ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-04, 11:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

streetsk8er794 is on a distinguished road
ADDult REALLY needs some guidance.... (feeling self conscious)

I am not sure what I have that coinsides with my ADHD, but I'm confident that you smart people should be able to help me out on this one. I'm always worrying what other people are thinking of me. It used to be that I really didnt even care. But lately, I've been caring a lot. When I walk into a room with lots of people, I always think they're focusing on me. Also, I am afraid to go on dates because I worry it wont go well or I will have nothing to say. Does anyone know what kind of mental disease I have, and will it go away with ADHD meds? Or does it need to be treated with seperate meds? I really appreciate your help guys. Without you, a community I feel I can relate to instead of feeling like a freak, I might not be here right now. So thank you!

Last edited by streetsk8er794; 08-12-04 at 11:33 PM..
Old 08-12-04, 11:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
Argorama...
I think maybe you just have a severe case of self-consciousness...something that takes time, reprogramming your mind, and lots of patience...I've dealt with this myself....ack
Old 08-12-04, 11:43 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,073 Times in 579 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Sure sounds alot like low self-esteem. Goes hand in hand with ADHD. Lots have it...as do I. It takes time, perhaps some coaching or therapy. Don't beat yourself up over it...just be patient with yourself, and know that you CAN get through this.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-04, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Even when in the weight room working out in my wife beater, even though I'm big and ripped, I'm still thinking the same things. I am also pretty good looking, and have a good personality. I just don't get how just having ADHD which seems pretty simple, lowers your self-esteem so much. I guess it ISNT so simple after all...
Old 08-12-04, 11:56 PM

GeminiChick is on a distinguished road
It sounds as though you just have a bad case of low self-esteem which is natural when you don't know whether you're coming or going! I have fought this all my life...feeling like people are watching my every move and talking about it behind my back.

It was really bad - I couldn't even converse comfortably in a large group of friends - until just a few years ago when I purposely put myself in a high-profile (on a small scale) position in order to get over it. Yes, I was *terrified* of doing something stupid or being made a fool of, but gradually, the talking to groups of people got easier and I became more confident of my ability to accomplish small goals. Of course, I've always been one to eventually take matters into my own hands, whether advised or not, and you might not be. So if forcing yourself to become more confident isn't something you think you could do, maybe a coach or therapist could help you. I wouldn't rely on only medication as this is the type of change that needs to come from within.

I still have my moments of feeling like the whole world is waiting for me to make a mistake, but they are much more rare...and I like the feeling of being able to approach a group of strangers and feel comfortable talking to them.
Old 08-13-04, 03:30 AM
Contributor

Sc@tterBr@in_UK has disabled reputation
Social anxiety (worrying about/focussing what others may think of you) seems quite common with ADDers.

[Diagnosed HFA/AS 'with considerable attentional dysfunction in December 2003]
Old 08-13-04, 07:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

sam is on a distinguished road
hey streetsk8er794, guessing by your name you skate.

I have a pretty low self-esteem and had many of the same worries that you do. I am, also, a skater :-). Have been for many years and was one of the few things I could do in public areas without always fearing that people are judging me. About a two or three years ago, I just started visualising going to parties or gatherings the same as a skatepark. Ever notice how when you're skating, you seem so caught up on trying the get the most air possible or landing a trick that you've been working on for weeks that you don't notice the other people or let alone care what they think?

For me, seeing a lot of people is like trying to master a trick. It looks stupid if you don't land it, but man it feels great when you do. Just gotta hang in there until you get it right :-) Buuuut enough with the skateboard analogies.

I know I didn't reallty answer your question (as there are far more qualified people on this board than I) but maybe my experience/example might help you out a bit
Old 08-15-04, 10:10 PM

wasted is on a distinguished road
i obviously cannot diagnose you with anything, but whether you have this or not, you have similar symtoms to social anxiety disorder. it depends on how extreme/debilitating your fears are. people that have the same kinds of fears you have, but also have severe anxiety when in social situations (manifests in ways such as panic attacks, sweating, increased heart rate, etc) have social anxiety disorder ("SAD"). anti-depressants like paxil have been used to treat SAD but i don't know how effective they are. I was diagnosed with this a few years ago, went on paxil and it didn't help with my anxiety. Since then, however, I have gotten a little better with Prozac, and also, at first Adderall helped with my social anxiety (not so much anymore though, unfortunately). I don't know what causes this, but like everyone else said, it sounds like you have reall bad self-esteem (you're not alone).

i isolate myself all the time and have no friends anymore, so i know that if you are doing the same you must feel very lonely i feel lonely even when i am not alone -- i seem to feel the worst when i am in a room full of people. also really makes my add symptoms worse because of all the noise. too much "stimulation"!

i'm sorry you are feeling so down on yourself. i'm sure you're a really nice guy and people like you more than you know.
Old 08-16-04, 05:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

well it used to be that i made comments during class and everyone thought i was hilarious. But, I also got my work done. Lately, ive been thinking of really clever things i could say, but am afraid what people will think of me. I dont know if i really have social anxiety. I dont sweat, or turn red or anything, im just cautious and have to think about what to say, especially with women. When i took adderall it seemed to help alot. But, when i took klonopin, i wasnt afraid to say anything, i just didnt feel like my normal happy self, so i difnt really feel like talking to people. I think stimulants might be the drug of choice for me.