ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-20-17, 04:46 PM

allesandro1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Discussing Mental health issues at work

I don't know, that's a good question. I wouldn't volunteer it without a reason. I mean if you have to because you need special accommodations, that's one thing. But otherwise, I'd leave it alone
Old 12-06-17, 08:07 PM

NightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the rough

It's a very good question, and something that I've considered myself from time to time.
I think the only time I would divulge that information to management is in the event that I was given a particular task or assignment that is outside my normal duties, and I would have extreme difficulty with. I might even try it anyway, and if there was a problem with my efforts, I could explain that I did my best with it, given my particular skills.
Otherwise, nobody needs to know.
Old 12-07-17, 03:10 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of

I'm a co-owner and general manager of a garden center/nursery business, so I interact/assess/etc. with my employees constantly. I maintain good communication with them and encourage them to come talk with me about any issues they have. I use that information to help them succeed and I can understand what their functional limits are.

I'm not afraid to disclose my own personal limitations as well, so most of my team knows I have terrible ADHD as well as other limits. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of employers are understanding how to work with the person.

Had one of my sales girls finally approach me to discuss her severe panic attacks and anxiety, so I sat down with her and we figured out a plan that would make the days less stressful amongst many other small changes on BOTH ends. Now she's able to perform the tasks we need done, is learning better and whenever there's an issue, I'm informed.

Just thought I would throw in my perspective. Good employers will work with you, not against you.

I don't know, I just work here.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pamplemousse For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-07-17), Little Missy (12-07-17), midnightstar (12-07-17), namazu (12-07-17), NightKnight (12-07-17), peripatetic (12-07-17), PoppnNSailinMan (12-09-17), ToneTone (12-13-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-17, 02:39 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
I'm a co-owner and general manager of a garden center/nursery business, so I interact/assess/etc. with my employees constantly. I maintain good communication with them and encourage them to come talk with me about any issues they have. I use that information to help them succeed and I can understand what their functional limits are.

I'm not afraid to disclose my own personal limitations as well, so most of my team knows I have terrible ADHD as well as other limits. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of employers are understanding how to work with the person.

Had one of my sales girls finally approach me to discuss her severe panic attacks and anxiety, so I sat down with her and we figured out a plan that would make the days less stressful amongst many other small changes on BOTH ends. Now she's able to perform the tasks we need done, is learning better and whenever there's an issue, I'm informed.

Just thought I would throw in my perspective. Good employers will work with you, not against you.
Yes but you have the benefit of being the manager.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.