think I might want to know in the future.
All this. And what everyone else said.

I'm researching because I have a very specific motive of cracking the ADHD code, so I do a lot of copy pasting, a lot of note taking. And I'm constantly thinking about this stuff even when I'm not reading (to the detriment of my day job sometimes lol).

So definitely not normal levels of interest. It's truly a passion. And one that's grown on me over the course of a few years...

Meaning it was merely a 'weak interest' when I first started. Full disclosure: I was not this passionate when I started in 2008 --- so back then my ability to immerse myself was also very poor. I just let intrigue grow naturally, like any other hobby.

-----

All that being said, I read a lot of electronic copies and use the search function and table of contents to find specifically what I'm looking for. I mostly do not read from cover to cover.

Table of contents, index at the back of the book, Google book search and pdf search tool is your friend.

"I wouldn't have had good scientific ideas if I had thought more normally."
--- Prof John Nash: Nobel Laureate in Economics, Schizophrenic, subject of "A Beautiful Mind"

Old 04-06-12, 12:27 PM

gracious_mama has a spectacular aura aboutgracious_mama has a spectacular aura about

Personally my mind seems to be overactive in this respect. I am able to use my hyperfocus to read for hours on end about anything that interests me. That is the key it has to INTEREST me.

I took a history class for college and miserably failed it because I could NOT pay attention to what I was reading, nor did I retain it.

As a young teen I was homeschooled and while a lot of my schoolwork got pushed off to the side I would spend all day at the library reading Psychology textbooks. I learned a lot but my parents were ******.

However mental health in general seems to pique my interest. Also as a young teen trying to figure out what was wrong with me I studied a ton of information on bipolar, depression, and borderline personality disorder.

When I was pregnant I spent insane amounts of time reading all about pregnancy, labor, newborns, and the developmental stages of children to age 5.

After my son was born I spent large chunks of time on parenting forums and for awhile I was very passionate about breastfeeding and so spent a lot of time fixated on that.

I went through a phase of about 1 year and a half of reading (both online and off) about vaccines and autism (not necessarily together but everyone knows there is a lot of information about their correlation/lack thereof)

Now my fixation is on ADHD.

While this CAN be an asset it is also a great frustration because it is hard (if not impossible at times) for me to pull myself away from my "research" of these things to actually live life and take care of my children safely. Clean, change diapers, (I have to set alarms so I remember to FEED them), there have been a few close calls when my kids were toddlers because I would get so absorbed that I wouldn't supervise them properly and I am lucky worse situations haven't occured.

Also while I do remember SOME information of the previous things I was fixated on, I do NOT retain a great majority of it.