ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-25-16, 06:25 PM

daydreamer99 is on a distinguished road
Moved to Phoenix, been through 3 Doctors and Can't Get Medication

Hi,

I've had ADHD my entire life. I barely graduated from high school because of low grades, but have scored 34 on ACTs and generally recognized as extremely intelligent by all that know me. My senior year of high school, a doctor prescribed me Adderall. My grades immediately shot up to straight A's and I've been successful and managed my ADHD with this medication ever since.

I recently moved to Phoenix, AZ and saw a doctor who said that he did not prescribe Adderall and tried to put me on Stratterra. I informed him that I had wanted to try that medication myself year ago but didn't have luck with it. He sent me home with an Rx of it anyway. I went to a 2nd doctor who gave me info on alternative therapies, but didn't believe in medications for ADHD. Finally went to a third doctor today who gave me Ritalin (another medication I've tried but haven't had much luck with).

I've never had any kind of trouble with my medications or with any pharmacies about receiving Adderall so I know there aren't any red flags or anything for me. I'm just shocked at the fact that nobody will give me the only medication that has ever worked for me. I've been struggling at work for the last two months since I've been here and I'm about out of money from going to all of these doctors because my insurance won't kick in for another 4 months.

Anybody have any advice? Please respond or send me a msg!
Old 04-25-16, 06:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moved to Phoenix, been through 3 Doctors and Can't Get Medication

I got my Adderall prescription from Camelback Family Healthcare (3900 E. Camelback Rd), and they were surprisingly easy about it, so I'll recommend them.

There are numerous doctors/NPs at that practice and they change periodically for some reason. If I remember right, it was Dr. Sonya Lee who originally gave me the prescription, but she actually left that practice recently and I'm not sure where she works now. The other doctors/NPs there haven't given me any trouble though. Well, there's a new one named Dr. Sanders (I think) who made some remarks that made me wonder if she was reluctant to fill the prescription, so you could try to avoid her to be safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-26-16)
Old 04-25-16, 07:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,090 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

day, did you have records from your previous doctor?

I don't understand why a doctor would want you to change to a different med when Adderall has been working well.

Are you seeing doctors in family practice, or are you seeing a psychiatrist?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (08-27-18), namazu (04-26-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-16, 12:47 AM

daydreamer99 is on a distinguished road

Actually none of them have surprisingly mentioned my records. I did offer to have them transferred though. I'm still shocked that this has been such a problem..

Thank you for the recommendation!
The Following User Says Thank You to daydreamer99 For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-26-16)
Old 04-28-16, 04:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Like lunacie said, your records should speak for themselves. IMO you should get your own copy of all your own records so that you never have to hope they get sent to a new doctor on your behalf, you will be able to provide your own copy. You are entitled to these records yourself and you may have to pay a little bit for them. I know in NJ they capped the cost to a certain amount per page or bundle or something like that. Its worth having them yourself though because a- you can read through them and b- you can have them at the ready anytime a doctor doubts or needs proof of former treatment. Having your own records sort of keeps you in the driver's seat.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-28-16, 09:02 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey DD, Assuming you have a good relationship with your last Dr. that was managing your treatment, I would ask him/her for their opinion on how best to proceed. My guess is he/she can talk to one of your physicians or write you an introductory type letter. Even if it bombs, your previous physician may still give you an idea on what to do next. Regards, -LN
Old 04-28-16, 09:06 AM

Thanked 21,524 Times in 11,546 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Records from your previous doc and even your previous pharmacy or take your pill bottles with the prescription on it usually works just fine.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-28-16, 09:08 AM

Thanked 21,524 Times in 11,546 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer99 View Post
Actually none of them have surprisingly mentioned my records. I did offer to have them transferred though. I'm still shocked that this has been such a problem..

Thank you for the recommendation!
Some doctors do not care about another doctor's records and some do.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 08-25-18, 08:21 PM

Jenlchadwick34 is on a distinguished road

I recently moved to Phoenix as well and have been on my ADD medication and Klonopin for severe panic attacks for 10 years. I went to the doctor, she treated me as if I was a crackhead off the street and referred me to a psychiatrist, which will hold me back from my RN degree. I should have NEVER MOVED HERE. My health is more important than this state. She gave me my ADD meds but refused to give me my klonopin, when I advised her I have one refill left of my klonopin, as I take it on an very as needed basis, she told me my refill was void. What? I did refill my klonopin because my fear of everything will hold me back from the life I’ve been living, free of free and able to maintain employment without procrastination or being fired for not getting my work done. I’ve decided screw Phoenix I will take a flight back to my doctor in Charlotte once every three months, my real doctor, unlike these incompetent doctors here are amazing and do NOT treat you like your a crackhead off the street. Shame on this state!!
Old 08-27-18, 03:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Unfortunately, there are some doctors who just don't believe in ADHD meds for adults. You'll find some in Arizona, and you'll find some in any other state.
Old 08-27-18, 04:34 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Unfortunately, there are some doctors who just don't believe in ADHD meds for adults. You'll find some in Arizona, and you'll find some in any other state.
I suspect that it's not just some doctors, but most doctors in some states that are like this.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Old 08-27-18, 07:49 PM

Joshadn is on a distinguished road

Being someone who has been without insurance many times on meds. You could ask your old doctor to refill it for you if needed. I had to do that with my BP meds for some time since I could not go see a new doctor. I have done this with living in another state for over a year before. So this maybe worth a shot for you.