ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 06-19-11, 09:27 AM

MedStudent82 has a spectacular aura aboutMedStudent82 has a spectacular aura about
Does Anyone Feel a Difference Between Adderall and Dexedrine?

Hey, I am curious about dexedrine and how it is different from Adderall. I've tried Adderall and also the MPH family so far (Ritalin/Focalin). There's a marked difference in the two for me. Adderall is the only one that makes me able to get up and shift gears, prioritize with mind-numbing ease, and helps me stay active. I also am slow-to-think on it, which is the only downside. Focalin/Ritalin allow me to think faster/more clearly, but I linger SO much on little stuff all the time it's disconcerning. I'm also very non-active on them (no desire to excersize/work out like I normally do).

I'm wondering if anyone feels a difference between Dexedrine and Adderall, because I want to give the amp family another shot, but I'm not convinced there is a big difference. I'm particularly interested in knowing if anyone felf a difference in mental processing speed/cognitive performance between the two? Long shot, but I'm curious to know.

Does anyone feel a difference? Thanks!
Old 06-21-11, 03:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

relax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Does Anyone Feel a Difference Between Adderall and Dexedrine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedStudent82
Hey, I am curious about dexedrine and how it is different from Adderall.
Due to how the different amphetamine salts in Adderall are metabolized, Adderall was initially intended to be (when compared to d,l-amphetamine, d-amphetamine, and d,l methylphenidate) longer lasting, smoother, and the crash is supposed to be milder. Dexedrine is slightly more potent on the central nervous system than Adderall. Adderall may carry more physical side effects because of its inclusion of racemic amphetamine, whereas Dexedrine tends to have less physical side effects because it only consists of dextrorotatory amphetamine. Adderall is more robust than Dexedrine, but they are both good medications for ADHD.

Dextroamphetamine Sulfate IR & ER (Dexedrine) are ranked the best for ADHD according to "Consumer Reports" compared to all the other ADHD drugs (stimulant and non-stimulant).

After all that being said, it really boils down to how the patient tolerates the drug.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to relax21 For This Useful Post:
BMitch (01-03-14), buddy (06-21-11), purpletexasgal (11-17-11), StoicNate (06-21-11), tigerbeat (07-16-11)
Old 06-21-11, 04:26 PM

junkmale is on a distinguished road

Well, BARR is the only Dexedrine option right now. And from GSK to BARR, the one thing that stands out is focus is OK but processing speed still remains the same. Eg, slow when compared to non-adder's.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-11, 04:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

In the past I've been on Adderall & I'm presently on Dexedrine.Relax really covered most everything, but I just wanted to say that I much prefer the Dexedrine over Adderall.It seems to come on smoothly & the comedown is very smooth also.This is just my opinion & I've been on the Dexedrine for over 5yrs.Whereas I was only on the Adderall for about 6mos.Good luck!
Old 06-28-11, 03:14 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

I feel that Dexedrine is better than Adderall. I am not myself when I have taken Adderall. For me the side effect profile of Adderall is greater than that of Dexedrine just as relax21 explains.
Old 06-28-11, 04:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

babidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What is levoamphetamine?

Answer:

Levoamphetamine is a stimulant of the sympathetic nervous system. Its found in most amphetamine preparations, such Adderall or Benzedrine (with the exception of Dexedrine). In layman's terms, there are two different types of the molecule amphetamine, levo and dextro. Dextroamphetamine, being a central nervous system stimulant, is typically associated with the "positive" or therapeutic effects of amphetamine (mental stimulation/alertness, increased confidence, decreased drowsiness/appetite). Levoamphetamine, being a sympathetic nervous system stimulant, is mostly responsible for the adverse side effcts of amphetamine, which can become worse over a period of prolonged use, in some cases even once tolerance begins to develop.
Levoamphetamine causes sweating, racing/irregular heartbeat (tachycardia), "jumpiness" or "jitters", and cotton mouth in some users. Although levoamphetamine has not been proven to have any therapeutic potential, it is still prescribed heavily by doctors for the treatment of ADD/ADHD in the form of Adderall, which is a preparation of four amphetamine salts, two of them being pure dextroamphetamine and the others being racemic (meaning they contain about equal amounts of both dextro- and levo-amphetamine). Dexedrine and its different brand-name equivalents (dextrostat, vyvnase, etc.), are the only amphetamine-based medications that contain only pure dextroamphetamine sulfate and are generally more well-tolerated than other stimulants largely due to the absence of levoamphetamine.
Source:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_levoamphetamine

Take that Adderall users!
The Following User Says Thank You to babidi For This Useful Post:
BMitch (01-03-14)
Old 07-04-11, 10:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

hanzsolo is on a distinguished road

I find Dexedrine much smoother than adderall. I can think and process information better, the comedown is smoother, and there is less physical stimulation..

I also like the fact that the Dexedrine is IR so I can time my doses properly. I'm in Canada and we don't have adderall IR. I'm not a fan of XR meeds in general.
Old 07-04-11, 10:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Notafadd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmale View Post
Well, BARR is the only Dexedrine option right now. And from GSK to BARR, the one thing that stands out is focus is OK but processing speed still remains the same. Eg, slow when compared to non-adder's.
I've seen a lot of negative comments about Barr/Teva dex, but being new to this I'm not going to know the difference. I'm curious though, are the extended release dex (spansules?) the same brand and same quality? I will see my pdoc tomorrow and at our last meeting he said that if the dex works out, he'd like me to try the extended release. I'm not a fan of ER meds so far, but I am curious about the difference between brands.

Like you say, focus is ok but processing speed is only a tad better, I suppose. Ritalin, I thought, was better in that regard. I like dex and want to continue with it a bit longer before I decide to try something else. So, the ER? Better or the same as IR?