ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-18, 04:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,240 Times in 936 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Do you like roller coaster rides?

Hi, I was wonder how many people who have AD(H)D, like roller coaster rides?

M
Old 10-18-18, 04:44 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,707 Times in 10,417 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you like roller coaster rides?

I used to, as a kid. It's been many years since the last time I was at an amusement park, though.

Do you / did you enjoy roller coasters?
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
I used to, as a kid. It's been many years since the last time I was at an amusement park, though.

Do you / did you enjoy roller coasters?
No. I HATE roller coasters or anything alike, never been interested in any of these types of adrenaline rush at all.

(Although I have self medicated with different substances since at least the age of 10)

I get nauseous on swings at the playground, and nausea has worsened as get I get older, now I can't even swing once.

Not sure if explains or has anything to do with my AD(H)D?

M
namazu (10-18-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-18, 05:33 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,266 Times in 5,372 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

I love them. I like the design and hills of that old wooden coasters (though my neck hates the jerkiness of them).

I am an anxious fraidy cat in real life but the controlled lack of control of the coaster is a good adrenaline rush.

When I was younger I had sensory integration therapy. I used to be able to spin and spin and never get dizzy. One of my exercises was to use a sit and spin and spin until my eyes jerked (typical response related to dizzinesss). Now I get motion sick when I spin or swing too much, but the motion on a roller coaster is varied enough that doesn’t bother me.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-18-18), namazu (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 05:34 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Mildadhd, I also tend to get queasy from the motion in planes and cars
(especially if I have to read something),
but I didn't have a problem with roller coasters, oddly --
maybe because I could see exactly where I was going and anticipate the motion, and maybe because of the fresh air?

Of course, I don't know how well I'd tolerate a roller coaster in middle age!
I suspect I might enjoy it less now, but I don't know.

Have you ever tried downhill skiing? (I haven't; only cross-country.) If so, what did you think of that?
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 05:45 PM

I really like both down hill sking, and cross country sking, but have not done either for at least 25 years after blowing out my knees.

I also worry about loose nuts and bolts on roller coasters, but I do not think that has much to do with nausea, because nausea occurs on swings at the playground.

Maybe anxiety?

M
namazu (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 05:59 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I really like both down hill sking, and cross country sking, but have not done either for at least 25 years after blowing out my knees.
Ah, bummer!

I was curious if downhill skiing was similar to roller coasters for you,
in that it involves rapid motion and hills and some sense of falling
(and excitement and adrenaline and wind rushing through your hair, if you have hair, and so on). Sounds like you enjoyed downhill skiing much more than roller coasters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd
I also worry about loose nuts and bolts on roller coasters, but I do not think that has much to do with nausea, because nausea occurs on swings at the playground.

Maybe anxiety?
Sounds like it.

It's probably reasonable to wonder if the coasters are well-maintained
(especially because there have been cases in the news where things weren't and bad outcomes ensued),
but if you spend the whole time worrying that the whole coaster will fall apart and being certain you're gonna die, then it's more likely unhelpful anxiety
(unless it keeps you off an unsafe coaster in the first place!).

TygerSan, if you ever find yourself in the Chicago or Milwaukee areas with a sunny day to spare, you might enjoy the American Eagle at Great America in Gurnee, Illinois.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-19-18), TygerSan (10-25-18)
Old 10-18-18, 06:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

I don't like the ones that do a 360, terrifying. I went on Space mountain a long time ago, they emptied my pockets and purses, can't imagine what valuables they shake people down for and I got off that ride shaking, swearing never again. I don't need thrills like that, lol. I think the Ferris Wheel is almost as terrifying.

What I do like and have never gotten enough of, are movies that take you on a virtual roller coaster ride, I find a lot of fun and amazement in that experience and I don't mean fancy tech stuff, I mean just plain old-fashioned passenger hand-held camera perspective.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-19-18), namazu (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 11:06 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,213 Times in 7,325 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

The faster, more curves and loops the better for me. I like the wildest ones the best.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-19-18), mildadhd (10-19-18), namazu (10-18-18)
Old 10-19-18, 01:19 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,450 Times in 15,034 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I used to then once I had kids my equilibrium changed and I get motion sick.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-19-18), namazu (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 04:42 AM

You'll never get me in one of those giant tea cups again!

M
lisariver (10-19-18), namazu (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 06:32 AM

Thanked 21,487 Times in 11,522 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
The faster, more curves and loops the better for me. I like the wildest ones the best.
Me too! Safe terror, I love it!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-20-18), mildadhd (10-19-18), namazu (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 09:35 AM

Thanked 10,865 Times in 5,839 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

No I get motion sick not enjoyable at all..I can take extreme heights but can't do spinning motions
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-19-18), namazu (10-19-18)
Old 10-22-18, 04:18 AM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road

Definatly no.

Im getting instant nauseatic from it. Further more im constantly anxious being in everything that leaves the ground. This counts for flying, roller coasters, bungie, sometimes even trampolines if it lets you jump very high. Btw, always be careful using trampolines, a guy my mom works with, jumped once on it and was cross section paralysed after. My mom got herself a damaged miniscus. Just be careful on those :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Vrantic For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-25-18)
Old 10-24-18, 07:08 PM

Thanked 3,984 Times in 2,052 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Absolute no roller coasters for me. That falling feeling is the worse feeling ever.

I love skiing though I try to stay at controlled speeds and not too steep slopes. The main difference for me I think is control. With roller coasters I have no control in terms of being able to stop the coaster. With skiing, I have the power to stop myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-25-18)