ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-30-04, 10:32 PM

shdac is on a distinguished road
What is the difference?

I have been taking Adderall XR 20mgs for about 2 weeks now and it works good but not great. It made me very calm at first but now I get slightly irritable with it. It does help me concentrate and think better but I don't have much energy. I just started taking the generic 10mgs regular release yesterday around 4pm when the XR wears off and I notice a really big difference. The generic seems to work excellent. My question being is the generic stronger or does this mean 20 mgs is too strong and 10mgs is more effective for me or is it the difference between the XR and the regular release?

Confused?
Old 12-30-04, 11:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Your not the only one... with questions like these I find the best answer's come from my pharmacist. But, you may luck out with a member who just so happens to have your answer Good Luck!!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 12-30-04, 11:37 PM

Thanks Tomorrow I'm going to open it up and take a little out and sprinkle the rest on applesauce to see if the dose is the difference.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-04, 11:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Ummm you could be playing a dangerous game...If it should work better for you tommorrow and you decide to repeat the process you will not be getting the same amount of med with each dose. Raising and lowering dosages can not only be hard on you but your body will have a hard time adjusting. Please, call your pharmacist or prescriber of the med and discuss the difference's and ask if there is a reason and what can be done. Good luck and remember there is no shame in asking.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 01-01-05, 04:49 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Sprinkling the dose on food is fine for time release gel-cap medications. Th gel cap melts almost instantly in the stomach anyway. The difference you may notice from time release vs regular release is due to the fact that the little beads are going to be dissolving at slightly different times, 4 hours later, so the release will be more gradual and less noticable than a regular release tablet. At least that's what I would think would be happening(?)
Old 01-01-05, 07:42 PM

Yeah, the beads dissolving at different times makes sense. I did sprinkle it on applesauce this morning but I didn't lower the dose. It worked better. I will wait to see my prescriber.
Old 01-01-05, 08:46 PM

illini is on a distinguished road
From my experience, adderall xr lasts an extremely offensively long time. Yeah it works great at first, but then, it starts going south on you.

I always wondered why, so I did some tests on myself and I discovered that adderall just lasts a really really really really long time. I totally, and categorically disagree with every and anyone who says differently.

The more I read everyones posts the more I am convinced at how correct I am. There is a graph put out by shire, the makers of adderall, that shows adderall vs adderall xr. The graph shows adderall xr lasting past 48 hours.

The positive affects of adderall do not last very long and it's very 'phased' as I like to call it. You feel great, then you feel withdrawn, then you feel hyper (like you feel like you need more adderall but you don't), then you feel sleepy, and then back up again and then down again, etc.

I found that if I took heavy doses of adderall one week I would totally feel negative side affects 2 weeks later, like really bad. I started taking weekends off to try to counteract it but it didnt' matter, adderall trumps all.

Agree, disagree, don't care. Try taking a week off and see what you feel, actually take 2 weeks off before responding and watch your symptoms closely.

I was all the way up to 60mg/day, and at first it was awesome. But then I realized that the more I took the worse I felt, much like what everyone here is experiencing.

Some people may experiencing things a little bit differently, but not many, in fact an extremely few will experience anything different than what I have described. Based on statistics and how much of a part they play in designing medications there are not many varying experiences.

I found that I got the best results of adderall with less. IMO, less is more when it comes to adderall.

Best Regards,

Scott
Old 01-02-05, 11:29 PM

fuzzybaffy is on a distinguished road
illini, I think I can relate to your experiences with Adderall XR. It's weird, how I felt better on the days that I missed a dose - I felt more refreshed and more focussed!

Do you suspect that the same applies to the immediate release of Adderall?
Old 01-03-05, 12:03 AM

illini is on a distinguished road
Fuzzy,

Absolutely, it's the same drug, it's just that some of the bb's are immediate release and the other bb's are like wax coated so that they 'time' release or the stomach acid eats away at the wax until it's release - 4 hours later.

I HATED taking adderall that close together. It was the worst. I always like maintaining 5 -5 1/2 hours in between doses. 6 hours was a bit strange, and 4 - 4 1/2 was still too close together. Yes adderall, IMO, is that phased and that odd that minutes matter and knowing how to 'sense' those phases and 'where you are at' on adderall can make all the difference between good and bad experiences on adderall.

It's true. I spent 5 years of daily, weekly, monthly, constantly trying to find that perfect mixture of adderall to give me 100% best affect 100% of the time, and I just couldn't find it.

I did however discover that the less I took the better it helped. I say this because even water can kill you so not always is more better at all.

But people get like 'oh but I just can't concentrate at only 3.5 - 4.5mg twice a day, I need to be up at 20 - 30mg 2xday' - been there done that and it was horrible, absolutely horrible. My social abilities were completely shot after doing that for a couple of months.

Hey right now I am 2 weeks and 2 days since my last dose of 2.5mg and I was still feeling the affects the med, well I am still feeling the affects, that's how powerful adderall is.

Yeah, but Scott, everyone is different. Not that different I hate to tell you. The lastest cholestoral lower medication was pulled because it increased the chance of heart problems in something like 1 in a million to 2 in a million. It was something statistically extremely small but to investors it was huge and subsequently it was pulled. That's why I don't think peoples experiences with adderall are all that different at all, I really don't, it is statistically virtually impossible.

Best of luck,

Scott