ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 04-12-18, 01:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,171 Times in 883 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: Questions about so called SCT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Okay I'm following you on the first part, but what does "top down" mean?

In Dr. Barkley's video , he talks about the anterior cingulate role in regulating emotions and that anterior cingulate is smaller in people with AD(H)D.

At about 2:10 timeline in the video, Dr. Barkley explains how anterior cingulate..

Quote:
"...projects back into a very old primitive system, known as the amygdala and the limbic system at large. The limbic system is the emotional brain. Most species with a brain and a spinal cord have this system, because this is where emotions come from..
In other words, the anterior cingulate is higher up in the prefrontal lobe area of the brain, than the older more primitive limbic system (the emotional brain). The anterior cingulate evolved on top of the limbic system (emotional brain). The anterior cingulate is higher up in the prefrontal area of the brain (roughly behind our eyes) and connects to the lower limbic system (emotional brain).

Because the anterior cingulate is underdeveloped in people with ADHD..

Quote:
(3:10)...it is going to leave you with not regulating your limbic system. Your going to be very emotionally impulsive. You will be characterized as low frustration tolerance, impatience, quick to anger...
Quote:
(5:36)...now you know why it is the inability of this anterior cingulate to govern that limbic system. So that emotions once provoked get expressed without the top down management that other people would be doing using the frontal lobe to reach in and take hold and fine tune the limbic system
When matured, the higher anterior cingulate regulates the lower limbic system (where emotions come from) from the top down. (From the top area of our brain (prefrontal lobe area) down into our lower limbic system/emotional brain)

Because the anterior cingulate is underdeveloped in people with AD(H)D, we lack some top down regulation of emotions, that people with more developed anterior cingulates are better able to regulate.

Following me so far?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-12-18 at 02:06 AM..
Old 04-12-18, 03:24 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,434 Times in 7,189 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Okay...that's what I was looking for.

I'm not sure if you explained it clearly earlier in this thread, but I had no idea what the phrase "top down" meant. I still kinda think you're misusing the phrase...or maybe it's not so much as misusing it, but just using it in a confusing way and it's hard to follow you because you came up with this term out of the blue and it's like you just expected people to know what you meant.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Last edited by psychopathetic; 04-12-18 at 03:44 AM..
Old 04-12-18, 03:55 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,434 Times in 7,189 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
top down. (From the top area of our brain (prefrontal lobe area) down into our lower limbic system/emotional brain)
This makes sense to me.
This however...

Quote:
top down regulation of emotions
By your definition of top down, this is like saying "the top area of or brain to the limbic system regulation of emotions". ???
That just doesn't make sense to me.

Or your phrase..."top down negative commorbidities"

..."top down (From the top area of our brain (prefrontal lobe area) down into our lower limbic system/emotional brain) negative commorbidities.

To me it just feels like you're using a word that doesn't belong there. "top down". It's like me saying something like "I'm going to pizza a tent tonight." or any other random sentence with a random word thrown in.
Maybe it's just me not getting it?

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-18, 06:34 AM
Jr Member

unomie has a spectacular aura aboutunomie has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
This makes sense to me.
This however...

By your definition of top down, this is like saying "the top area of or brain to the limbic system regulation of emotions". ???
That just doesn't make sense to me.

Or your phrase..."top down negative commorbidities"

..."top down (From the top area of our brain (prefrontal lobe area) down into our lower limbic system/emotional brain) negative commorbidities.

To me it just feels like you're using a word that doesn't belong there. "top down". It's like me saying something like "I'm going to pizza a tent tonight." or any other random sentence with a random word thrown in.
Maybe it's just me not getting it?
CBT is a "top-down" approach based on the idea that if a person thinks right, they will feel alright
Old 04-12-18, 12:17 PM

Thanked 25,574 Times in 11,915 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Many people who have AD(H)D develop anxiety and/or depression (commorbities), due to living with AD(H)D (the lack of top down regulation)

Following me so far?

M
Just a note, anxiety or depression may be caused by the difficulty of living with
undiagnosed and untreated adhd.

But there are cases where they are differential diagnoses, perhaps caused by
the same areas of underdevelopment in the brain.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-13-18, 07:24 PM

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Some of the language used on this thread reminds me of technobabble:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technobabble
Reminds me of some of the research abstracts in science I remember from my university days. Personally, I never did like some of the terms tossed around willy-nilly on the assumption that everybody reading them will understand them perfectly.
When possible, follow the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid. Just FYI.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 07:41 PM

I think, if I presented terminology that is simple, some members would say it is not that simple.

And if I presented terminology that was complex, some members would say keep it simple.

There is simply so much so called baloney going on with the topic of so called SCT.

Better?

M
Old 04-17-18, 07:48 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think, if I presented terminology that is simple, some members would say it is not that simple.

And if I presented terminology that was complex, some members would say keep it simple.

There is simply so much baloney going on with the topic of so called SCT.

Better?

M
You are right that you can't please everyone.

I am of the opinion that researchers are figuring out things everyday and making
sense of things that didn't make much sense before.

I think there is a possibility that research into what is being called SCT for now
may be making sense of something that looks different than adhd.

What do you mean when you say there is "so much baloney going on" about SCT?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-17-18, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post

What do you mean when you say there is "so much baloney going on" about SCT?

There are so much about bottom up and top down brain processing that are not even being consider.

M
Old 04-17-18, 08:39 PM

Quote:
There are so much about bottom up and top down brain processing that are not even being consider.

M
Have you asked any of them if they are including that in their research?

How can you be so sure they aren't?