ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 05-25-11, 11:26 AM
Forum Guru

AshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to behold
Dealing with Insomia/Nocturnal sleeping and Education.

How do you do it?

It's one of my main issues. I can get a good sleeping pattern for say 3-4 days, but i'll just have one night where i can't sleep and end up sleeping about 6am, thus messing up my entire sleeping pattern which results in me missing lectures and tutorials for a week until i can get it back on track again.

Even when i wake up, i feel like i've not slept. I'm a terrible person to get up unless it's something really really important - aka, if i don't get up, i'll be affecting someone else. Affecting someone else/letting someone down is probably the only thing that gets me up.

I also am very much so a night person - I just wake up at night time. It doesn't matter if i've been awake and busy since 6am, it reaches 8pm and i just wake up - the fog that i go around with during the day seems to thin and i feel the need to procrastinate less.

The problem with having sleeping tablets is of course doctors won't prescribe long-term. The thing is I'd only want them for those nights that I can't sleep at all.

I've only just got my diagnosis and apparently strict routines work. The main problems come at weekends - If i don't have to get out of bed, i won't. And then everything messes up. I think i need to find something constructive at the weekends to stop this.

But yeah, any suggestions ?
Old 05-25-11, 11:46 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dealing with Insomia/Nocturnal sleeping and Education.

Hey AshT. Probably everyone on here (except for NTs) could relate to this. I take Melatonin (3mgs) when I have a difficult time falling asleep. I don't live in the UK, but they are not something you need a prescription for in the U.S. Benadryl is also helpful and is over-the-counter.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
AshT (05-25-11)
Old 05-25-11, 01:17 PM
Forum Guru

AshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Hey AshT. Probably everyone on here (except for NTs) could relate to this. I take Melatonin (3mgs) when I have a difficult time falling asleep. I don't live in the UK, but they are not something you need a prescription for in the U.S. Benadryl is also helpful and is over-the-counter.
Hey, thanks for the reply . Yeah i found out it's an ADHD thing with some research and speakling to my Mum who is also diagnosed ADHD =).

I've tried Melatonin however I have the triple strength 10mg ones lol...and i think they make me even more drowsey when i wake up. I might give the lower dose ones a go.
The Following User Says Thank You to AshT For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (05-25-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-11, 01:35 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, you might have to do some experimenting. I find that wearing myself out helps. Have you tried exercise not right before bedtime but maybe a few hours? This helped me a lot in the past.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
AshT (05-26-11)
Old 05-26-11, 12:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Prescription sleep aids are the only thing I've found that come close to combatting my chronic insomnia. I've been taking Ambien for eight years. I suppose it's not ideal, and people might jump all over me for saying that, but it works for me.
Old 05-26-11, 08:42 AM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

I've had insomnia since I was a little kid. Nothing over the counter works on it's own.

Over the years I've tried various prescriptions: ambien, sonata, clonodine, trazadone, doxepin, and am currently prescribed remeron (mirtazapine). The mirtazapine worked pretty well until recently, ocassionally requiring a third to a half a doxylamine succinate tablet (OTC Unisom) as well. Lately, I've been taking half to 2/3 a doxylamine tablet, 1mg of melatonin, as well as the mirtazapine, and its kind of working..still take a long time to fall asleep, but *do* fall asleep...but tend to wake up before I need to for some reason....that was always my problem with melatonin, it will get me to sleep, but only for a short time, less than half an hour, and then I'm wide awake again.
Old 05-26-11, 10:56 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Yea, you might have to do some experimenting. I find that wearing myself out helps. Have you tried exercise not right before bedtime but maybe a few hours? This helped me a lot in the past.
Hey,
Yeah i had thought about it but it's quite hard to fit in with studying. If i work out too much, i'm too tired for the evening to do work =(.