ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 04-19-12, 08:41 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

zette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud of
Risperdal

DS6 is dx with Aspergers and ADHD. Over the last five months we've slowly increased Aderall XR and Intuniv (currently 20mg and 1mg), and in March his teacher said she felt he's turned a corner and is finally able to work and learn at school.

Although he is still growing in height, the problem is that his weight is continuing to drop. He started out 70th percentile is height and 40th percentile in weight, and is now in the 5th percentile for weight. (He dropped from about 50 pounds to 45).

DS has very little appetite, and we've started feeding therapy with an OT because he has a limited number of foods he will eat and huge resistance to anything new. I can't use the standard food hiding tricks -- he even refused a smoothie made from peanut butter and milk, two foods he loves.

The pdoc says if his weight continues to drop, she will try risperdal (or maybe it was risperdone) next. Where can I find more info about this drug? Does anyone have experiences with it they can share?
Old 04-19-12, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

anticipate is a jewel in the roughanticipate is a jewel in the roughanticipate is a jewel in the rough
Re: Risperdal

My DS8 is on Risperidone (the generic). I was very resistant to giving it to him at first, but I am so glad we did it. It's been really fantastic for him. If you read around on ADHD forums you'll see the primary side-effect is some serious sleepyness. For most kids this passes in a few days, but some kids it is really bad and doesn't go away, so they end up not being able to continue with it. But for my son it was only the first few days that he was really tired (napping in the afternoon, which hasn't happened since he like 12mos old!)
Old 04-20-12, 10:41 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

zette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud of

Does it work immediately like aderall, or does it take time to build up in the system? How long did it take to find the right dose?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-12, 02:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

anticipate is a jewel in the roughanticipate is a jewel in the roughanticipate is a jewel in the rough

It takes time to build up in their system.. I want to say it was like a week before we noticed his behavior change, and probably 2-3 weeks for the full effect to become apparent.

We started with half a .25mg pill, for 1 week, then went up to a full .25mg pill for 3 weeks, then upped it by another half pill, etc etc. Sadly it's a bit guesswork as to what works best. I want to say it was probably 5-6 weeks before we were sure we had the right dose.
Old 04-20-12, 09:20 PM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

If appetite is the only problem and none of the traditional tricks to get them to eat work, then you can try Periactin. It's a safe antihistamine that promotes weight gain.