ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 05-14-18, 12:58 PM

Paneross is on a distinguished road
Should I stop Vyvanse or get a lower dosage?

Hello all, I'll try to include as much information as I can. 31 Male, 5'4 (short guy)

I've been on Vyvanse for about 8 months now. Started at a very low dose and currently I'm on 50mg doses. Around the exact same time I began a new diet. I have cut out all added sugars (candy/sweets/desserts) and fast food. I still get natural sugars through fruit and carb intake. I was 195lbs

I began losing an average of 5lbs a month. I weigh myself once a week and it goes up/down around a pound at a time. Currently I hover around 135lbs so I've lost 60lbs since starting the diet and vyvanse. (I haven't cheated on the diet, not even once)

Now I've only been on the 50mg doses since January 2018, and around that time I started experiencing some symptoms. I began getting dry mouth intermittently, have to use my glasses more often, and the BIG issue; extreme coldness in my fingers. To the point I'd have to take a hot bath to get any type of relief. Now I've had cold feet my entire life and only recently in my fingers, now matter the temperature. It comes and goes but I experience it ofren.

I just had bloodwork/urine labs done and everything came back normal. Nothing stood out. I wanting to make sure the weight loss was from my effort and not another issues. So on paper I look normal, and now I need to try and solve these side effects;

Doctor said I should get off of the Vyvanse for a week or so and see if that makes an improvement. I want to, but now I'm concerned that I'll start packing on weight again after I've worked so hard to get where I'm at now. Can I cut back to taking it every other day instead by chance?

Any suggestions/comments?
The Following User Says Thank You to Paneross For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-14-18)
Old 05-14-18, 02:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I stop Vyvanse or get a lower dosage?

Weight loss is almost certainly a result of your efforts and choices.

Mentioned side-effects sound normal/typical from the use of amphetamines.

I’d continue to take your medication as prescribed.

And for what it is worth, Vyvanse is, per milligram, the weakest of all the amphetamine-based ADHD medications, so it isn’t like you are hitting it hard or anything.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 05-14-18, 07:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Weight loss from stimulants tends to be from reduced caloric intake rather than a direct metabolic change.

If you maintain your healthy eating habits, then you won't regain the weight. But don't be surprised if your appetite increases after you stop the Vyvanse.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-18, 11:19 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paneross View Post
---SNIPPAGE---

Doctor said I should get off of the Vyvanse for a week or so and see if that makes an improvement.

Any suggestions/comments?
Hey Paneross, Just checking. Did that Doc SUGGEST you consider discontinuing the Vyvanse or did the Doc INSTRUCT you to discontinue the Vyvanse? -LN
Old 05-15-18, 03:28 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paneross View Post
and the BIG issue; extreme coldness in my fingers. To the point I'd have to take a hot bath to get any type of relief. Now I've had cold feet my entire life and only recently in my fingers, now matter the temperature. It comes and goes but I experience it ofren.
Have you talked to you doctor about this? This could be a beginning symptom of what is called Raynaud's phenomenon or Raynaud syndrome which has been linked to the use of stimulants. This is listed in the side effects section at vyvanse.com:

Circulation problems in fingers and toes
[peripheral vasculopathy, including Raynaud's phenomenon]: Fingers or toes may feel numb, cool, painful, sensitive to temperature and/or change color from pale, to blue, to red.

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Raynaud syndrome, also known as Raynaud's phenomenon, is a medical condition in which spasm of arteries cause episodes of reduced blood flow.[1] Typically the fingers, and less commonly the toes, are involved.[1] Rarely, the nose, ears, or lips are affected.[1] The episodes result in the affected part turning white and then blue.[2] Often, there is numbness or pain.[2] As blood flow returns, the area turns red and burns.[2] The episodes typically last minutes, but can last up to several hours.[2]

The condition can cause pain within the affected extremities, discoloration (paleness), and sensations of cold and/or numbness. This can often be distressing to those who are undiagnosed, and sometimes it can be obstructive. If someone with Raynaud's is placed into a cold climate, it could potentially become dangerous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Old 05-15-18, 03:33 PM

Paneross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hey Paneross, Just checking. Did that Doc SUGGEST you consider discontinuing the Vyvanse or did the Doc INSTRUCT you to discontinue the Vyvanse? -LN
He suggested I try to take a week off and see if the side effects went away. I've only tried one day but started to panic, convinced I would be unable to control hunger and splurge.
Old 05-16-18, 08:34 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey Paneross. I "think" the decision doesn't involve short-term eating habits. I think it is whether you have to find the cause of your issues or not. For me, I would have gotten that from my Doc. I would guess my Doc would have left it one of the below ways;
  • This is a problem and we have to find the cause and resolve it.
  • This may be a problem and we need to figure out the cause to determine if something needs to be done.
  • It is likely not an issue, but if it really concerns you, you can stop the Vyvanse for a week and see what happens.
  • It's not a problem and you need to stop worrying about it.

How'd the Doc leave it with you? -LN