ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-02-11, 05:18 AM

BillyV is on a distinguished road
Issues with Job and over sleeping or not sleeping at all

Hey all,
So I am new here and posted my New Member Introduction here.

First of all, I will be talking to my psych about this next week, but figured I would get your opinions on this first

So every once in a while (about once a year or so) I notice I go through extreme sleep changes, I may not be able to sleep for 2 days at a time, then will fall asleep and sleep through anything, phone calls, alarms you name it. The rest of the time I have no issues at all, usually it only lasts a few weeks, however this time it seems to not be stopping.

The thing with my job is that I do a lot of programming, and when I get involved in something, it doesn't matter what I do I can't fall asleep. I will lay in bed tv off with my gf sleeping right beside me all night. I finally gave up on doing that and noticed that if I can get to a stopping point sometimes it helps and I can fall asleep.

I have tried over the counter sleeping aids and they don't seem to work.

The issue is now, I missed a meeting on Wed, just over slept and got written up for it. Then today (I was scheduled to work from home), they called me with a major issue and I didnt wake up from the calls. I did wake up for work. However as lenient as my job has been, I know they are unhappy about this.

I tend to work close to 80hrs most of the time, which I really do enjoy. But I am not sure where to go with this now.

Anyone have any tips?
Old 04-02-11, 06:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Saito is a jewel in the roughSaito is a jewel in the roughSaito is a jewel in the rough
Re: Issues with Job and over sleeping or not sleeping at all

I know the feeling... when you're dug in to a problem you're not stopping until you solved it.

The following works for me:

- Set a bedtime for yourself. Childish? Maybe but now I actually get 8 hours of sleep every night and that helps really helps so much!

- Take more breaks while working. There are a lot of applications that will help you with this notifying you to take a break. I have found that taking regular breaks actually improves my productivity A LOT.

- I do this at home as well. I only allow a maximum of 2 hours of work in the evening. That gives me time for myself and my social life and puts my mind at ease before going to sleep.

In The Netherlands we use the name ADD instead of ADHD-PI. I apologize for any confusion this may cause.
Old 04-08-11, 12:22 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

buggie is just really nicebuggie is just really nicebuggie is just really nicebuggie is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyV View Post
Hey all,
So I am new here and posted my New Member Introduction here.

First of all, I will be talking to my psych about this next week, but figured I would get your opinions on this first

So every once in a while (about once a year or so) I notice I go through extreme sleep changes, I may not be able to sleep for 2 days at a time, then will fall asleep and sleep through anything, phone calls, alarms you name it. The rest of the time I have no issues at all, usually it only lasts a few weeks, however this time it seems to not be stopping.

The thing with my job is that I do a lot of programming, and when I get involved in something, it doesn't matter what I do I can't fall asleep. I will lay in bed tv off with my gf sleeping right beside me all night. I finally gave up on doing that and noticed that if I can get to a stopping point sometimes it helps and I can fall asleep.

I have tried over the counter sleeping aids and they don't seem to work.

The issue is now, I missed a meeting on Wed, just over slept and got written up for it. Then today (I was scheduled to work from home), they called me with a major issue and I didnt wake up from the calls. I did wake up for work. However as lenient as my job has been, I know they are unhappy about this.

I tend to work close to 80hrs most of the time, which I really do enjoy. But I am not sure where to go with this now.

Anyone have any tips?
I've been pretty much the same way for the past several years (I was never like this until I was about 26). I've never slept right through something when I had to be there (I have delayed getting up enough to the point of being late). Usually if I know I have somewhere to be early in the morning I'm more likely to not sleep at all because I'm anxious about getting up early.

Now that I am unemployed and don't usually have to be somewhere specific at a specific time, I can't seem to get myself up for anything. I don't understand it. I can be in bed by 11, asleep by 11:30 and I'll sleep through 2 alarms until 11:30am. It drives me crazy because I still have things to do and it wastes too much time.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-11, 03:04 AM

cam. is on a distinguished road

Hey BillyV,

I'm new too , been struggling with exactly the same thing - same deal with work as well: they're tolerant, but it's pretty bad to be turning up late all the time and you just get frustrated at yourself.

The two things that I've found the best with getting consistency with sleep is exercise and routine.

Saito hit the nail on the head with the setting a bed time - We all know how hard it is to get solid routines with anything with ADHD, and sleep is no exception. You need to train your body for a a while to know when it's time to sleep and when its time to wake up. Its pretty hard, and the meds can make it worse as well. I'm trying to get myself squared away with this at the moment, and its tough, especially the waking up bit - I've been late to work about 3 times this week.........FAIL

Exercise does a world of good as well. I'll find such a big difference to a)getting to sleep/waking up b)quality of sleep c)need for sleep when I'm exercising more. If you see your psych, I'm sure they'll tell you this straight off the top, and it's pretty well documented that regular exercise has really beneficial effects not only on sleep, but also on ADHD and other conditions such as Bipolar (many of which are comorbid with ADHD).

Regarding sleep meds, I find the OTC ones pretty useless (any hyped up ADHDer is no match for any of that). In terms of prescriptions, its worth checking out with your psych/gp. My personnel experience with diazepam type meds, xanax, etc was that they either did nothing or made me feel groggy which didn't help with the waking up issues. Alternatively, Melatonin (which I already hyped in the men's forum once today ) is something I've found pretty awesome - especially giving the fact that it is often used specifically for restoring sleep patterns. My sleep has felt a lot better and natural with it - now I've just gotta get the discipline thing right! It's a naturally occurring hormone that your brain makes when its dark, and has very minimal side effects. I know it does nothing for some people, but something else to consider with your gp/psych. Look it up on the interwebs for more info.

Hope some of that is useful, and good luck!!
Old 04-08-11, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

Il-Miġnun has disabled reputation

Ever tried going for a midnight run?