ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-05-11, 04:28 PM

MommytoCaleb is on a distinguished road
Difference between Adderall XR generic and brand name?

I see there's been alot of discussion about the difference between brand name and generic IR. Is there a difference between XR brand name and generic? My son is 10, he was on 5mg XR, I had it filled at Riteaid for months and they always gave us the generic. His new prescription is for 10mg XR, I had it filled at the military pharmacy and they gave my brand name. Has anyone noticed a difference between the two? I know obviously that his dosage went up, I'm concerned if the brand name works better than the generic, that 10 might be too much for him. Does that make sense? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-11, 05:18 PM

ScrambledSpunky is on a distinguished road
Re: Difference between Adderall XR generic and brand name?

There is a difference between brand and genetic with ir, but not with xr. Xr generics are considered "authorized generic" which means that they are made by the same manufacturer and are the exact same thing as brand name. Ir generics on the other hand are made by several companies and can differ significantly.
Old 10-06-11, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

Urgezz will become famous soon enough
Re: Difference between Adderall XR generic and brand name?

adderall xr is being phased out by Shire as the drug of choice. don't be surprised if your son gets switched to vyvanse sometime soon. IMO, it kind of lives up to the pro-drug hype: its smoother onset (though some people report a worse come down), more evenly distributed effect throughout the day (no peaks and valleys), isn't affected by meal schedule or composition, and can't be abused through crushing, snorting, parachuting, etc. (requires digestive process to be converted into the active dextroamphetamine molecule)

.... but it's brand name and therefore more expensive than generic. if you have military grade health insurance, youll have no issues im sure.
Sponsored Links