ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 05-15-18, 05:55 AM
Jr Member

NotSureYet is on a distinguished road
Re: Anxious about first appt with psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Hearing it from the doctor works better for some skeptics.

My son-in-law accepted the autism diagnosis for his youngest daughter,
but he never accepted the adhd diagnosis for his oldest daughter.
Even after attending several therapy sessions.
Ironically he probably had adhd himself.
There was a kid at a school we did some work for whose parents were willing to accept the diagnosis of cerebral palsy but not autism. And we're determined that whatever job she got had to be "in an office" because that was their idea of success.

Hopefully if I do get a diagnosis my husband accepts it. I'm going to try recommended treatment regardless.
Old 05-16-18, 08:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,450 Times in 15,034 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSureYet View Post
There was a kid at a school we did some work for whose parents were willing to accept the diagnosis of cerebral palsy but not autism. And we're determined that whatever job she got had to be "in an office" because that was their idea of success.

Hopefully if I do get a diagnosis my husband accepts it. I'm going to try recommended treatment regardless.
I really really think you should have an gut-level honest and frank discussion with him before you see the doctor. He needs to know whats going on and you need to be able to trust him and lean on him. He needs to get educated about adhd.(try Russel Barkley videos on youtube) He needs to accept your issues and pain/depression/ struggles. I see no point in waiting. If anything, they might ask you to complete a conner's scale survey ( https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/conners-scale)and someone in your life that sees you on a daily basis is usually asked to do one too. He should have the opportunity to play a role in this.
TBH I am irritated for you because nothing sucks more than having a loved one in denial.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-23-18)
Old 05-25-18, 09:52 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I really really think you should have an gut-level honest and frank discussion with him before you see the doctor. He needs to know whats going on and you need to be able to trust him and lean on him. He needs to get educated about adhd.(try Russel Barkley videos on youtube) He needs to accept your issues and pain/depression/ struggles. I see no point in waiting. If anything, they might ask you to complete a conner's scale survey ( https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/conners-scale)and someone in your life that sees you on a daily basis is usually asked to do one too. He should have the opportunity to play a role in this.
TBH I am irritated for you because nothing sucks more than having a loved one in denial.
I tried but I felt a tad dismissed. He is very loving and normally supportive. I tried to explain some of the issues I have had and I think to him they just sounded like qualities/problems lots of people have. His reaction made me reluctant to tell him more. I mentioned in a conversation a few days ago that I still count on my fingers often even for fairly simple calculations (for others) and I hide them under the table etc so people can't see me do it. He did seembsurprised by that. I feel like I have got to where I am in life with my career and studies either putting in excessive time to learn and complete things, and hiding things I struggle with best I can. And I'm tired of it now and want to see if this is the way things have to be.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-18, 08:29 AM
Jr Member

Had my appointment today. Start Ritalin tomorrow. Eager to see how this goes!
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSureYet For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-29-18)
Old 06-08-18, 07:57 AM
Jr Member

So I started off on 10mg of Ritalin Twice a day. Didn't notice much beyond side effects. Today I upped the dose as directed by psychiatrist (ok I delayed upping the dose by a few days because I had a work presentation to do and was worried about the effect the increase might have on me while I was already nervous) to 20mg in the morning and 10mg at lunchtime. Holy crap. I worked. I didn't check my phone, make a cup of tea out of boredom, get out of my chair, try to find something to entertain myself....I just worked. I don't remember when I have got so much done in that space of time. And apart from feeling like my pulse was a bit faster than usual, I felt fine. No euphoria, but no anxiety either (I did feel a bit jittery on the first dose). Will this feeling last? Surely it's too good to be true!
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSureYet For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-08-18)
Old 06-08-18, 02:23 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,707 Times in 10,417 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSureYet View Post
So I started off on 10mg of Ritalin Twice a day. Didn't notice much beyond side effects. Today I upped the dose as directed by psychiatrist (ok I delayed upping the dose by a few days because I had a work presentation to do and was worried about the effect the increase might have on me while I was already nervous) to 20mg in the morning and 10mg at lunchtime. Holy crap. I worked. I didn't check my phone, make a cup of tea out of boredom, get out of my chair, try to find something to entertain myself....I just worked. I don't remember when I have got so much done in that space of time. And apart from feeling like my pulse was a bit faster than usual, I felt fine. No euphoria, but no anxiety either (I did feel a bit jittery on the first dose). Will this feeling last? Surely it's too good to be true!
Congratulations on finding something that works like this!

You may find that there's a bit of a honeymoon period -- it's exciting/a huge relief to be able to get stuff done, finally, and that excitement/relief, in turn, helps you get stuff done.

After that initial period of "Wow! Who knew I could actually do this?!!!" wears off, you may feel like you're backsliding a little, as it becomes your new "normal". That's where the other self-management strategies come in -- which you'll need to try out for yourself so you can figure out what works best in your life and fine-tune those strategies.

Many people, once they find the sweet spot with medication (working, without bothersome side effects) continue to benefit for years or even decades. Some find that they need to change things up every now and then as their bodies and/or lives change over time.

In any case, best wishes on your journey!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Little Nut (06-11-18)