ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-08, 06:35 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Zach326 will become famous soon enough
Post "Organic" Foods: Certification Does Not Protect Consumers

I found this article to be interesting, I myself am a fan of organic foods and have always felt I was gaining some kind of benefit in my consumption of organic products.

I'm not a fan of every article that pops up on Quackwatch, and this one kind of rubbed me the wrong way. In the end i thought to my self, "well maybe you just want to believe you haven't been wasting your money for the past 5 years."

This article however will not prevent me from purchasing organic foods, not at the moment anyway, i still feel very unclear about the whole issue.

Here is the article...

http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...s/organic.html

Also, be sure to view the reader response at the bottom, you can't miss it because it is bright yellow and full of passion (which has manifested its self as apparent anger).
The Following User Says Thank You to Zach326 For This Useful Post:
Tilly (06-03-08)
Old 01-11-08, 01:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
Re: "Organic" Foods: Certification Does Not Protect Consumers

all foods pos a risk to health in some way deping on the person how much you eat and genes as well all facts in it organtic again deps what you belive in the end

dorm
Old 01-14-08, 08:51 PM

Thanked 1,018 Times in 641 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

re: Pesticides in foods

Some foods have more chemicals in them (pesticide residue) than others.

For example, one of the TOP offenders are Red and Green Bell Peppers.

Cherries, Strawberries, Peaches, Pears, Apples and celery are also high.
The Following User Says Thank You to QueensU_girl For This Useful Post:
Tilly (06-03-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-08, 12:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Wisefolly will become famous soon enough

I would prefer to eat organic food all the time, but I cannot really afford to do that. I've seen many news articles promoting bio-tech as a way to use less pesticides. Unfortunately, they fail to mention products such as Round-up Ready Soybeans, soybeans genetically engineered to be resistant to the Round-up brand of pesticide. They also tend to fail to mention how genetically-engineered crops can spread to non-genetically modified fields. American rice growers opted to not grow genetically engineered rice because it is much harder to sell in markets abroad. Rice that was genetically engineered for pharmaceutical purposes somehow wound up contaminating the US crop and made it difficult for the farmers to get it out of their stocks. Our big news conglomerates are not telling the full story. It's sad.
Old 06-02-08, 12:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

If your trying to avoid genetic modified food your likely fooling yourself. Most all crops strains in use have been irradiated in the past to produce mutate strains to increase production. Thats a random kind of process that is merely faster than what evolution could do. Without those strains expect very low yields of crops. Interesting if you see baby corn thats how all corn plants were 10,000+ years ago. But people used available technology (selective breeding) and got corn to the size you see it is today. Undoubtedly mutations were observed and those seeds were saved.
Old 06-02-08, 12:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Wisefolly will become famous soon enough

Has most of it been irradiated for that purpose? I thought irradiation was to kill e. coli, etc. Interesting...

I know selective breeding is not technically "organic" but I certainly prefer it to GM foods that have been modified for purposes such as making sure they can resist any amount of Round-up you decide to dowse them with! :P I don't really object to selective breeding for plants because, from my understanding they are complex enough to not have too many problems from it, unlike dogs and other animals. That being said, I'm not a scientist and don't know enough about it to make a good judgement.

Now that I think about it... bananas may have had problems from selective breeding, or it is expected that they will... right? I dunno.
Old 06-02-08, 02:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisefolly View Post
Has most of it been irradiated for that purpose? I thought irradiation was to kill e. coli, etc. Interesting...
How its done (I took a microbiology class ) is you use too little radation you dont get many mutations, use too much and you kill all the cells. I think the ideal amount is in the range that most of the cells are infact killed. It can be done with chemicals to. UV light is often used in the lab. The sun provides that role in nature. Most mutations are maladaptive. But rarely they are adaptive. Oh irradiating cells in the present of "Round-up" and seeing which ones survive and grow could yield a round-up resistant strain. You could also determine the precise gene in such mutants and alter that gene in other strains to get the same effect.
Old 06-03-08, 11:40 AM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough

Does anyone have a good link that explains which foods are more likely to hold pesticides?
Queen U girl wrote some of them, but I'd love to see some links.

I'm trying to get the grocery bill down a little bit so I stopped buying organic banannas, but I'm willing to spend the money on organic apples and strawberries.

I would love to go through my shopping list and make sure I'm spending money properly when it comes to organic.

Thank you for all the information on gm foods. If I could only understand it. and apply it to the way I shop.

What about hydrophonic (sp) tomatoes? Are they okay?
Old 06-07-08, 01:12 PM

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all

i do believe in the 'organic' cause... However, buying locally grown produce makes the purchase twice as nice, IMO

Just buying some of the maybe pricier organic, and just stop buying the junkie foods, can help balance the costs of groceries..

byeyaz
Old 06-07-08, 08:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

qhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
For raising animals, antibiotics would not be permitted as growth stimulants but would be permitted to counter infections. The rules permit up to 20% of animal feed to be obtained from non-organic sources. This was done because some nutrients (such as trace minerals) are not always available organically. Irradiation, which can reduce or eliminate certain pests, kill disease-causing bacteria, and prolong food shelf-life, would be permitted during processing. Genetic engineering would also be permissible.
Quote:
The definition of organic as written in the proposed national organic standards lacks the holistic approach central to organic practices. The proposed rules take a reductionist approach to organic food production that eliminates key concepts such as the health of the agro-ecosystem and biodiversity on the farm.
I agree with the article in that there is really not much difference between organic and non-organic foods but the reasons IMHO are different than what the article says.

Food is food and healthy plants and animals are healthy plants and animals. There's really no difference at all between 'normal' and organic produce, meats, and dairy on the consumer side. The produce is essentially the same. The difference is on the producer side.

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong. But, on the producer side, organic farmers take a more holistic approach to managing their herds, range, fields, etc... Actually, it seems like farming as a whole is beginning to take a more holistic approach. As oppose to whenever any disease crops up, coming up with new and 'better' herbicides and pesticides. We're finally starting to realize that the soil, water, plants, and animals are all intertwined and actions taken have an effect on the whole. And, that chemicals can't really be gotten rid of. They crop up in the ground water ten miles away etc...

So, if the question is whether or not organic products themselves are healthier, there's little to no difference whatsoever.

But, if the question is whether the process of producing those products is healthier in terms of the water system, methane, air quality -- the ecosystem in general, the answer is yes.

In general, organic farms are smaller and their way of staying afloat is going organic. The prices are a little higher and they can corner that niche market where they wouldn't be able to compete with larger farms.

I do take issue with what I quoted above and here are the reasons.
Quote:
For raising animals, antibiotics would not be permitted as growth stimulants but would be permitted to counter infections.
In the initial stages of organic farming where antibiotics were quit cold turkey, you ended up with lousy farming practices where animals would sicken and die without treatment. Animals going to slaughter would be underweight, sickly, and worm and disease ridden -- if anything MUCH more unhealthy than non-organic animals not to mention inhumane. There are certain stipulations as to how much and when the antibiotics can be given. I believe that animals going to slaughter can't be given antibiotics and maintain their organic status and dairy animals can't either. I know one dairy farmer will treat his cows with antibiotics but as soon as they're well, they're sold.

Quote:
The rules permit up to 20% of animal feed to be obtained from non-organic sources. This was done because some nutrients (such as trace minerals) are not always available organically.
I think the idea behind going organic is to eat a healthier product and unless animals have access to certain minerals, amino acids, and the like, they are not going to be healthy.

One of my friends was at a slaughter plant when they were processing some organic pigs and was completely grossed out. They were underweight, sickly looking, and had piles of worms in their gut. It was disgusting.

Quote:
The definition of organic as written in the proposed national organic standards lacks the holistic approach central to organic practices.
IMHO, the holistic approach central to organic practices is health of the product and ecosystem -- none of which you'll get if disease and malnutrition is rampant.

I know organic farmers and non-organic farmers and neither is necessarily better. However, organic is a way many smaller operations can stay afloat and I'm for anything that helps small farms out.
School is a society sanctioned torture system designed to rob people of their sanity and to give them a falsely inflated ego upon completion where one gets a piece of paper saying "I sat on my rear in crowded classrooms for x years and only spit up what they told me to". --me
Old 06-07-08, 08:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

This may not be related but the best tomatoes I ever ate I grew myself.
Old 07-13-08, 07:06 PM

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all
Post Re: "Organic" Foods: Certification Does Not Protect Consumers

http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/slow...cproduce_2.htm

Ok, THAT is a link about which foods you REALLy should consider consuming
Organicallyyy, that is.. hahaha
difficulty rating ranks quite high w/actually doing some of this prolly

Quote:
Celery 94.5% of celery sampled were found to contain pesticides.
Old 01-22-09, 07:00 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

roseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to all

We're lucky in the UK because almost every certified organic item you're likely to see has been certified by the same organisation, Soil Association, so you know exactly what the standards would have been. Its standards are very high and include the absence of many common additives from the final product.