ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-17, 09:33 PM

bluebelle is on a distinguished road
Spaciness and confusion issue - can anyone relate?

Hello, all! I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with something that may or may not be ADD.

My attention wanders fairly frequently (at least in comparison to other people)and I go through episodes of confusion. For instance, I zone during long conversations and lose things pretty often. Pertaining to the confusion, I've tried to staple a school paper with a pencil sharpener because they were about the same shape and size, even though I had used them all the time for a couple of years - someone pointed it out before I noticed. I have also walked into the wrong class mid-semester and took 5-10 minutes to figure out why the wrong professor was there. I usually take a long time to write much, from short notes to long papers, because even though I have an idea of what I want to say, it's difficult to verbalize it. While the attention-wandering is just being a little out of it, during the episodes I am quite disoriented and simple tasks become harder. I can't say how often the spaciness and episodes take place, but they have persisted for as long as I can recall. At ten or eleven, my school was considering diagnosing me with ADHD, but decided against it.

I'm a 21-year-old female; I graduated college in December with a bachelor's in psychology and a 3.93 GPA. It might sound like whatever this is hasn't affected me much, but the independent nature of college made handling it a little easier. I live at home and just started my first regular job - it's a call center where I place orders for customers, virtually doing the same simple thing all day, so it doesn't involve much stress or multitasking, neither of which I don't think I handle well. I also don't have my own car because I hate driving so much, since I might zone or have an episode; I have a license (out of pressure to get one), so I can manage in the country but really despise city traffic.

It's very limiting. I would like to have a car in the near future, go to grad school, and at some point have a job that isn't minimum-wage. Currently, I don't know the extent of my capability, with or without this problem. I'm concerned about how to keep the job while dealing with this, but am trying to hold it together until I can get enough money to see a professional.

I want to see a therapist, but am on my parents' insurance and would need to explain where I'm going. I am trying to decide how to broach the topic. Once in high school I mentioned to my mother that I had trouble paying attention in class, and didn't get taken seriously.

If anyone has experience with this kind of attention-drifting and disorientation, even by hearing about it from someone else, or has thoughts to offer about seeing a qualified person of some kind, I would be extremely grateful. It is very frustrating and demoralizing. Thank you so much for reading!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluebelle For This Useful Post:
icantbelive93 (03-24-17), stef (03-24-17), unstableAngel (03-24-17)
Old 03-23-17, 06:11 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all
Re: Spaciness and confusion issue - can anyone relate?

Talk to your parents about what is going on. From what I'm hearing, you have some classic symptoms of ADHD, but I am not a doctor. It sounds like it would certainly be worth it to you to go to a doctor -- particularly a psychiatrist -- and explain to him/her what's going on with you. They're the professional, let them make the diagnosis. If it is ADHD, then I think you'll find the right medication very helpful to you in resolving some of these issues. You're certainly a smart person and have a bright future ahead of you. But talk with your parents, because you're on their insurance, and then find the right doctor to get the help you need. Before seeing a therapist, try the medication first -- if you have ADHD -- maybe you will find that the medication is all you need to help you. Good luck.

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Traveler5 For This Useful Post:
bluebelle (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 09:02 PM

bluebelle is on a distinguished road

Hey Traveler5, I really appreciate your answer. I've wondered if reporting it is worth it because when I read my own description, it sounds terrible, but to me it's very normal because I'm used to it. - I mean that I have wondered if I'm exaggerating it. It also seems sometimes like it might be all in my head (LOL) or I'm not putting out enough effort, but frequently I used to hear that I did not pay attention and couldn't follow directions, so of course others have seen it as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebelle For This Useful Post:
unstableAngel (03-24-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-17, 01:13 AM
Jr Member

TheHammer has a spectacular aura aboutTheHammer has a spectacular aura about

Your issues seem very similar to mine, an ADDer. I totally space out and wonder what happened to me, I used to be fairly "sharp" mentally. Now though things that I've done hundreds of times I sometimes struggle with. At work I have so many "senior moments," I forget things and struggle with simple tasks so much so that my co-workes say I'm "doing it on purpose."
People wonder why I'm so tired all the time and, like you said, it's because simple tasks are mentally taxing to me.
I too have a degree in psychology and went to graduate school for a couple years. I dropped out though. I didn't know then and wasn't treated for ADD. If you can goto graduate school go and do what it takes to finish.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheHammer For This Useful Post:
bluebelle (03-25-17)
Old 03-24-17, 08:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,013 Times in 14,806 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post
Hello, all! I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with something that may or may not be ADD.

My attention wanders fairly frequently (at least in comparison to other people)and I go through episodes of confusion. For instance, I zone during long conversations and lose things pretty often. Pertaining to the confusion, I've tried to staple a school paper with a pencil sharpener because they were about the same shape and size, even though I had used them all the time for a couple of years - someone pointed it out before I noticed. I have also walked into the wrong class mid-semester and took 5-10 minutes to figure out why the wrong professor was there. I usually take a long time to write much, from short notes to long papers, because even though I have an idea of what I want to say, it's difficult to verbalize it. While the attention-wandering is just being a little out of it, during the episodes I am quite disoriented and simple tasks become harder. I can't say how often the spaciness and episodes take place, but they have persisted for as long as I can recall.
Even though this is typical of adhd, I personally would recommend seeing a neurologist just to be sure. Sometimes other things can be brewing below the surface and the reassurance that nothing physical is causing these episodes could be good and also point you more towards adhd. Seriously though disorientation is nothing to mess with.

Quote:
I want to see a therapist, but am on my parents' insurance and would need to explain where I'm going. I am trying to decide how to broach the topic. Once in high school I mentioned to my mother that I had trouble paying attention in class, and didn't get taken seriously.
I know you are on their insurance but what business is it of theirs how you handle your own medical care? Do you currently make your own appointments for illness or checkups? If you do, then making an appointment for something else shouldnt be an issue. And if you are not currently handling your own medical care its time for you to try and handle it because if you do go out on your own you will need to know how to deal with it and navigate the insurance process.

When we deal with parents we are often always in that inferior place we were in childhood. The best parental relationships are when the parents allow the child to grow up and be equal. Its often our own notions that keep us from being grownups, worrying about being disappointments or that old friend Shame- but really leading with your chin has a monumental effect on your self esteem and opens the doors to living in the Spectacular, instead of the ordinary. I'd take 15 minutes of spectacular over a lifetime of nothing special any day.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
bluebelle (03-25-17), Little Missy (03-24-17), stef (03-24-17), TheHammer (03-24-17), unstableAngel (03-24-17)
Old 03-24-17, 09:09 AM

unstableAngel will become famous soon enough

I feel your symptoms are quite common with ADD however sarahsweets brought up a good point as well. I totally understand a family or friend dismiss your symptoms or claim your using it as an excuse. My father & husband thought mental illness was non existant when I was dx with BP..my father actually laughed.:/. Perhaps if you could find a short article on ADD & hope they will read it. I'm so tired of people telling me that if i really wanted to...or tried, it will go away. Anyways sorry to ramble, best of luck to you! <3
bluebelle (03-25-17), icantbelive93 (03-24-17)
Old 03-24-17, 09:40 AM

icantbelive93 is on a distinguished road

You symptoms are common ADHD or ADD symptoms. I can definietly relate to how you feel. It sucks, especially when others don't take you seriously. Maybe show your mom some good info on ADHD that isn't coming from you, like a good book or website on the topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to icantbelive93 For This Useful Post:
bluebelle (03-25-17)
Old 03-25-17, 06:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post

If anyone has experience with this kind of attention-drifting and disorientation, even by hearing about it from someone else, or has thoughts to offer about seeing a qualified person of some kind, I would be extremely grateful. It is very frustrating and demoralizing. Thank you so much for reading!
I do, but these episodes don't affect my ability to drive and in my case severe confusion is often related to dehydration. I zone out all the time and it's been this way since I was a kid. ADD meds definitely helped with that back when I was on medication. I also forget what I was doing mid way relatively often or go to the wrong place, so I can definitely relate.
Rx: 2007-2012: Ritalin LA 30, Ritalin IR 10 X 2; 2013: Daytrana 10; Jan-Jul 2014: Ritalin IR 10mg; Aug 2014: Adderall IR 5mg; Sep 2014: Dex IR 5mg (Barr/Mal); Nov 2015: Zenzedi 5mg; 2016: off meds; Current : Zenzedi 5mg
Dx: 2004: ADHD, 2012: Hyperthyroidism, medication-induced rapid heartbeat/palpitations; 2013: Hashimoto's, PVCs/PACs; 2014: Innocent heart murmur, 2016: Roemheld syndrome and the list goes on and on..