ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-18, 09:31 AM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road
Having to wake up and commute before the sun comes up is miserable....

I am SO sleepy. I have to wake up at 5am to get to work by 7am. Now that it's winter, it's pitch black all the way up to me getting into work. I can get up and moving decently but about halfway through my train ride at 6:30 I get miserably sleepy and it lingers until about 8am-9am at work. They say that waking up and seeing sunlight helps our bodies wake up and regulates our circadian rhythms. I just feel so miserable and like I'm working in an underground bunker now that it's winter
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ShipwreckSiren For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-29-18), lisariver (10-29-18), mildadhd (10-30-18), namazu (10-29-18), thorfinnur (Yesterday)
Old 10-29-18, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Having to wake up and commute before the sun comes up is miserable....

Maybe somehow you could incorporate a light therapy lamp into your day, not sure it's the answer, but I know someone who's happy with verilux.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-29-18), mildadhd (10-30-18), namazu (10-29-18)
Old 10-29-18, 02:19 PM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road

Yeah i can feel you. Same here, they set time now to winter time and suddenly everything is dark. Dark when you leave and so when you come back. I really dont know what really helps this but there are few things i know:

Vitamin D ("Sunlight Vitamin")
Magnesium
L-Tyrosin
Light therapy as lisa mentioned

More tipps are welcome
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vrantic For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-29-18), mildadhd (10-30-18), namazu (10-30-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-18, 05:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,189 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

The eastern states keep trying to force this on us through daylight savings. They keep doing trial after trial expecting a different outcome to the vote. But when they do a trial everyone is a miserable AF and no one copes so we all vote no again and again and then keep copping abuse about being backwards from the rest of the country. People are ao stupid.
mildadhd (10-30-18)
Old 10-29-18, 10:44 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,209 Times in 7,322 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipwreckSiren View Post
I am SO sleepy. I have to wake up at 5am to get to work by 7am. Now that it's winter, it's pitch black all the way up to me getting into work. I can get up and moving decently but about halfway through my train ride at 6:30 I get miserably sleepy and it lingers until about 8am-9am at work. They say that waking up and seeing sunlight helps our bodies wake up and regulates our circadian rhythms. I just feel so miserable and like I'm working in an underground bunker now that it's winter
I’ve always had issues with waking up. It would take me hours or most of the day sometimes to feel awake enough not to feel miserably sleepy.

I’m not sure if you take stimulants for ADHD or not but I’m on Adderall. One morning I took my medication and was planning on getting up. I felt so sleepy, I thought, I would just close my eyes and wait for the medication to kick in. I fell so soundly asleep and woke up an hour later feeling like a new person.

I discussed this with my Dr. and she suggested, I set an alarm an hour or so before I needed to be up and take my medication. I’ve never had any problem going back to sleep in the early morning so, taking my med. wasn’t a problem.

Now, I set my pill alarm everyday an hour before I need to be up for work. I take my med. and fall right back to sleep. The results have been amazing and I feel like a “morning” person now when I get up. It’s been a game changer for me.

If you’re on meds. you may want to discuss dosing this way with your Dr.

Well wishes

Last edited by Greyhound1; 10-30-18 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Typo
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Alphawave (10-30-18), lisariver (10-30-18), Little Missy (10-30-18), mildadhd (10-30-18), namazu (10-30-18)
Old 10-30-18, 05:36 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,261 Times in 5,371 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about trying a sunlight alarm? I know people who swear by them. They provide broad spectrum light that gets progressively brighter with time.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-30-18), mildadhd (10-30-18), namazu (10-30-18)
Old 10-30-18, 08:59 PM

Thanked 1,029 Times in 609 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipwreckSiren View Post
I used to get up at 5am to go to work. I always slept on the van
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-31-18), mildadhd (10-30-18), namazu (10-30-18)
Old 10-31-18, 08:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,437 Times in 15,029 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes waking up an hour early and going back for a nap really helps. I know that I really love waking up early but I also love laying back down for a small nap later on in the morning as well.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-31-18, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Sometimes waking up an hour early and going back for a nap really helps. I know that I really love waking up early but I also love laying back down for a small nap later on in the morning as well.

Yeah I also do this, its the only way i can get up anyway.

Try to stand up 1 hours before you normally would and start slow. Really slow. Do whatever you want in that hours. I clean cat toilet and give food, eat my self, go back to bed to watch some youtube and after this, 1 hours is gone i got myself ready to go also in a slow way but steady.
Old 11-06-18, 01:38 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,437 Times in 15,029 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

And...daylight savings time is really stupid.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (11-06-18)
Old 11-10-18, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
And...daylight savings time is really stupid.

/sign

That makes it only harder to get up imho.
Old 11-11-18, 12:35 PM

Thanked 27,063 Times in 13,143 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have too much waking up, even in winter; but when I worked in an office, it was soul-crushing to see it start to get dark around 4 pm. Whether I stayed late or not, it always seemed like i worked about 3 hours overtime and left in the middle of the night. and on rainy evenings the train windows get foggy and i have to keep checking so I won't miss my stop.