ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 08-12-18, 04:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,866 Times in 13,788 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Adhd parents: Does ADHD affect your ability to parent?

There have been a few incidents recently. Last week, I didn't register my little toddler grabbing a vit bottle and playing with it. When I finally realized that's a bad idea she had poured it all over herself and was licking it off her arm (it turned out to be fine. The max that she could have had was still below the toxic level according to the medical advice we got.)

I vowed to be more attentive. Then today she grabbed a knife from the kitchen table and was playing with it till hubby noticed. Luckily nothing happened but I shudder to think about what if something had. Again I vowed to be more attentive and swore I'd never let that happen again (it must have been me who left the knife there). Later in the day she grabbed a peeler from the kitchen table.

These are the recent acute ones. The ones that could have ended really badly. But then there's the fact that I'm neither able to organise her birthday party nor a visit to the dentist. I can't bring decent food to the table (and what if that is why she's such a poor eater and so small and thin). I haven't baby proofed the entire house yet. I'm finding it impossible to get her to nap or go to bed on time and so on..

I can implement stuff to take Klein individually each problem (like the dangerous stuff on the kitchen table) but there will always be something that I'll fail to do or do incorrectly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-12-18), peripatetic (08-13-18)
Old 08-12-18, 04:54 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,832 Times in 7,138 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adhd parents: Does ADHD affect your ability to parent?

ADHD affects everything. Unfortunately, parenting is not an exception. Trying your best to be mindful and learning from mishaps is about the best one can do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-12-18), peripatetic (08-13-18)
Old 08-12-18, 04:59 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

It worries me that I did the same thing twice in one day .. after feeling terrible about it and vowing to change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-12-18), peripatetic (08-13-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-18, 10:23 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
It worries me that I did the same thing twice in one day .. after feeling terrible about it and vowing to change.
It will take time and practice to become a routine. Just try to use those worries to stimulate mindfulness. Use that concern of it happening twice in the same day to help motivate your mind to help avoid doing it again.

Just admitting it, worrying about it and talking about it will help it sink in. The rest is mindfulness motivated by the fear of it happening again. Fear is a great motivator and a powerful way to learn a lesson.

Does it worry you to the point you’re confident it won’t happen again or no?
Fuzzy12 (08-14-18), peripatetic (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 10:20 PM

Thanked 1,202 Times in 904 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Fear is a excellent short term motivator.

But a very bad long term motivator.

Along with what Hound said, have some self compassion for yourself.

I do not think your doing anything out of the norm, children need to be guided constantly, there is no such thing as a perfect parent and it takes a lot of hard work.

My son and I do not like eating vegetables, but we always notice how good it makes us feel when we do.

I found buying different types of frozen vegetables makes things easier for me to prepare.

Keeping things simple is the greatest advice I have ever had..

Example if your daughter is 2 years of age, having a simple birthday party is the easiest/best.

Lowering distresses by keeping things simple, is much more important than keeping up with the Jones.

M
Fuzzy12 (08-14-18)
Old 08-13-18, 11:16 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

Good point, I totally agree. I found out the hard way.

My reference was meant as a short term motivator until new routines can take hold and it becomes a worry of the past.
Fuzzy12 (08-14-18), mildadhd (08-13-18)
Old 08-14-18, 04:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,934 Times in 14,760 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Fuzzy- the judgement calls I have made with my kids have gotten better with age and each kid. But there is no rule book with your first child so its very much trial and error and it depends on the kind of child you have. My first child, my son I had when I was 20. I was newly married and still very much immature. When he was 6 weeks old my husband and I took him out all kinds of places that we had no business taking a newborn. We took him out to an old fashioned club with big band music and let him get passed around by all the old people who wanted to hold him. We took him to movies..we thought "hey he sleeps whenever he wants so why not go out and have some fun if all he was going to do was sleep?" it was crazy when I think about all the germs we exposed him to. But I didnt know any better. I remember placing his own car seat balanced on the grocery cart rather than use the store ones because I didnt want to wake him up. All kinds of things. But guess what? They were bad calls but he is still alive. He made it through even though we were winging it. It got better with each kid. I read all the "what to expect when..." books and no one ever tells you things like.. how to know when he is too young for something, or how to be a couple and still have a relationship while having a newborn with colic. All the books in the world do not prepare you for the everyday decisions and judgement calls you will have to make. I made more mistakes than I can count and my kids are good kids. Even the one who ran away and went to rehab... I can blame myself for bad genetics or I can be realistic and know that my kids were raised well and I did my best.. I do not know if I am making sense but I am trying to.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 01:31 PM

Thanked 1,017 Times in 640 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Can you have a friend come over and help you do a safety scan of items in your home, pretending to be a small child? NB Sorry to hear you had to find out the heard way that things such as vitamins, and knives need to be up high or otherwise out of reach. I also rarely bring home strong cleaning products or use various items in the home, due to having a young child. I even buy those blunt tipped scissors when possible.

I'll never forget when I failed to trim my son's baby fingernails short and he scratched his face, and was bleeding!

I felt like the worst mother ever. OMG, what if he'd clawed at his eyeball, right? =:O

Important not to blame yourself too much. We already have so much guilt and shame with ADHD issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to QueensU_girl For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 03:28 PM

One time when my son was young, I gave him a fork that was so sharp, it fell off his plate and stuck in my big toe, on my birthday, at my birthday party!

M
Fuzzy12 (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 03:35 PM

I think people with ADHD can make great parents.

Many probably over worry, in my opinion.

M
Fuzzy12 (08-14-18), Greyhound1 (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
It will take time and practice to become a routine. Just try to use those worries to stimulate mindfulness. Use that concern of it happening twice in the same day to help motivate your mind to help avoid doing it again.

Just admitting it, worrying about it and talking about it will help it sink in. The rest is mindfulness motivated by the fear of it happening again. Fear is a great motivator and a powerful way to learn a lesson.

Does it worry you to the point you’re confident it won’t happen again or no?
It worries me greatly but I'm not confident it won't happen again..Even if it doesn't what if something else happens because of my absent mindedness? I can't learn each and every thing by trial and error...
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-15-18)
Old 08-14-18, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

Along with what Hound said, have some self compassion for yourself.

I do not think your doing anything out of the norm, children need to be guided constantly, there is no such thing as a perfect parent and it takes a lot of hard work.

My son and I do not like eating vegetables, but we always notice how good it makes us feel when we do.

I found buying different types of frozen vegetables makes things easier for me to prepare.

Keeping things simple is the greatest advice I have ever had..

Example if your daughter is 2 years of age, having a simple birthday party is the easiest/best.

Lowering distresses by keeping things simple, is much more important than keeping up with the Jones.

M
Yes, thank you. I'd love to simplify but even simplifying takes a certain amount of planning, organisation and effort. Though once you have simplified the benefit is huge.

We can't even decide if we should have a simple or a slightly larger birthday party, where simple just refers to the number of people. We'd have liked to book somehwere to reduce cleaning before and after the part but everything is booked out now. I assume. Ijacentevenmade any calls. It's super complicated for so many reasons that I can't even start thinking about it. There's so much else going on as well and I'm stressed and anxious about a million things anyway.

And depressed. I'm getting to a stage where I'm so tired and depressed that it's hard to hide or to do the basic minimum even.
Old 08-14-18, 04:18 PM

Thanked 21,254 Times in 11,386 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It worries me greatly but I'm not confident it won't happen again..Even if it doesn't what if something else happens because of my absent mindedness? I can't learn each and every thing by trial and error...
No! Of course you can not. Try the Missy with a puppy approach!

Before I had Miss R, I raised a couple of Red Doberman pups and I simply, but assuredly, always never left anything anywhere they could reach it. Anywhere. Nothing ever.

If you never, ever leave anything where access can be gained, then all is well. Assuredly. It works.

And when Miss R arrived I continued on the same way except I kept one lower cupboard in the kitchen that was hers.

She never touched anything. And she really loved having her own double cupboard to play in.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 11:08 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
I’m absent minded and forgetful as well. I’m pretty good at not repeating my major mistakes. I usually beat myself up so bad, ruminate and obsess over it for so long it scars me deep enough, I never forget. Very unhealthy.

Now, I try to make notes, leave subtle reminders to myself and try to double check my work. I try to practice mindfulness by asking myself “is there anything you’re forgetting” before I walk out of a room, go to bed, go to work and usually whenever, I go out somewhere.

Gathering my thoughts and having some type of game plan ahead of time if possible really helps me. Trying to think and perform on the run and when I’m put on the spot is when I’m the most absent minded. Anxiety makes it so much more difficult.

Put a sticky note on your shirt, write it on your hand or get a tattoo that says “Ok, what am I forgetting” to help remind you.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 08-15-18 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Typo OCD
Fuzzy12 (08-15-18), Little Missy (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 05:06 PM

Thanked 33,844 Times in 15,309 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i feel you, fuzzy; i do. i am so right there with you. i feel like it'll never be enough and i'm so worried about what might go wrong with her...at least i'm able to focus on her when she's present, but when she's napping or sleeping, all i can think about are the ways she could be hurt physically, emotionally, socially...all of it. i'm just constantly panicking to this point where my psychiatrist has approved my taking up to four mg ativan a day. which is not a small amount, especially considering all of the other **** i'm taking.

Quote:
there will always be something that I'll fail to do or do incorrectly.
the part above really struck me, though. there will always be ways we fail.

*BUT*, and this is equally important for us to hold onto: there will always be ways we succeed...things we "get right"...opportunities to mitigate errors...

my psychiatrist said to me once when i was pregnant, children have grown up healthy despite living in times of war and famine. and that's true. they can survive a lot. in my head she's so fragile because i love her so much that it would be "game over" if i lost her...so i'm terrified of losing her.

that said...we didn't really baby proof. i let her get on playground equipment that's over her age level...my partner freaks out about the scrapes and bruises...i worry she's going to be killed by someone running a stop sign. i think maybe every parent of a small child worries that they might be ******* it all up...and, frankly, i think anyone NOT worried...really ought to be.

try to ground yourself. try to see all of the things you're doing RIGHT. how much you love that little fuzzling, how you succeed (which so often recedes into being background because it's "expected" of you), when...not everyone succeeds as much as we do. not everyone gives a ****. that you do speaks volumes.

anyway, i've been dancing around replying to your post and e is napping, so thought i'd take a stab at it. i think you're doing SO MUCH good/right/best possible...and you need to weigh that when you think about anything negative/you miss, you know?
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-28-18)