ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-05-09, 04:29 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about
Vyvanse vs. Adderall XR

Hi All,

-I would like straight up answers on the exact difference between these two medications (Adderall XR) & (Vyvanse). The reason that I am asking is because teva/barr released generic Adderall XR for distribution this past Wednesday. Now, I am afraid that the generic version of Adderall XR is going to be crappy.

-My pdoc writes the script out for Adderall XR name brand, but my insurance pays for the generic version (not to say they won't pay for name brand as well) they just try to save me money.

-I don't care about the money saving part. I want my health to be top notch.

-I am asking this question in case I notice that Vyvanse could be a better option since Shire is letting the Adderall XR slip away into the hands of other manufacturers, so at the same time Shire can push Vyvanse into the drivers seat.

-Please explain differences/similarities in side effects, drug chemistry, etc. because I can get better answers from personal experiences rather than researching on the internet.

Thank You,

Twinch
Old 04-07-09, 03:48 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Vyvanse vs. Adderall XR

As I understand it, the main difference is that Vyvanse is a pro-drug, which means it is inactive until it is digested. It takes about 1.5 hours to kick in. This makes it almost impossible to abuse because you can't crush it and snort it. Well, you can, but that won't do anything except make your nose itch.

Vyvanse is supposed to last longer than Adderall XR, but it rarely does. Most people can feel it wear off after about 6-7 hours, as opposed to the 12 hours that Shire advertises.

As far as I know, Shire is not letting Adderall XR slip away so they can market Vyvanse instead. It's the other way around. The patent on Adderall XR is about to expire, which means Shire no longer owns the rights to it. So they're pushing Vyvanse as their new flagship product because they need something to replace Adderall XR. Basically, Adderall XR is being taken away from Shire against their will.

I've never tried Adderall XR, but I tried Vyvanse and hated it. I experienced debilitating crashes on it, which became more intense over time, until I was left with no benefits and a crash period that lasted all day and into the next morning. That said, not everyone responds to Vyvanse that way. Some people love it. It all depends on your unique body chemistry.
Old 04-07-09, 11:18 PM

Sehnsucht is on a distinguished road
Generic Adderall XR vs Vyvanse

Just release last Wendsday? Thats odd I got mine a week before that. Also had NO CLUE that my new ins. had automatically dictated the generic. Until generic XR has been on the market for a year or two then Id avoid it at all costs. My experience w/generic XR-one of the absoloute worst drugs Ive ever put into my body. Im going as far as calling generic XR-POISON-. I know ppl are different but holy hell this stuff was awful! Nothing but a 6-8 hour crash every time. It was SO BAD I was swaying around like I had drank a bottle of liquor.

I have no idea what the chemical difference btwn brand and generic is but it IS different! Ive been taking XR practically since it came out so I feel pretty strongly that somethings waaaaaaay different. I dont believe for a SECOND that the generic is the same as the brand. Itll go through a few reformulations just watch. Since I can no longer afford 400 dollars a month for brand then my XR days are over. This was the WORST experience Ive ever had from any med out of all the meds Ive ever taken.

So bad that I voluntarily flushed over half a months worth and never want to see it again. Ill be going on Vyvanse in about a week and cant wait. Any questions Id be more than happy to answer them. Im still trying to put my head back together nearly a couple weeks later.

Meds-Adderall IR up to 60mgs/day as necessary

Ive got a bottle of IR sitting nearly untouched because of this experience and no I wasnt taking them at all through this experience.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-09, 09:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

For the time being the generic XR capsules are actually made by Shire but have different logos on them.
Old 04-17-09, 02:40 AM

Sehnsucht is on a distinguished road

Ive read many times about how even though both the brand and generic come off the same assembly line the generics are still put together using cheaper chemicals, skipping process that the brand takes etc. Ive found this to be true the hard way more than once with different manufacturers. Im no chemist but theres got to be something different.

Also, before I flushed my supply of poison, I took apart every capsule to make sure nobody would pull any floaters of this worthless crap out of the sewage/drainage. Gross I know but it happens. What I noticed is that unlike brand XR where all the beads are a uniform size, the generic was all of uneven size. Some smaller than brand some larger than brand. Many beads were odd shapes and not the perfect beads that you get with the brand. Good god I wish I would've taken pics now.

I told the Walgreens that I get my meds from about it and to my surprise they actually put some kind of "alert" or something on my claims. I LOVE my Walgreens! Apparently Im not the first to complain. Am watching this very very closely. Avoid if you can. If you cant as in my situation by all means switch to the IR.

Any other experiences with the new generic XR out there?